Spain - Canary Islands - Lanzarote Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Lanzarote.
Showers overnight and this evening, but plenty of sun during the daytime, and warmer too. A very unsettled week ahead. :(
Heavy overnight rain with thunder clearing away and winds becoming strong with the odd heavy shower but good sunny periods as well. Reasonable temperatures but cool in the strong wind. :que
:( Err, are you actually here bawbee???? Major flooding throughout the island yesterday, big clean up operation going on!!! Some roads were impassable.
"Heavy overnight rain with thunder clearing away"

Is it the Scottish accent you don't understand? :que ;)

A very cool day today with strong winds continuing. A mix of sun and cloud with the odd shower. :(
;) Yep, sorry, probably it was your accent bawbee!!! But heavy overnight rain in no way describes what happened here on Lanzarote, although it might be the norm in Scottyland!!! I hope anyone arriving this week will understand that the floods have devastated homes and restaurants, amongst other things, and be patient if the clean up hasn't finished by the time they arrive. Here are some pictures of the chaos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34270717@N05/sets/72157625902420694/show/
wow what pics! such a shame. Where did the floods hit most was it in one place more than another?
Jan :(
Thanks for those Sue.

OMG what a mess!!! Those poor people who's lives have been affected. :cry I thought I'd been there when it rained and seen some floods but that is just mad!!
Hi Jan and Sunaddict, obviously a lot of those pics are of Arrecife, as it was very difficult to move around, but there are some there of Playa Blanca, Playa Honda, as well as inland. The whole island was affected, and Uga was cut off for a while, surrounded by water, and Yaiza was without power. Some of the minor roads are still cut off, mainly due to the mudslides, and a large part of the centre of the island is still covered with "lakes". The clean up continues, and although we had more very heavy rain through the centre of the island this morning, the sun is peaking out now!!
The owners of the villa we rent are there at the moment. He emailed a coupled of days ago and said it had been raining. Looks like it's been worse since then.
Still heavy rain from a weatherman's point of view - nothing exceptional. The problem's not with the weather, it's with the drainage system - or lack of it! :really

Better today with just an early shower, and with lighter winds, feeling warmer in the sunny intervals. 19/20C. :wave:
I despair :que

To quote you "nothing exceptional", from a weathermans point of view. Do you really have no sympathy for the poor people here who are wallowing in (now) mud? Of course the drainage system couldn't deal with that amount of rain......not that there are drainage systems in the outlying areas.....Lanzarote is just not used to that amount of rain in that amount of time!!! Just as UK couldn't cope with the snow.

To seem to make light of what has happened is, in my eyes, insensitive in the extreme :(
Despair away Suzi! :kiss
Still the odd heavy shower around today but most places dry with sunny periods.

Cloud massing to the west though to bring more rain tomorrow. :cry
A cloudy day with just the odd sunny interval. Only rain for an hour or two though, so a lot of dry weather. Cool 18C. :(

Brighter tomorrow. :)
A bit brighter but still a lot of cloud and a disappointingly cool day. :offtop
Brrrrrrrrrrr! :really

A chilly day today with a cold fresh wind. Quite sunny at times though. 18/19C.
oh no!

are we looking at this weather continuing! we are coming to PB in 22nd MAy for 2 weeks and hoping for some decent weather!!!
Very unlikely, but you are talking four months from now! How can anyone tell you what the weather will be doing then?
raychaeluk2001 wrote:
oh no!

are we looking at this weather continuing! we are coming to PB in 22nd MAy for 2 weeks and hoping for some decent weather!!!

Is this a wind up? :que

Winds a little bit lighter today so feeling a bit warmer. Cloud around in the morning but plenty of sun in the afternoon. 18/19C. :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.