France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Hi Almara -
The best place for you depends on who is going,if there are any children,and whether you like beach,countryside, mountain,valley city or mixture.
Dont forget that practically everyone in France seems to be on holiday for a month in August, so everywhere is very busy then.
There are very many towns and villages in France that have a lot of buildings dating back for hundreds of years - chateaux,Market Halls, Cathedrals and ancient houses.
When you have decided where you want to go, post again, and I'm sure you get lots of replies about the area you choose.
Us? We love the South West - Aquitaine especially.
You can't go wrong, wherever. :D :D :D
I was sceptical before venturing to Paris and i have to say that i was pleasently surprised. The French are very polite and say hello and goodbye when you enter shops etc, assistants in London can barely drag themselves away from themsleves to be as attentive. I did have trouble finding good food places, but i think i was just unlucky. I stayed in Monmartre which was magical as i went with my then partner and it snowed and snow settled on the artist's eisles. Their was a Dali exhibt on and it was fantastic.. i would def stay in Monmartre again... it's beautyful
Like everybody else ,I'd say give it a try. Again biased ,as I have a house in Brittany that I use and let ,but I love France and the French. It is cheaper for a holiday , but nothing like Spain or Greece. It really is good to try to use a little French , and you will get nothing but help and courtesy in return. Possibly a little resistance to persons making no effort at all . My rusty "o " level has always worked wonders everywhere . Go for it -- I think you will return to see more of a huge and diverse country.
France has plenty of history. They didn't seem to go through the period of ripping out everything old and replacing it like we did in the 60s.

Markets are great places to shop. I have always found the people very friendly and willing to help with my rusty French.

Take a look at the websites of the areas you are planning to visit. Most of them have a sign up page and they will post you info as well.
We've always had family holidays in Greece/Turkey/Balaerics but for the past couple of years I've also gone to stay with my sister in the Lot (just me and the kids for a week) and we love it :D . We like it so much we've been trying to persuade hubs to do the whole family holiday there but he is just not interested. Point blank refuses. I even picked up a Thomsons Al Fresco brochure the other day but he won't even look at it! :evil: I dont have 'o' level french, just keep my phrase book with me at all times! Brushing up at the moment with one of those CDs that came free with a newspaper- in preparation for our trip in July. Part of the fun of our holiday is getting by with the language. Can't wait. Wish I had a french person to talk to now ...
France has plenty of history. They didn't seem to go through the period of ripping out everything old and replacing it like we did in the 60s.

This was a very good point; I found the historical ambiance absorbing. This was especially around Montmartre. I know that the area is seen a rather touristy but I found it to me magical and soaked in history. A lot of the streets are like a walk into the past and then a French teenager streaks past on a moped.. Hey.. We work with what we have.
I have to say thankyou to Anice - your pic makes me smile everytime. :lol: :lol:
Just come back after driving over 2000 miles in France (almost 1800miles of it with the caravan)

Ok a lot was Autoroute BUT I'd rather drive the Autoroute blowing a gale and in driving rain for 9 hours as I did 8 days ago
than the 5 hour run on the M20/M25/M1 that I had 7 days ago

the traffic is more polite
You can see more of the road
and the HGV's are not trying to push you out of the way because they are going faster than the 55mph they are supposed to (for point of interest I was doing 65mph(yes 5mph over the speed limit for towing vehicles) in the middle lane when overtaken by a HGV in the outside lane )

No I'd rather drive in the gutter in France anyday
I've found french people to be pretty friendly (obviously there are exceptions), They don't openly gush like they can do in (say) the US, but it seems to be more sincere.

also a quick word on food.

It seems wherever you go in france, you will get good quality, well prepared food. Even touristy places take pride in the food they serve. No microwave rehated stuff at all!
Caffeine Demon said
I've found french people to be pretty friendly (obviously there are exceptions), They don't openly gush like they can do in (say) the US, but it seems to be more sincere.

also a quick word on food.
It seems wherever you go in france, you will get good quality, well prepared food. Even touristy places take pride in the food they serve. No microwave rehated stuff at all!

