Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
ndshelton,

We're getting a little :offtop now really (more details on the dedicated airline threads), but First Choice / Thomson (Thomson Airways) up until recently didn't allow the pooling of luggage but have now reversed this and allow pooling providing all pasengers are on the same booking. They won't allow you to check-in any luggage greater than 23kg. The 32kg limit was revised due to health and safety guildelines for baggage handlers (as above). More details are on their respective websites (both the same airline though; First Choice / Thomson.

Darren
Hi

Just a note to let everyone now how we got on at the airport regarding excess luggage, which, if you have read my previous posts, I was concerned about.

We got two holdalls on wheels from Argos and a small weighing machine from QVC and packed for our holiday. We went for 8 nights and packed all the normal things, except we took travel size toilettries. Each holdall weighed approx 9kg, which was fantastic. At the airport going they weighed exactly the same so out little scales worked perfectly.

One our return we packed everything, including t shirts and some other small nik-naks. We weighed the cases again and one was 9kg and the other was 9.5kg, which was way under our allowance of 15kg each.

When we got in the queue at check in, it was going very slow and we found out that everyone was paying excess luggage, but when we got to our turn the holdalls weighed exactly what we thought, so everything was fine.

We certainly recommend the holdalls we got, and the weighing scales or something similar, we will use them again wherever we go. The only thing I would say is that, if you go on a cruise, or somewhere you need formal wear, and you take evening dresses and suits a rigid case would be better so they don't move about, but for everyday wear and other holiday things they are perfect.

By the way, we enjoyed Turkey and will be going back.

Sue
Next time pack your clothes in carrier bags and tie them up, That way they are all fine when yo arrive in the resort, Thats something I always do now.
We returned from Dalaman last week with a holdall weighing 15Kg and an empty holdall weighing 4Kg. It was nice to go through not having to worry about being overweight .... however, on entry to the airport at the security scan the empty bag was pulled from the scanner and thoroughly checked for 15 minutes! Just can't win!

By the way, we also had drinks in our hand baggage which we had forgotten about and these were not spotted - we only realised ourselves when we got onboard the aircraft. I don't recall any signs about liquids either. I'm sure I read on here that Turkish airports were now subject to the same restrictions with liquids as the UK.
Superfrac, hope you dont mind me asking, but what Argos holdalls did you use. This seems like a good idea as my cases are large and heavy.
Thanks for any info.
hey i got holdalls from tesco, just value ones about £7 and only weigh 1kg each!theyr fab!
Hi Keith99

The holdalls we got from Argos are Item No: 285/0928 - Argos Value Range Large Wheeled Holdall - Grey priced at £8.79. We would certainly recommend these holdalls or something similar. The reviews on the Argos website are mixed, some saying they split and were off poor quality, but for the price you pay, we thought ours were ok. How long they will last is another thing, but so far they have lasted one holiday with no damage.

Sue
Hi Keith99

The holdalls we got from Argos are Item No: 285/0928 - Argos Value Range Large Wheeled Holdall - Grey priced at £8.79. We would certainly recommend these holdalls or something similar. The reviews on the Argos website are mixed, some saying they split and were off poor quality, but for the price you pay, we thought ours were ok. How long they will last is another thing, but so far they have lasted one holiday with no damage.

Sue

Thanks for that Sue. Cant be that bad, showing out of stock right now.
so i bought some travel scales, you know the one with the hook!

quick question, should I pop this in my case, once weight is fine etc at check in, as I dont think I can take that on the plane?
greenshoes,

If you aren't going to be using them after weighing your case, you might as well pack them. Saves carrying them around with you.

Darren
I think you will have to pack the scales afterwards as i dont think you will be able to take them on as hand luggage,as the hook can be classed as a weapon :sun2
cockney girl wrote:
the hook can be classed as a weapon

It depends on the nature of the scales, but that's unlikely. Some are like the hook of a coat hanger, others are a strap. As long as the 'hook' isn't sharp, there shouldn't be a problem.

Darren
I kept my luggage scales in my hand luggage,they have a hook.
i kept my scales in hand luggage too and they have a hook and i had no problems
Whilst a really useful topic, please dont bump the posts rwb.

Ta

Kath x
I've been on the Dalaman airport website and you can prebook the exec lounge for 20 euros online if you wish.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.