Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
Trips to Turkey
6 Posts
We did the Turkey trip a couple of years ago. We booked it trought the rep, however all the trips the reps do are sold in Lindos for less. It was a good day, however I am not sure that I would recommend it to anyone. We were taken to the Bazaar in Marmaris, where we went to a leather shop, then to a carpet shop,and finally to one that sold T-shirts. There are about 3000 shops in the Bazaar, all seling the same things!
After a couple of hours free time we than boarded our coach to a Turkish Delight "Factory". However we did not get to see any being made :( Then after that it was back to the coach and onwards to the entertainment. Turkish dancing and a meal. Then back to Rhodes. As I said, a good day which I am glad we did, but it did feel like a big sales push. I think I'd rather go back to Turkey and see the country for what it really is.
The only tip I have is to pack plenty of sunscreen. The heat in Lindos is not a patch on Turkey!
After 14 years of going to Rhodes , we did the trip to Marmaris ,Turkey last year. Never again. The traders there are so rude.Even grab your arm to pull you into shops.
Hi, Been over to Marmaris a couple of times from Rhodes. It's always cheaper to book locally than via the rep. You get coach transport to rhodes port and also on your return. But remmember that when you get to the port you need to pay your port taxes these are not include in the ticket price I think for a day trip this is currently 15 Euro. My advice is if you don't mind walking (20-30Mins) don't use the coach from Marmaris port (you can use a taxi if you want don't worry just ask them the approx cost before starting trip).
If you walk take road out of port turn left at the main road just outside the port then keep left when road forks carry on walking along this road for about 300 -400 yards you pass a large building on your left once you have passed this building you need to take a left this will take you eventually into a small harbour area cross the bridge and keep left following the harbour round you will eventually pass the Bazaar (on your right) which is good to have a wander round shop keepers as always try to get you to go into their shop and if you do don't forget to haggle over the price they will take turkish euro or sterling. Better still go for an early breakfast at one of the many bars (full english for £1). this will mean that you will have to walk further up the promenade and once the main road splits away form the front either fork left and walk along the beach front loads of bars along here or follow main road for your breakfast. Don't forget how long it takes to walk back for your return journey! just show your card when entering the port the guard might come out of his hut to check you are travelling! Cigs etc much cheaper in duty free shop at ferry port than in Rhodes (but don't forget you can only take back 200 cigs each into Rhodes). When you return to port in rhodes its all a bit hectic trying to find the coach to drop you back off at your resort don't panic and look for the lady from the catamaran she will make sure you find the right transport. Hope that this gives you a bit of useful information. By the way it can be slightly rocky to say the least on the way back so if you are not good on the sea be warned!!!
We have only just arrived back from Pefkos at the weekend and found Rhodes wonderful.
However, regarding the trip over to Marmaris, we would never do it again and has certainly put me off going to Turkey for a holiday. Not only was it the most expensive tour that we did but it was the worst one. Taxes have to be paid (about 15 euros) over and above the tour price and once we were at Marmaris we were driven a short ride for a Turkish breakfast which really was quite nice. After a short stop there we were then taken to a Turkish Delight factory and which lasted about half an hour and were given a talk on how it was made, but didn't actually see any been made although plenty on offer to purchase. We were then taken to the Bazaar and to a carpet factory and t shirt premises - supposedly to be enlightened as to how to tell the difference between fakes and the real thing. Again a lot of pressure to purchase. After that it was free time to look round bazaar (about 3000 shops) I say look, but unfortunately you weren't even able to do that, if you as much as glanced in the window, you were all but dragged into the shop. We found the whole experience very intimidating even though we don't mind doing a big of haggling if something catches our eye, With the temperature at 45C, we found the stress and the heat too much and couldn't wait to get back on to the boat again never to return. :(
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.