With visiting France at least twice a year for the past 16 years I've found that the Northern French HATE us Brits but it's the "We only speak English /Chav yobbo type" they identify to as being English When you speak French how-ever broken you get a different response
In Southern France (Med Coast) they don't give a toss where you come from as long as your money's good
Central France is more dignified and if you make the effort to speak French so will they try to speak English We've made lots of friends over the years

Also a word on food
IF you are eating with French folk you are expected to eat everything offered politely irrespective of what it is
I can heartily recommend Acacia Blossom dipped in batter and deep fried sprinkled in sugar (a spring speciality of the Charente region) but after 3-4 it's very filling but when they have brought you enough for you all to eat 8 ---------- you have to eat them all ! :oops:
I've found that the Northern French HATE us Brits but it's the "We only speak English /Chav yobbo type" they identify to as being English

I've found the same as you, Gray, and for those who misguidedly think that the French just hate the English, the Alsacians of eastern France also react similarly to their German neighbours who visit ... especially when their attitude indicates that they still consider Alsace to be annexed to Germany as it was in WW2.
We have had many holidays all over France, and love it. We do take our own car, usually a 4WD or MPV,as we find the higher driving position helpful. We have stayed in tents, mobile homes, gites, B&Bs and even the odd hotel.
We have found that:-
many country roads are practically deserted most of the time
the further South the more all shops are likely to be closed Saturday afternoon and all Sunday
watch out for "White Van Men" parked outside for a good place for a cheap
tasty lunch
British debits cards dont seem to work in 24hr petrol pumps
Clothes are expensive except in "Halles" and the supermarkets
Entry fees to Chateaux,gardens,zoos etc are cheaper than here
Buy your booze in a supermarket - the French all do.
Be sure to say Bonjour Madame(Monsieur) to anyone who serves you in a supermarket etc and also Au revoir.
It rains quite a lot on the Eastern side of France
There is very little litter anywhere
A boule de Compagne loaf will keep a couple of days
There is not usually a kettle, toaster or grill in most mobile homes or gites
There are very many attractive ancient villages and towns all over France
with wonderful flowers and trees, which you come across quite unexpectedly
Outside of Paris, EVERYONE is much friendlier and helpful than we have been led to expect.
One of the best places to take children of all ages in Normandy is the Chateau de Vendeuvre - and I bet you've never heard of it!!
Always take a roll of gaffer tape :lol:
welshwanderer Posted

We have had many holidays all over France,
We have found that:-
many country roads are practically deserted most of the time

British debits cards dont seem to work in 24hr petrol pumps

Buy your booze in a supermarket - the French all do.
Be sure to say Bonjour Madame(Monsieur) to anyone who serves you in a supermarket etc and also Au revoir.

There is very little litter anywhere

Outside of Paris, EVERYONE is much friendlier and helpful than we have been led to expect.

Always take a roll of gaffer tape

Now you have made me LAUGH

Your experiences are very similar to ours though now we take our caravan with us
I would add

There are some hypermarche in the North where UK debit cards work 24 hour pumps mostly around Calais

We LOVE the South and Charente Maritime

When buying booze in the supermarche look what the French buy in bulk it's usually cheap but good also if you venture into Spain they do a mean red wine in a carton for 0€38cents a litre

Oh Yes don't forget the gaffer tape it's SO useful
hello my family and i have been home from france 1 whole month now now and were still missing the place,we had such a good holiday in brittany.It was my first time driving and i loved it, so much better than driving over here.Were missing the smell of fresh french bread in the mornings,and the kids are missing the custard flans for ther puddings!! i was in awe at the old buildings,the stonework was highquality stuff!! really friendly people,the beaches and surounding areas were really clean,we had great time and cant wait till we return.
We're just home today from France and I'm not looking forward to my supermarket bread in the morning. Hubby says every year that we'll maybe try somewhere different for a change but we always come back round to France.
hello elaine,thanks for the information on carnac,we found it very use full,the weather wasnt great,but whole lot better than over here!! we had good time none the less.Loads to do the kids loved it.
We were in Northern Brittany at Dol de Bretagne and our weather wasn't up to much either. I'm glad you had a good time and that I was able to help you.
Hi Gray,

You cant remember off-hand which Hypermarkets take British Debit Cards in their 24hr pumps? Anything to avoid a repeat of last time I tried.
Our favourite wine to buy in bulk is Couleurs du Sud Merlot in winebox in most supermarches. I can't tell you how long it keeps - all our friends like it too.
Another thing we enjoy is Vide-Greniers(carboot sales)There is usually a good saucisse,frite et biere stall, manned by locals.
We keep changing our minds about which part of France we like best - we are not too fond of the Jura, but that is only because it rains every time we go there. :roll:
4 more days and we are on our way. To Menton via Valence.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.