Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
According to Sky news BA are to start operating long haul flights from Heathrow at 1900 hrs tomorrow.
That is good news for everyone stranded and those who are hoping to get away end of this week/over the weekend. Might hold off contacting Stena till after the 0700 update.
BA website say they hope to be operating flights from London tomorrow.
highfieldc,

Liverpool airport should open tomorrow morning but you'll need to contact your airline for specific flight information. Ryanar have already ceased flights until 1300 Wednesday. Refer to Ryanairs website. If you've booked everything through Travel Republic, including flights, you'll need to sort everything out through them.

Darren
After three emotional days, endless phone calls, texts and watching websites, my stranded sister and family are no longer stranded. As of noon tomorrow, they are on a coach leaving Venice for Manchester. Royal Caribbean stated that they were responsible for getting them home when their cruise finished, so considering that it all happened over a weekend end, I think they have acted quite quickly. I for one, am very glad and can't wait to hug my sister! Although she hates coach travel!
I know its terrible and families have been without dads or mums, peoples money has been strained, people are strugling etc but this is going to make some stories for around the table when its all "blown over" (accidental pun)

Steve
I don't know about anyone with family/friends stuck overseas but I have spent the last 4 nights tossing and turning, dreaming of empty airports, empty runways and tracking an ash cloud and the last 5 days worrying, watching news channel, checkings NATS, Schipol, KLM websites, sending them text updates every few hours and trying to sort out problems such as affordable car hire and the like.

I will be SO glad when this is all over, tonight the news seems so much more positive, mind I'm thankful I'm not going to be one of the first to fly, just hope and pray that nothing bad happens! We are just keeping everything crossed that my sister and her family makes it out of the US on Thurday and lands safely at Durham Tees Valley on Friday morning!

Oh and I contacted bro-in-law's travel insurers today and they said that in such circumstances your policy is automatically extended and there was no need to do anything.
BA website say on Tuesday 20 April they will aim to operate all longhaul departures that were scheduled to depart after 4pm and all shorthaul departures scheduled to depart after 7pm. This will however be subject to the full and permanent opening of airspace.

All flights before these times have been cancelled.

Great news that Dibley's and tisonlymoi's families are on the way home and hope they arrive safely. I'm very much hoping to get away with BA on Saturday to Tunis.
Just been on 6pm BBC News that Manchester, Blackpool & Liverpool will be operational from 9am tomorrow, together with a few more airports but not sure of names,lets hope they don't change it.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8630455.stm
We were due to fly tomorrow to turkey thomson has gave us all our money back :) east midlands has refunded or car parking :) and our insurance has moved to another holiday at the end of the year so even though im gutted we are not off on holiday im so happy its sorted i think i would of been worried flying tomorrow.
just goes to show you that no matter what sort of tech, skills and things we the human race come up with, you find mother nature is boss !
Dibley: Pleased to hear your sister is on her way home, hopefully she's on a newer coach with climate control.

tisonlymoi: Hope your sister and her family get home on friday. I haven't been checking NATS over the weekend but have been on here a lot more than usual. I've also looked at alternative ways of getting over to England on Friday.

liana: Glad you've managed to rearrange a holiday for later in the year.

The latest I've got from the One show is that airports in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Northern England are re opening tomorrow morning with airports further south reopening tomorrow afternoon. BBC are saying that the line that will reopen tomorrow morning is as far south as between Teeside and Blackpool.

I'm more hopeful now that hubby and I will be flying on Friday evening.
Just a quick update on brother being stranded in New York - well the flight they had booked for tonight Monday was cancelled and the next flight home all four of them can get on is on the 1st May !!!!!!
Virgin contacted my other half today and told him he is now on a May 1st flight back from America. He was due to fly last thursday....it seems those across the Atlantic have another 2 weeks to wait :(
cate-taylor - thanks
greenshoes - they also where due home last Thursday morning - but as you see now the 1st May - on the news they seem to be concentrating on people stranded in Europe others don't seem to get a mention really. Oh well at least they at least have a date - fingers crossed
Flightradar24 is showing the Northern Med and Turkey getting very busy but only 3 aircraft over Greece. Look forward to seeing some activity over UK tomorrow.
Those across the Atlantic don't seem to be getting much help at all. Atleast they have a date now I suppose.
Latest from NATS:

NATS (INVALID URL wrote:
Since our last statement at 1530 today, the volcano eruption in Iceland has strengthened and a new ash cloud is spreading south and east towards the UK. This demonstrates the dynamic and rapidly changing conditions in which we are working.

Latest information from the Met Office shows that the situation is worsening in some areas. Based on this information, the situation for Northern Irish airports for the morning is uncertain, due to the new ash cloud. The latest information shows that Scottish airports should be available from 0700 and more airspace over England may become available from 1300 although not as far south as the main London airports.

We will continue to monitor Met Office information and the situation is likely to change overnight. We will make a further statement at approximately 0300 (local time), tomorrow, Tuesday 20 April and again at 0900 (local time).

NATS is maintaining close dialogue with the Met Office and with the UK's safety regulator, the CAA, in respect of the international civil aviation policy we follow in applying restrictions to use of airspace.

We are working closely with Government, airports and airlines, and airframe and aero engine manufacturers to get a better understanding of the effects of the ash cloud and to seek solutions.

Gower
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.