Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I do fear that tomorrow will be a day full of disruption, of course please check the latest information from your airline.
Latest as I understand it...

A research plane will be departing Oxford to monitor the ash cloud at 7pm for a period of 2 hours heading toward Prestwick and surrounding areas.

NATS is due to make a statement at 8pm regarding reopening airspace.

Van
for those intrested in the nat geo programme.

It is about flight BA009.
Latest situation here in Northern Ireland is that Belfast City (George Best) Airport is closed until at least 1pm tomorrow. Belfast International and City of Derry airports won't be operating until 12 noon. I would suggest that if any of you need to get to Northern Ireland tomorrow that you go to Holyhead and get the ferry to Dublin then either train or bus to where you want to get to, there is a regular service by both bus and train to Belfast from Dublin. Website is http://www.translink.co.uk Ferries to Belfast maybe full, spokesperson from Stena said they had an extra 2000 passengers today and have an extra 2000 booked for tomorrow. If you get the train to Holyhead, ask for Rail & Sail ticket, price for this is on http://www.sailrail.co.uk. Hope this information helps someone.
cate_taylor,

The restrictions apply to the whole of the UK and parts of europe and is unlikely to change for the next 24 hours the way things are going. As you aren't flying for another week, I wouldn't worry too much as anything can happen between now and a week tomorrow!

Darren
Have a friend who is on honeymoon in Thailand , her flight has been cancelled and she can t get on another one until Monday ! has to put an extra 3 nts accom on her credit card !!
Im due to fly out monday from manchester with thomas cook for a weeks holiday hope its clear by then
june39,

It is hard to say at the moment what the situation will be on monday, we have the whole weekend to get through first, so I wouldn't start panicking yet. Currently everyone is waiting for NATS to publish their statement with regards to what will happen after 07:00 tomorrow morning (Statement expected soon)

Gower
All UK Airspace closed until 1300 friday 16th. Some Northern Ireland and Western Isles/ Scotland flights may be allowed 0100 - 1300 hours.
I have a friend who is stuck out in Cyprus, and has been told the next flight they can be accommodated on is the 22nd!

They have been put up full board in a hotel in Paphos.
NATS advised restrictions in place until at least 1300 hrs Friday.

Mark :)
NATS Latest Statement

Current restrictions will remain in place until 13:00 tomorrow due to the cloud of volcanic ash still covering much of the UK.

However it may be possible that betwnn 01:00 and 13:00 flights from Northern Ireland and the Western Isles of Scotland to and from Glasgow, Edinburgh and Prestwick may be allowed, but will be subject to individual co-ordination.

There will be another review at 02:30 tomorrow morning on further arrangements for tomorrow

Gower
Mixed messages coming from Ireland on the situation there.

Aer Lingus has cancelled all flights within the UK & Europe until at least 1pm Friday, but says there is optimism that some transatlantic services will operate on Friday from Dublin & Shannon to the USA.

Met Eireann says high pressure in the north west is directing the ash towards Ireland, with no change in the weather pattern expected within the next few days.

The Irish National Emergency Response Co-ordinating Committee has said it is unlikely that aircraft will be able to operate in Irish airspace for the next 2 to 3 days, and there are no plans in place for holidaymakers stranded abroad.

David :wave
Just had a phone call from a work colleague's mother in law. There are 8 of them stuck out in Florida including 3 young children. They were due to fly back into Heathrow today and have spent most of the day stuck at the airport trying to get information. The latest they have been told is that it could be next Thursday before they can fly home, because of prioritisation. Luckily one of the party has been able to get accommodation through her time share allowance, but not until after lunch tomorrow. They hadn't found anywhere for tonight yet. Another work colleague is due back from Dubai on Saturday - we'll see what happens.
they're now saying closed until 1pm tomorrow
My Granddaughter is in Rome and was due to fly back with Jet2 today. School trip with 41 kids and adults. They have now travelled by coach to just outside Venice and are booked on 2 jet2 flights to Manchester and Leeds tomorrow if the flights are back in operation. They all flew from Leeds.

ME I have flights on Sunday Man/Heathrow/Miami to pick up a cruise in Fort Lauderdale. It only leaves tomorrow and Saturday so don't know what to expect. For the first time ever I am almost completely packed as we are staying in Manchester overnight Saturday. The most important fact is that this is a Transatlantic cruise and the first 5 days are sea days.
Thought we were in luck with the BA strike not effecting us.

Darren any thoughts on Sunday. It is like asking if you have a crystal ball?

Sue
You'll need a holiday by the time you get there Sue!! What a nightmare for you, first of all the worry of the BA strike and now this. :yikes I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that it will be cleared by Saturday and am so very grateful that I'm not due to fly until 24th.
Thanks for your post. Yes it is a bit of a nightmare but one I do nothing about so yes prayer is the only option and everything crossed. 24th you should be OK as all is very quiet re the BA strikes.

Sue
I heard someone on local news earlier who lost their holiday in January due to the collapse of Flyglobespan. They rebooked for March and lost that one due to the BA strike. Hoping for third time lucky, they rebooked for today and lost this one due to the closure of our airspace. With that level of misfortune, who would blame them for giving up and holidaying at home from now on ?

David :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.