Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Arrived back 12th August 43kg 3kg over the limit, again our flights were with Onur Air and no excess charge.
are onur air strict on baggage weights? we are travelling with them in sept. im really worried cos i am always over!
what is the baggage allowance on their flights? we havnt recieved are tickets yet so im not sure!
crumpet x
20kg and 5kg hand luggage Our hand luggage was weighed on one occasion in 8 times flying with Onur Air.
Hi
We have just returned from Marmaris flying with Monarch, there was 8 of us and all 8 were couple of kilos over but no charge at Dalaman and our hand luggage wasn't even looked at at check in, never mind wieghed!
yes uk airports are expensive but they wouldn't dare charge the prices at dalaman. As for excess baggage make sure your not overweight, how many of the clothes your wife packs does she actually wear?
the cost of digital scales is much less than the charge for 2 kilo's of excess baggage so in my eyes it is money well spent
this should be on the travellers a list :sun2
no problems at dalaman last night/this morning. We were 8kgs under our 40kgs so we were fine but the check in operator did say straight away you are over 30kg ( we were with Thomas Cook) and I said yes but we have 20kg each and she said 'oh yes of course'. Easy mistake to make but they are eager to over charge. The girl next to me was 1kg over and she was charged!

Dalaman airport :yikes 26lira for a big mac meal!!!!! 9 lira for a can of cola!!!!
Flew back yeaterday morning no problems with excessive weight & took our own food and drink through so didnt spend a penny in Dalaman. :)
We flew back with Monarch last week. We knew that we were under weight on hold luggage, but they didn't even bother weighing our hand luggage.

It was a night flight, so we had dinner as normal in marmaris & then just took a couple of bottles of water with us. We were caught out on our first return from Dalaman....never again. :no
we had dinner too before we went as I had heard on here about the prices. How can they get away with that? It leaves a sour taste in your mouth after spending time in such a lovely country and then they treat you like that in the airport! It was just when I saw the sign, 26 lira for a big mac I could have fainted lol
My handbag was stolen from our apartments in Turkey and luckily a kind family gave us a bag of bread, ham, cheese, crisps and coke to take to the airport with us. It was a life saver, especially as there are no meals on Onur Air. I dont mind paying slightly over the odds (breakfast at Cardiff airport on the way out), but Dalaman is a rip off.
12 lira for a small sandwhich :yikes I could go on. Its exploitation of the tourist. What shocked me was people were actually buying the Mcdonalds food!
I know - I had been warned it was expensive, but I was honestly shocked at just how much off a rip-off all the food outlets at Dalaman were. I was amazed to see one family, who had about five or six kids, all sitting down with a whole load of stuff from McDonalds - they must have needed to take out a mortgage to afford it!
I agree with Maverick57uk. I saw a post on here about those digital scales. I ordered some from http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1164 priced at $10.84 which worked out at £6.07, free delivery. I ordered them last wednesday evening and they came today!!. Just short of a week ~ I'm well impressed and at least now will have some idea as to how much weight I have in my cases rather than trying to guess. I always come very close to allowance if not over!!
Cally. ~x~
What a great gadget, easy to take on hols with you if you go somewhere like the US and bring back loads of stuff. Thanks Callygirl.
Hi Sarong.... I'm going be taking it everywhere with me from now on, its very lightweight and easy to use, even for a blonde like me!! lol!! I am going to weigh my cases and see if the over baggage allowance problem is down to heavy cases or just me over packing. I do suspect it could be my fault really, even on just a long weekend I can easily take 20 kilos plus!
Cally. ~x~
Hi

Just got my tickets yesterday from Thomas Cook and noticed that the ticket had a 20kg baggage allowance, I did not take the extra 5kg and was quite happy with the 15kg. Has anyone else received tickets from Thomas Cook with 20 kg on the tickets but had not added the extra cost for 5kg to their holiday price? Flying from bristol airport to Dalaman on the 15th September.
Hi Samsue123, I am flying with Thomas cook but not until April next year so I havent got my tickets yet. I was toying with the idea of adding extra luggage as I am always over or close to my limit. However, if you have ended up with a freebie 5kg extra, I may just leave it and see if I get it too. ;) Incidentally, is your whole holiday booked through Thomas Cook or just your flights?.
Cally. ~x~
If your ticket says 20kg you get 20kg. Im just back from a Thomas cook flight, didn't pay the extra for the 5 kg and my tickets stated 20 kg. I also didn't pay for a meal and also recieved one. (Thomas cook always give me a meal when I haven't paid for one lol). Also my sister just recieved her tickets from Thomas Cook and her say 20kg and she didn't pay for more baggage either. Enjoy your 20kg!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.