General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I don't think that £45-£60 is too much to pay for peace of mind but you could possibly get it cheaper by buying a cheaper lotion and re-applying it often,depends how much time you want to save really.
If Riemann P20 works for you, buy it. I pay more than £15 a bottle for normal sunscreen if I can't get if on offer or ebay :rofl £45-£60 is not a lot for a month's sun tan lotion.
I got my son some Riemann when he was warm weather training and he hated it. Ended up using someones Nivea spray. Hubby tried Piz Buin once a day and he came out in a couple of large brown blotches, one of which has never faded after about 3 years.
I just stick to Piz Buin Tan Intensifier or Lancaster Tan Optimizer and hubby used what ever I buy him. It is most perturbing that he has taken a liking to my SPF though :yikes
Been checking out prices for Riemann P20, seeing nothing else matches this (not that I can see) I will be buying 4x200ml in the near future.

Saw it in Tesco today but at £20 I decided not to buy it. Cheapest I have seen it at the moment is on Amazon for £15.99, they only allow you to buy 3 at a a time.
Just to throw another into the mix the lady I work for swears by Ultrasun and never uses anything else for her family . It's not cheap but reviews on amazon all look very positive so could be another consideration. I would of mentioned it earlier but couldnt remember what it was called until I checked yesterday.

you need to google it really but heres one link so you know what it looks like

http://www.ifsogo.com/Holiday/Ultrasun
Hi, just wondering what's the best suncream to use for a toddler? I've looked back a few pages if this thread but it's soo long! So thought I'd ask, he will be almost 17 months and are thinking of going to Majorca beginning sept for 10-11 days.

I think one that can be applied once a day sounds great as as you can imagine it's nktthe easiest of tasks getting suncream on little uns! but are they really any good? I don't want to take any chances.

Also any other tips for keeping him sun safe would be brill, he will keep a hat on for a bit but does keep taking it off, I know obviously staying in the shade where possible and possibly a uv wetsuit. I'm so paranoid about him getting burnt by the sun :-( we've had a few nice days here and I've been slapping (not literally slapping! Lol) the suncream on.

I want to make sure he's protected when he's not in the shade as it's not possible to keep him in the shade all the time, like when he's in the swimming pool.

Any tips? What do others do?
Hi Linzi_lou

I wouldnt be happy just using the once a day stuff either. I usually get my creams from the Avon book. I use a factor 50 sun cream for my daughter and then top up with a coloured spray of about factor 30 throughout the day. We made, from a very early age, putting on sun cream a fun thing to do. Even though my daughter is 7 years old now, we still put sun cream hand prints all over her then rub them off etc. *Touch wood* she has never burnt in all the years that we have travelled so we must be doing something right. I will say that hats and tshirts are a must! Sainsburys do legionnaire hats which are brilliant - they can wear them in the pool (swim suit material and they dry out super quick) and they protect the neck too. I always make daughter wear a tshirt from about midday to protect her shoulders. You could alway buy a cheap paddling pool whilst you are away and let your child use that instead of the big pool, it might be easier to keep him in the shade with an umbrella then as well.
Thankyou very much I like the idea of making it fun! Will try that, also what is a coloured spray? I think that's a good idea too, applying the high factor in the morning maybe that could be an all day one, then reapplying another throughout the day as we use factor 30 anyway, that's a thought actually though, does it have to be childrens suncream or can it be the same as we use? I saw the idea of a small paddling pool on the forum so I have brought one :-) and I think I will get those hats you mentioned, blimey going cost a fortune! Worth it though!
By coloured spray I mean the stuff that has a colour added to it. Think the one I have for this year is turquoise but ive seen purple and blue as well. I think the purpose is so that you can see where you are spraying and again makes it fun. Im not really sure about adult sun cream for kids. Maybe the kids creams are a more gentle forumula :que I have always brought separate creams for us but then I do use a factor 20 for myself and can apply it more regularly whereas getting your kids to stop and apply cream is harder. The hats in sainsburys are about £6 so not too expensive but as you say, whatever the cost would be worth it for peace of mind.
We have always done a similar sort of routine ( Even though my children are now teens )

We are all very pale skinned but never used special childrens lotions. Just Slap loads of normal high factor lotion on before we leave the room for breakfast and then usually use a spray for top up's during the day . when they were very small I'd reapply in the room all over after lunch as in the morning with the high factor normal lotion.

Now We like the ambre soliare "Clear " spray for top ups. easy to use and doesnt need loads of rubbing in when you are trying to catch the little blighters for more lotion.

The ultrasun I mentioned earlier is very good for small children but it's expensive.

If they spend a lot of time in the water or the sea in particular i'm not sure I would trust the once a day .
On our arrival in cuba last year we all put on the piz buin once a day . The lads spent an hour or so in the sea and then we all zonked on the sunbed exhausted from the travel. My son fell asleep for around half an hour and he burnt his back quite badly even though he had the once a day on . The salty sea and wind is very dangerous.
Oh right I didn't no they did things like coloured sprays! oh thats good to kn ow then lyn, I'll have a look round and see what I can find. but think I'll go with the same as you for applying the cream. Thanks alot :-)
In case you didnt catch it I did edit and add more to my above post.
Just bought the Ambre solaire After sun tan maintainer for £5 in Asda. The cheapest I've found it elsewhere is over £9. I reckon I got a bargain ;)

I think it's an excellent product for doing exactly as it says on the tin (or in this case tube lol)
What does it do then shirley . Keep your tan or lack of it in my case ??
Yes Lyn :D I've been using it ever since I came back from Spain with a hint of a tan (due to only having 2 days of sun). I swear I'm getting slightly browner each day or it's just my imagination. It might very well contain a slight amount of fake tint but I don't think so. I've noticed the johnson's and Dove holiday skin, leaves a brown mess around the bottle but there's no hint of colour around the nozzle of the Ambre Solaire tan maintainer :que It's got a gorgeous smell too.
If you've got an Asda nearby I'd get it there. I've been using it after my hols since somebody recommended it last year.
Hi lyn oh yes, thats shocking that they burnt when it's supposed to be once a day allocation for all day protection! I'll give that a miss then! Thanks for letting me know. That Amber solair tan intensifier sounds good too, I think I might have used that before.
To be fair Linzi they were in the sea for a long time and I'm not even sure the once a day would recommend you not re-applying after that. :que
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.