Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
cheers glynis, thats wonderful, i have just ordered some, as i really didnt want a hook, i want them in my hand luggage!!
I'm going to get mine from Argos as well. I will not be ripped off by these thieves at the airport if I can possibly do something about it.

Very strong words doepsmc ,would have thought they could be taken as slanderous .

Bluepeterno1
I have just been reading through the thread and I have some questions to ask....... is the airport charging people who are under their weight limit?? If they are then this is a serious problem. Isn't there a display so you can see the weight of your case or a rep about to help you out??? If people are over then they shouldn't be shocked at getting charged I suppose. Im flying with Thomas cook and I can tell you I wont have enough money left to pay their crazy prices at the airport!
greenshoes,

They can't charge you if you are under your weight allowance. That wouldn't be legal! I think there have been some harsh words spoken on this subject. Check-in staff at Dalaman seem to be more strict regarding allowances than staff at other airports, but if you are over your allowance, then you shouldn't be surprised to be charged excess. It's not the staff that are charging you the excess, they are only following their work instruction. I think we are used to getting away with it so it comes as a shock when charged excess. With the increase in fuel prices, expect airlines to instruct check-in staff worldwide to become more strict.

Darren
Im very aware of being over that Im very careful what I buy etc and as long as they dont weigh my hand luggage I will be fine! I was just starting to panic as this topic reads as if people who weren't over were charged!
luci HT Mod
Post subject: Re: Dalaman Airport Baggage excess/high prices/Discussion 2007
New postPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:56 pm
HT Moderator

Karen

HERE'S the post you were looking for in the GHE forum.

HTH

luci :wave
thanks lucy, do you know, i looked everywhere for that post except the right place :rofl
It's not the staff that are charging you the excess, they are only following their work instruction.

Yes but who's orders are they following.

We came back on Monday, and we knew we would be over, 10 kilos to be exact, but they weighed our hand luggage and said we were 15 kilos over and we would have to pay £90, that is £6 per kilo, told them we would not pay that, they ask what we could pay, told them £50, gave them £50 note they gave £2 change, so where did they get this order from, it is a rip-off, and I am going to write to the Turkish Embassy, also a small bottle of water in Icmeler can be got for .50 lira, in fact the hotel was selling 5 Lts for 2.5 lira, at airport they are charging 4.50 lira for a small bottle, again rip-off Dalaman.
Please don't get me wrong, we love Turkey and the people are the friendliest, we have ever met,this was our 6th visit in 3 years, and we spend plenty, but Dalaman airport is really turning us off going back. we need a some sort of protest about this on here to send to the Turkish government, if enough people complain about it they will have to do something.
At the moment we are not going back in September. :(
I look forward to hearing the result of a letter to the Turkish Embassy.
me too. you never know they might take note, i'm sure they do not want to upset their tourist industry
I have just sent an email to the Turkish Tourist Office about Dalaman Airport, it would help if others did the same, the address is info@gototurkey.co.uk
duffaire,

£6 / kg is the norm for excess baggage charges. There is no doubt prices at DLM are way over the top. This has been discussed on HT for many years. But I think the issue of silly high prices at the airport and excess baggage charges are two seperate issues. If your baggage is over your allocated limit, they have the right to charge for excess baggage. The airport / ground handling agent is bound to be on a commission, but it's the airline that receives the money to pay for the extra fuel etc. If people didn't pay the high prices at the airport, that would probably be a better stance to take. When it starts hitting them in the pocket, it'll make them think. At present, people are paying the prices so I suspect these's no pressure to lower them.

Darren
Is your point just about the price duffaire or the fact that people seem to think they are getting charged when they know that their bag in under weight?

Did you put both points in your email or just the fact that the charge is high?

I would be intrested to know what you put.

They may well getthe scales checked or if everyone started taking their own weighing scales they might realise there is a problem

Ola
This topic has been ongoing for ages now and a number of us have already sent emails to the airlines and or airports ,they will politely tell you the rules and that is it ,read the topic from the start . One or two people threatening not to go back to turkey will not make one bit of difference ,as Dazbo5 said everyone has been getting away with it for years and now the airlines are stamping down on it ,if everybody stuck to the rules then there would not be a problem .

Bluepeterno1
In answer to all your queries, last year we were 8 kilos over weight and they charged us £16 and we did not argue, this year 15 kilos and they wanted £90, told them we would not pay this, the woman said how much would we pay, I gave her a £50 note and she gave me £2 change, so where are the rules on this.The answer is we will not buy anything in Turkey, so they will lose about £1500 by us not spending, mutiply that by all visitors and they will be worse off as a country, and that spend does not include food and drink.
The other thing was the price hike on water, small bottle .50 lira in resort 4.5lira at airport, you don't need to be a genious to work out that they are being greedy.
duffaire , you say you were 15kios over ,given that the allowance is now mostly 15kilos ,that means you were twice the allowance ,dont you think that was a bit extreme and dont expect to pay for it,the cost has been £6 per kilo now for a couple of years and it is meant to try and keep the weight down ,i am told that the heavier a plane is on takeoff the more fuel it takes to get it off the ground ,with the ever increasing cost of fuel the airlines have got to recoup money from somewhere ,either that or it will just keep being piled on to the fares . I bring plenty stuff back from turkey sometimes three,four times a year never once have i been charged over weight ,simply because i take less stuff out with me ,which gives me plenty room in my cases on the way back ,if every passenger was twice their allowance over weight then it would be any wonder if the plane would get off the ground atall.

Bluepeterno1
There was 2 of us so total allowance was 30 kilos, only 10 kilos over but they weighed our one bag of hand luggage which was 5 kilos you are allowed 5 kilos of hand luggage I believe.
Hi Duffaire :wave:

I don't really understand what you are saying, were you over or weren't you? If you both had 15Kgs and you weighed 30Kgs, surely that is OK so why did you offer to pay 50 quid ?
Or were you 15kg over ?

I think if you know you are going to be over by a lot, its more sensible and economical to pay for extra before you travel, particularly if you know you are going to do loads of shopping. Surely that works out cheaper in the long run ?

A confused Doe :think
Doe
Sorry for confusion.
allowance is 15 kilos each, our luggage was 5 kilos over for each case, they then weighed our one bag of hand luggage which I believed we were allowed, hope this clears up your confusion.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.