Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
This picture demonstrates to me why it's better to be safe than sorry....

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap100419.html
Although it seems that Airlines have made some 'safe' test flights - NATO are reporting otherwise as some fighters have shown signs of engine damage after flying in the ash clouds.....

Here's the quote from the BBC website and I have included a link for the news item posted at 12.07 if the quote is not allowed (does this constitute non commercial use ?) :(

Nato fighter jets have suffered engine damage after flying through volcanic ash cloud, a senior US official has said. The official gave few details except to say that a build-up of glass was found in the jet engines.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8629051.stm

John.

OOps - didn't see Darrens post about the F16's......
Babs135 wrote:
..........It would be an interesting exercise to find out from those stranded tourists whether they would prefer to wait it out a little longer or take the chance on a flight home, based on a few test flights.

Speaking as one of those stranded tourists (I'm currently stranded in Kuala Lumpur), I'm quite happy to wait until they're sure it's safe to fly home!

Elaine
there appears (flightradar24) to be flights above Belguim, Netherlands, Germany, Czech Republic, Poland, Hungry, Austria, Sebia, Belarus, Bulgaria, Italy and a few others at the moment (can't all be test flights, some have several planes up)
john123 wrote:
More on the NATO fighters damage .......Maybe not - this is dayed 16/04 - Old news ?

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/04/16/340727/pictures-finnish-f-18-engine-check-reveals-effects-of-volcanic.html

John

Just said on SKY that NATO aircraft are flying as normal.
AskCy wrote:
there appears (flightradar24) to be flights above Belguim, Netherlands, Germany, Czech Republic, Poland, Hungry, Austria, Sebia, Belarus, Bulgaria, Italy and a few others at the moment (can't all be test flights, some have several planes up)

Austria opened up it's airspace/airports this morning. Germany has operated some flights to bring it's stranded tourists back home over the last couple of days.
:D

Well holiday is not going ahead but Thomson have refunded us in cash today so we are pleased enough with that
I arrived home at Midnight last night, should have flown home in Thursday from Germany. I consider myself luck speaking to other Brits in Germany some didn't have Eurostar tickets until Wednesday/Thursday.

Dave
helenllama: The rail & sail is possible on the Belfast-Stranraer route, changes of train are at Ayr and Glassgow. I'm also looking at the Larne - Cairnryan with P&O, need to check transport from Cairnryan to nearest train station.

dksbbs: Glad you've got home safe.

Thinking of all HT memebrs who are either stranded or have family/friends stranded abroad.
SKY NEWS breaking news saying their 'sources' say airspace will re-open tomorrow.....Scottish 0600, Midlands 1200, Southern 1800. No official story attached to their website, just the headline.
Headline just changed to "UK Air MAY be opening again tomorrow".
Scottish airspace is to temparally re-open at 7am Tuesday morning. Airports south to a line between Teesside and Blackpool will also open temparally, including Northern Ireland. Further details on NATS website. A further update will be given at 2100 this evening. There is a possibility with a reduction in ash emissions and changes in winds, the line may move south meaning the possitbility for other airports, including London to open. I will stress, possibility. An update on this is expected in the morning at 0700.

EDIT: things are changing by the minute and the volcano activites have increased again.

Darren
East midlands too tomorrow,, things are looking a little better, so fingers crossed for everyone :)
Manchester airport are reporting they will reopen for flights at 9am in the morning (Tuesday).
Lufthansa are flying 50 planes back to Germany for repatriation of German nationals.

Fingers crossed all goes well with the flights and they encounter no problems.

Van
Imagine still being in the same clothes 5 days on with nothing packed for a trip of this length?

I think most of us have been thinking of passengers unable to travel but we should also remember the aircrew such as Vic. Although no doubt his company will provide accommodation and presumably food, how do you manage with no spare clothes? Passengers already in resort at least have clothes which they can get washed.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.