Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Thanks Steve. . .I knew you'd be the pony to back! :D

I should also mention, re the double-booking plan, the same theme appears on other review sites, and I was in a queue (of 6) to be re-located that night, and the girl said that she had transferred over 20 guests prior to us. . .so administrative error doesn't cut it!

Thanks

Trevor
Thanks, will add that information to the mix. Steve
Hi Steve,

I wonder if you can give us an explanation- I am curious :D After a question i had from another member, I've decided to see if you can shed some light.

On TR's website there are very similar room descriptions within the same property with very different prices. Can I give you an example?

When I was going through the booking process for the cabello hotel, torremolinos. I was offered a week's accomodation in a choice of 2 rooms. Room 1- double bed and breakfast=£202 or Room 2- Twin/Double Room Breakfast= £304

I booked the cheaper option as I did with my previous booking for last Easter but can you tell us what is the difference in the rooms? As far as the descriptions go, the only difference is that you can only get a double bed (no twins) in the first room. So does that mean it costs £102 (difference between two prices) to get twins instead of a double or does it mean that the rooms are exactly the same but a certain amount are offered at the lower price and once those are gone we have to pay the more expensive tariff?

It will be interesting to see how this works. I've only brought it up now as another member is wondering if it's worth paying the more expensive price :think

Thanks Steve, looking forward to your explanation.
Hi Shirley, had a quick look at your booking, and then at availability for 7-14Apr-12. Not sure when Easter is, but it gets us close enough!

There are three rooms showing, but they are from three separate providers. To avoid confusion, and clutter, we try and edit duplicate room types, only showing the cheapest. However, when the providers choose one of twin or double and then twin/double, we see that as three room types! How our plans were dashed!

We took easy option, and called the hotel. They have 6 doubles and 12 twins.

On the price, my rather obvious suggestion is go for the cheapest (as long as you want a double), as that provider has the best deal at the hotel!

Does that help?

Steve
Very much so steve. I didn't think about the different providers charging different prices :D So in essence you can get exactly the same room but pay a higher price depending on the provider. I'm glad I chose the cheapest option then. I didn't think I'd be missing out by picking the cheapest but i just wanted to check.

thanks again :tup
Thanks for raising the query Shirley, as well as Steve for answering it. I've noticed this on other websites as well as TR and had always wondered.
I called TR a while ago to ask what the difference in prices was and was told that it was different suppliers.

luci :wave
one of the reasons that different suppliers charge different prices, as well as their profit margin, is that some suppliers will have a contract giving them first choice of rooms and so they will get the best rooms, most of the ones with a sea view, less of the ones over the disco or with a view of the dustbins.
a company contracting for a large number of rooms throughout the season will obviously be more able to specify what they want, and get, as opposed to a smaller company who may only contract for a few rooms.
this may also explain why you do not always get your request for a sea view or a high floor.
That's a good point Jim. I suppose it depends on the hotel. The hotel i've booked is very small and basic with not many rooms and I don't think there'd be a big difference in any of the rooms. I was told the rooms at the front were the best ones and although I only paid the cheaper price I e-mailed the hotel to ask for a room in the front and I got it :)
i have found some good quotes for travel republic, will have to read through this thread as very worried about booking a company like this that dont see in high street, holiday was for tenerife
the hotel i had recent quote for was Aparthotel Cordial Golf Plaza Golf del Sur, Tenerife
dawn - it it's your first time at booking DIY & you're worried about the process, why not contact Steve (see post above), and I'm sue he'll be able to guide you through the process. I've booked through Travel Republic several times, and never had problems. In fact, we've booked our holiday to Malta at Easter through them :tup
Once again very many thanks to Steve for all the prompt assistance in helping to book the children's holidays after a technical hitch on the system. Don't EVEN think of leaving or retiring early Steve!! xx :thanks :kiss
Flowers for Steve and kiss for Mrs Steve in case anyone is wondering!! x
Nothing wrong in giving a thank you kiss to Steve, for his assistance jenny ;)
Ha! You had me blushing there Jenny! No, Jenny asked why something wasnt working, which is vital for us to know, especially if we havent spotted it ourselves. Only to glad to help in return for important information like this!

Steve
Staff reassured after 75% of Travel Republic sold

Online travel agency Travel Republic was hoping to reassure staff today after the company sold 75% of its shares to a subsidiary of Emirates.

Staff were surprised to hear that dnata, a large air services provider, had bought a majority stake despite knowing that the agency was looking for investment.

Dnata would not disclose the price agreed on 28 December.

Managing director Kane Pirie declined to speak today but has previously said the deal will help to accelerate growth and that the agency would continue to expand and recruit.

In a press release he said: "We are excited that Travel Republic has joined the dnata family. dnata is forward thinking and ambitious."

It is not confirmed yet whether Pirie will stay at the company or not.

The acquisition continues dnata's international expansion and is one of the biggest transactions in the company's 52 year history.

"Travel Republic will complement our existing leisure and corporate travel services in Dubai and internationally," said Iain Andrew, divisional senior vice president of dnata's travel business.

"The company has an impressive, dynamic management team and I am confident that together we can further develop the business, in line with the outstanding service and quality for which dnata is renowned."

Travel Republic has been one of the fastest growing agencies in recent years moving towards dynamic packaging using low cost airlines.

It was also found not guilty of breaching ATOL regulations after regulators at the CAA took court action. The CAA dropped the case.

The business was set up in 2003, the brainchild of two university friends; Paul Furner and Chris Waite.

Pirie joined in 2005 as finance and operations director.

With permission from Travelmole
I`ve used Travel Republic quite a few times in recent years to book hotels both in the UK and abroad. I`ve found them to be reliable and their prices good by comparison. Hopefully this will continue to be the case, but from past experience company takeovers seldom work in the favour of the customer.
Watch this space the ayrshire tripper. The original owners and management team are still in place, with vested interest in continuing success of new company. We have only done so well, so quickly, by offering decent customer service for travel products we have sold at very competitive prices. The plan is to continue in this vein.

Steve
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.