Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Better than the old one. Havent been to Marmaris for 3 years now. Not since the new terminal has opened. What's it like? Same silly prices im guessing. :think
:wave: Hi, yes terminal is much more modern & spacious & yes same ridiculous prices..... my husband paid 25 TL for 3 cans of coke...... about a tenner!!! :really
Thats daylight robbery. They should wear stripey jumpers and balaclavers as peter kay would say.
Flew out from from Dalaman on 16/06/08.

As we were well aware of the rip off prices at the airport we took our own food and drink with us

With regards to luggage we flew with Thomas Cook and had prepaid for the 20kg baggage allowance-my wifes case was half a kilo over going from the UK, mine a kilo under-when they were weighed at Dalaman we were both a kilo under 20kg each and our hand luggage was not weighed.

I thought the issue earlier on in the thread was that the scales at Dalaman appeared to be calibrated to show overweight even if the cases weren't but in our case they were probably about right.

They were being very strict though-a couple in front of us were 2kg over and had to pay-a guy on the plane next to us was 6kg over and he said it cost him £48!
I know that Dalaman airport is very expensive, but at least you can take food and drink through security there.

I came back from Zante in May and you were not allowed to take drinks through security. The prices there extortionate 2 teas and 2 coffes were 25 euro which was about £20.50 :yikes
Lynn
Arrived home on Monday,didnt see anyone being charged for being overweight with cases,and they didnt even weigh anyones hand luggage on our flight with Onur Air,nice to see hardly anyone purchasing food at them prices,a lot of people went up to buy something but soon walked away and went without!.
There must be a scam going on at this airport. My wife, daughter and I had 16.5kg, 13.5kg and 19.5kg (total - 49.5kg) when we checked in at Glasgow airport. All we brought back from Turkey was 2 x 375g bags of sweets and 6 small boxes of turkish delight (1kg max) but were astonished to find that our combined weight had shot up to 59.5kg. We had used all of our suncream and left most of our toiletries.

I had read about the prices for food and drink at the airport and was determined not to pay them. we brought along water and snacks but unfortunately were delayed for 3 hours so ended up getting a sandwich, can of coke and cup of tea and was around £13 for this! I don't know how they can get off with this and surely the tour companies have to get together to drive down these rip off prices.
Gilly1976,

While people are paying the prices, I suspect they'll continue to charge exorbitant amounts for things.

Darren
Yeah you are right. We had hoped not to spend anything but the delay put paid to that. I was speaking to some people about the prices and the attitude was that they were still on holiday so didn't mind spending a bit extra!
Flew home with Thomas cook Monday night(delayed 3 hours)
Id bought a fishing scale on ebay so knew the cases where 15 kilos each(paltry 15 kilo allowance)

They weighed 15.05 at airport so our scales must be ok for £5 delivered.

Couple with us were 3 kilos over and got charged.

We were 18 kilos going out from Glasgow and no problem,straight through
Macdonalds , a lady next to us bough a small ice cream and a small burger

£6.55

And they dont give change either , which is a habit running throuh turkey at the minute
Danny Boy, Where else other than Dalaman have you seen this sort of thing happen, Name and shame them please.
Danny Boy, Where else other than Dalaman have you seen this sort of thing happen, Name and shame them please.

Almost any other non UK holiday airports to be honest, and even some UK ones.
The price of food & drink in departure lounges has always been high.
We tend to buy some sarnies from our hotel to take with us and either eat them in departures or more often than not on the flight home as airplane food is the pits.
I have been all over the world and i have NEVER encountered the outrageously high prices that you at dalaman

Expensive elsehwhere , yes but dalamn is something else

and i think RWB was asking about my no change comment anyway , rwb , Azda in olu deniz and tesko in olu deniz
Apologies Danny Boy, sorry for the misinterpretation.
Last time I was in the Dalaman area, they used to give you sweets as change!
I use azda and migros all the time in hisaronu and the only time you don't get change is when its in kuros which is such a small amount,
Turkey still has a major shortage of coinage this is why they used to give sweets as change
you could always pay by card they all accept most major cards
Before they introduced the ytl there was no small coins used in turkey so you got your change in sweets and things like that to make it up to the nearest pound , i was once in a pharmacy buying nasal spray ,it came to about £1.99p our money ,the giril handed me the spray plus an asprin ,me like a real plonker tried to tell her i had a stuffed up nose but not a headache ,the asprin was to make it up to £2.00. :rofl

Bluepeterno1
total 21.05 lira , surley they should charge 21 not 22.....???
just arrived back via Dalaman airport yesterday. i bought some luggage scales in england before we went following advice from you lot........what great advice it was! my husband said it was a waste of money at the time but has changed his mind.
after packing ready to come home we did the dreaded weighing of the cases!!!!!
left behind any sort of suntan cream, shampoo etc. yahey we were allowed 100kgs and according to our scales had reached the grand total of 97kgs. i must admit we stuffed some things in the hand luggage (like beach towels.)
our cases went on at the airport and we proceeded without a fine YIPPEE. but had i NOT bought the scales i'm sure i would have sneaked some of my 'hairdo' stuff back into a case. so thanks again for the advice it was well worth the tenner spent. by the way they are currently charging £8 per kg over.
happy holidays.......brr it's cold back in England

Sandra x :wave:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.