Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Isn't the plane the best place to grab a bargain? no tax at all on a plane
Can someone give me some information around the rules of duty free.I understand that i can only bring back 250g of tobacco, however can i buy tobacco in Turkey or out of Gatwick(EU) and top that limit up. As i would have paid tax on tobacco in Turkey, or as i suspect i am only allowed to bring 250g full stop. I did try looking on the forum to see if its posted anywhere else.

posts merged with exisiting topic. cazzholly posted the limits above, Dazbo HT Mod
There is a thread already running on this topic ,try search :tup
If you believe that the plane has the best price, Buy your duty free onboard then look in duty free on entry into Turkey, Or just note the prices on the plane and at Duty free then on your departure from Turkey choose whoever is the cheapest. :wave:
when we had gone through to the gate at dalaman, before boarding...there is a little cafe type place....they were doing coffee and cake for 8 lira..
It's up to us as tourists to get our facts straight about things like duty free before we go on holiday, however the staff at Dalaman have always told untruths about how many you can take - thing is that people believe them because they forget that they are working in a shop and want the sales and they are not actually airport officials in any way.

When I smoked I used to run the risk of having a couple of cartons confiscated at Manchester but was always lucky never to be stopped. I would never have carried 10 cartons x 200 in duty free bags as carry on though.
Hiya i have spoken to a few of my friends recently that have returned via Dalaman and they said they where stung for excess baggage payments when they did not buy hardly anything and there baggage was lighter coming back than it was going out of gatwick. Has anyone got any info on this if there is a scam going on
Loads of people are stung for excess at Dalaman damienhoops but I don't think there is any kind of scam going on. People are just underestimating what they have in their bags - or they've been lucky on the way out. Last year the lady in front of me swore blind she couldn't be overweight, yet she was by 4kg. But if they scales had been out by those 4kg that would then have made my weight only 7kg - as they came in at 11kg - a couple less than I was outgoing.

Bear in mind towels used on holiday are significantly heavier as are worn clothes.
damienhoops,

There's no conspiricy to charge excess baggage! The airport handling agents are just carrying out airline instructions and being strict on enforcing luggage allowances. You'll find lots of information on this over the previous pages. If you're within your allocated allowance, you've nothing to worry about. If you exceed it, expect to be charged £8-10 per kg. This isn't anything new, but Dalaman are stricter than most airports. You'll find the same when flying out of the UK. For example if you are flying with Thomas Cook, you'll be charge £10 per kg when flying from the UK for excess charges. Many take a set of luggage scales with them to ensure they aren't over on their return flight. More details here.

Darren
SandC wrote:
Loads of people are stung for excess at Dalaman damienhoops but I don't think there is any kind of ???? going on. People are just underestimating what they have in their bags - or they've been lucky on the way out. Last year the lady in front of me swore blind she couldn't be overweight, yet she was by 4kg. But if they scales had been out by those 4kg that would then have made my weight only 7kg - as they came in at 11kg - a couple less than I was outgoing.

Bear in mind towels used on holiday are significantly heavier as are worn clothes.

I think that is a very important point that a lot of people forget. Particularly with beach towels that have been covered in goodness knows what for two weeks, and I normally have 4 of them. When ive been lucky enough to stay in a private villa and when I was as the (now infamous :cry:) ocean club & similar accommodations which have easy access to a washing machine, I always run them through on a really hot wash just prior to travelling home.

Doe :wave
I got back yesterday morning luckily we had eaten early evening before being picked up but as we were at airport quite early I wanted a drink went and got 2 very small cardboard cups of coffee and when she said 8.50 I thought she meant lira but she meant pounds I was astounded having been to Dalaman about 15 times this was the biggest rip off to date. My daughter, hubby and their 4 little boys are in Marmaris I have texted and told them to ensure they get something before going to airport next monday, the departure lounge was pretty full but no queues at any of the food outlets surely they would do better if prices more reasonable
Dancing Lucy,

the departure lounge was pretty full but no queues at any of the food outlets surely they would do better if prices more reasonable

I've been arguing that point for quite a while. While I appreciate it's easier said than done when travelling with children, I refuse to pay silly prices and won't be when I pass through in September. If people stopped paying the silly prices, they might rethink.

Darren
Lucy have they started enforcing the liquids ruling?
Liquid restrictions come into force on 1st October now.
Does anyone know if there are any cash machines in the arrivals at Dalaman airport and if so are they free to use? I don't want to take any currency if possible (poor rates!) but don't want to be stuck in the hotel with no cash, we're staying at Club Letoonia and I think the nearest bank is too far to walk

Post merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
there are cash machines when you walk outside the arrivals terminal. the charges to use them will depend on your bank, not the ATM.
Well worth bringing to the attention of new travellers to Dalaman
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.