Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hi Dazbo,

Sorry i only recieved half of your reply before for some reason...

Yes i agree, we would prefer 3+1 (seated together basically i suppose) so the children can sit together but if we do have to be seperated then i suppose 2+2 is the only option as with most families of 4.

Thank you

Emma B :tup
EmmaB88
if you are not going to pay the money for priority boarding then you will indeed be part of the scrum. kids get no special treatment -see posts by SMa.
priority boarding will at least let you get on the plane early enough to be able to choose the seats you want.
if you are not going to pay then you really need to keep your wits about you and get to the gate as soon as it is announced. all airports are different, but ryanair flights i have been on from different airports tend to get the gate number allocated to them around 40-45 minutes before departure and that is when you need to move. that is not the time to go for a last minute toilet stop!
there are many people who travel on ryanair regularly and they all have there own way of ensuring they get to the front of the queue before the "newbies".if you live near the airport then i would suggest you maybe take a trip there before you fly to get yourself used to where you are supposed to be, and get an idea of the gate you may be using as ryanair tend to have the same gates allocated for the same flights.
final piece of advice;
there are only 2 things you need to do when flying ryanair
1- read all their rules so you understand everything
2- refer to 1 above
enjoy playing the ryanair game ;)
wanting to check prices on Ryanair you have to go through putting in strange letters for security. Can anybody explain please how this helps them because it makes hard work of a simple job if you want to try different dates etc
Hi shrimper ... it's an attempt to block agents, you will find details a few pages back in the thread:
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4288&start=1440

David :wave
Just made 2 trips with Ryanair ALC-STN-ALC. All seats in rows 1, 2, 16 & 17 were reserved both ways. Those with reserved seats were boarded first with the priority boarders. As a regular user of PB it seems the only advantage now is that you get your hand luggage stowed in the cabin. The ALC-STN leg was almost full and a couple of people had bags taken off them to be stowed in the hold. The STN-ALC leg was full and about 10 bags were removed to the hold, including one couple who managed to forget their passports were in that bag and of course passports were checked on arrival...............
Morning guys :)

Do Ryanair let children take 'Trunki cases' on the plane as hand luggage?

Thank you

Those are ride on ones? I think I've seen them in the boarding queue but whether they are allowed on I don't know. I guess they have to meet the required measurements and don't forget that wheels are included in the measurements.
They would have to fit the luggage frame at the gate over all their extremities. The ones I've seen have wheels that stick out a little more than the case itself and are slightly humped in the middle - that all counts. Don't forget the weight, Ryanair like most airlines also have a tight weight limit on cabin baggage.
Thank you for your replies :)

Does anybody know what age is classed as a infant with Ryanair? As my booking says all 4 of us are allowed 10kg of hand luggage but this Ryanair T&C's page says that 'all passengers (EXCEPT INFANTS) are allowed 10kg of luggage'??!! We are flying with a 9 year old and a 2 year old.

Thank you

Hi Emma ... an infant is regarded as aged 8 days to 23 months, and a child as aged 2 years to 16 years.

David :wave
going back to the Trunki question, I think you'd better get an accurate ruler and measure it. The manufacturer says they are 46x31x20.5 which makes them a touch too wide for Ryanairs 55x40x20 but you might squeeze it in the frame if tested at the gate. But John Lewis say they are 46x31x21 wide and if that's over the wheels they might not squeeze in.
Are they really that strict that they would stop us for 1cm if we did get stopped?? :really Im hoping that because they are very popular we wont get stopped ;) Fingers crossed anyway.

Thank you

Are they really that strict that they would stop us for 1cm if we did get stopped??

Yes - expect to see Ryanair staff patrolling the queues at the gate with the dreaded cardboard box. If they can't slide it over they'll make you check-in the offending bag.

Im hoping that because they are very popular we wont get stopped

Just because lots of people use them doesn't mean that Ryanair will let you off. Ryanair's cabin baggage sizes are smaller than the standard size used by most other scheduled airlines and hence what most luggage manufacturers advertise as being suitable for carry-on baggage. The responsible ones point out whether that excludes Ryanair or not. Frankly I think it's no coincidence that Ryanair does this - catching people out in the boarding queue is a nice little money earner for them.

Fingers crossed anyway.

And it's a nice little money earner because the charge for checking in a bag at the airport can be up 4 times what it would have cost to pre-book and pay in advance to check it in. So a bag that would have cost you £15/20/25 to pay for in advance could cost you £60/80/100 if they take it off you in the queue. Cheaper to buy a smaller case that does comply with their measurements or else be ready to hand over the plastic before they allow you to board.

Emma, I'm guessing that you haven't flown with Ryanair before? There are two key things to always remember and never forget with Ryanair:

1) You only get what you pay for.

2) They implement their rules and regulations to the letter and make you pay for it (literally!) if you don't.

In your situation I wouldn't be relying on crossed fingers unless I was willing to cheerfully cough up the money to have the bag checked-in if it was taken off me in the boarding queue.

There are some airlines that I would chance blagging it - Cubana has a very generous check-in luggage allowance of 32kgs for international flights but even so on one memorable occasion I turned up at Gatwick with in excess of 50kgs! I got away with it because I could happily open one of the cases and prove that it had educational materials in it that I was taking for a local school in Santiago. But even so I had a friend tee'd up to take that case home with her if they refused to let me check it in. Their allowance for internal flights is only 20 kgs and I've got away with more by carefully saying that I understand that the excess baggage fee is 1CUC per kilo and making it clear that I don't have time to wait for a receipt. But that's Cubana for you - I'd never ever dream that I'd get away with something similar with Ryanair.

SM
I've been using Ryanair for years now and never had a problem. Just make sure you follow the instructions properly - check-in online, take your boarding passes with you, ensure each bag is within the weight you have paid for (you cannot 'pool' weight), hand luggage within the required dimensions and maximum of 10kg and only one item per person. If you do all those things you won't have a problem and will find Ryanair to be just as good, and a bit more reliable, as any other no frills carrier.
hand luggage within the required dimensions

OK, I was a bit more longwinded about it :D but presumably you are also advising Emma not to chance taking handluggage that exceeds the stated allowed dimensions? Or have I misread your post and you are saying that you DO think that she can afford to run the risk, take a chance and hope for the best that she won't be stopped at the gate? If that's the case I hope that you are willing to chip in with the fee she'll have to pay to check it in at the airport if she is stopped :think

SM
Yes, just to be clear. The gate staff patrol the queue waiting to boards and check any hand baggage they suspect to be close to the limit. 1cm over is 1cm over, not within the dimensions.

And just to reiterate; the charges for checking the bag into the hold at the airport are £60/£80/£100/£120 depending the time of year you are flying.

luci :wave
SMa wrote:

presumably you are also advising Emma not to chance taking handluggage that exceeds the stated allowed dimensions?

That is exactly what I am saying.

SMa wrote:

Or have I misread your post and you are saying that you DO think that she can afford to run the risk, take a chance and hope for the best that she won't be stopped at the gate?

Yes you have and no I don't.

SMa wrote:

If that's the case I hope that you are willing to chip in with the fee she'll have to pay to check it in at the airport if she is stopped

No :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.