Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
My problem is that I am on a gulet trip and on the last morning they are running out of food anyway so I can only really take some stuff from breakfast wrapped up. I don't have meals included in my flight either but saying that, this was the case last year as well and I managed until I got home before eating. So long as I can take water in I can get away with buying some crisps and choc from duty free!
Got back yesterday,we flew with Onur air,nobody was charged for excess baggage,and they didnt weigh anyones hand luggage,still allowed to take drinks through security,they havnt implemented the liquid restrictions yet.There is a cafe in the departures hall where the checking in desks are,very resonably priced,a lot cheaper than than departure lounge.
Returned yesterday through Antallya .The hand luggage was not weighed ,but there was quite a few charged excess on their main luggage .Some people just wont learn you should have seen the size of some of the cases.Liquids were allowed passed the first scanner but not the second at the boarding gates where they were confiscated .
Good to know, thanks folks.

I've checked out Monarch's inflight service and I can get a reasonably priced sarnie and drink on the plane so fingers crossed they remain slack on the liquids front so I can have a bottle of water with me and I will be fine.

I'm a demon packer and have always been okay for weight. I find it quite amusing watching the indignation of people being caught overweight (Thomas Cook flights are very strict for this) and swearing they are not despite what the scales say.
`I have seen this happen many a time. We have now bought our own 'luggage weigher' and wouldnt hesitate in calling a manager for luggage to be checked. I have heard stories, not paticularly from Turkey, but they have the scales set so that stuff weighs heavier to try and glean extra money from us tourists... not fair!
Mmmm... not sure if you will manage to get a bottle of water through, we couldnt in Egypt at xmas!
I was under the impression that Turkey were now operating a liquids ban but we have travelled via Dalaman twice in the last couple of months and both times took liquids through when leaving. My daughter had her bag searched at the gate, where they took out all the contents including a bottle of water, liquid lip gloss, bubble liquid and then smiled and put it all back for her. Maybe they're just not as strict as other countries.
Elledee, I wondered myself about the accuracy of scales in Dalaman as so many people were getting stung, however the lady before me was 4 kilos over and had to pay. Mine then went on and was weighed at 11kilos. So if they had been wrong then the true weight of my case would therefore have been only 7kg and there was no way it was that light. Unfortunately, people simply pack too much.

As for taking water through - although the ruling came in this year on liquids in Turkish airports it appears that so far they have not been bothering with them except for a couple of times I've heard that you can't take them through the gate security check (which is no big deal as you can't go to the gate until the flight is just about ready to leave).
It's been reported on here many times about the scales at Dalaman being wrong in order to charge for excess bagage. The last time I went though, I did a little experiment. I weighted my cases before entering the airport. Once at check-in, they were weighted and were exactly what we expected them to be. I can't vouch for every set of scales at the airport, but in my experience (been thorough on a number of ocasions), they are accurate.

SandC wrote:
Unfortunately, people simply pack too much.

Nail and head spring to mind! Passengers have been getting away with an odd kg here and there over the years and airlines have simply tightened up on things.

Darren
. Just came through Antalya on monday when packing my cases at the hotel i packed them to exactly 20kgs and checked them on leaving the hotel then checked them in the airport .For two reasons ,one to check the accuracy of my scales and that of the airport, both cases were exact. Another couple from Falkirk asked me for a loan of my scales while waiting for the bus at the hotel and when they got to the airport theres was spot on also .There is no one who will ever convince me that the airports are ripping people of intentionally by fixing the scales .Could you just imagine what kind of criminal charges they would be open to if this was discovered. :yikes
when I was flying home last week there was a huge drama at the airport. The check in lad asked the family to put their second case on the scales while their first case was not fully off the scales. Then the check in lad said they were over and tried to charge them. The check in que was held up for half an hour because of this and also because the scales, when nothing was on them showed 1 kilo. When we checked in I said to him your scales are wrong, and they ignored me. I didn't expect an answer but I was just letting them know that I was aware their scales were wrong and I wouldn't be charged! We were all under anyway by atleast 3 kilos each.
greenshoes, Can you remember which checkin number it was?
Perhaps this might help others.
Hi all, just back yesterday from Dalaman flight.

No problems with luggage but I was only carrying 13.3kg according to their scales plus it was Monarch rather than TCook. However, a friend on a Gatwick flight with Monarch reported a bit of argy bargy with the woman in front of her who swore she couldn't be overweight. As usual, she eventually had to pay up.

Prices in the food hall seem to have dropped a little. I just had a quick look at the McDonald's to check it out and a big mac meal or equivalent is 22 lira. Still extortionate but less so. In noted that one of the other ones had beer for 10 lira. Plenty of people eating. CIP lounge 42 lira.

Absolutely no problems with taking liquids through though signs indicate 1st August they will be clamping down. I had a full litre of water and some aftersun in my bag and neither the security/baggage checks at the front doors or the gate proved to be a problem.
Back from Dalaman airport yesterday no problems whatsoever.
Beautiful modern airport, spotlessly clean and the prices didn't seem as high as they were in Bodrum airport last year. I expect to pay more in an airport anywhere & it wasn't extortionate.
Hope this reassures any one travelling there :)
Also just back from Dalaman airport, flying with freebird, the guy in front showed on his ticket a 15kilo allowance & was about 7 kilos over Don't know if he was just lucky but he had no problem and didn't have to pay any extra.That may not happen with other airlines.
As SandC said, no problem taking liquids through at the moment
Just returned home with no problems at dalaman.we werent charged and i know we were a couple of kilos over but were willing to pay if charged.We checked our bags in the empty checking in desk next to our desk and it was the same as our hand held scales read.There were plenty of people panicking though and emptying cases.No liquid restriction yet either.No delay there or back,all in all a very pleasant flight etc :sun2
On departure from Belfast Airport on 23/07/2009 a lady infront of me was charged £40 excess baggage, Airline was British midland.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.