Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi all, Has anybody come back from Dalaman airport recently? Can you tell me what the position is with regard to taking water through into the terminal building? A colleague at school is going next week, her first time to turkey. I think it was my going on constantly about what a fantastic place it is. this would have been our 8th year this year but we have just had to cancel our trip to Turunc as my husband has developed a heart condition and been told not to fly. It is not serious, waiting for a simple operation but has taken the shine of summer. I am now trying to plan a last minute break in France as we can go by ferry. We have never done a holiday to France and it just doesn't have the same feel about it but we should be lucky that we can go somewhere.

Anyway on the original topic if anyone knows about the drinks situation please let me know. ESM :sun2
When you enter the terminal building you go through a security,liquids are ok here,after checkin you then go through another security,this is where you cant take liquids through !!,they have taken away the securities at the gates now. :wave:
Thanks for the reply. I will pass that on to her. ESM
For private transfers in Dalaman Airport they changed waiting area.Now it says invidual meeters nearby parking lot.
Can anyone tell me i we can buy them at Daleman aiirport on the way in?
We dont arrive untill midnight,will they still be open,and are the prices good?. Many thanks in advance.

Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
They will still be open, but I find it cheaper to buy at my home airport or on the plane.
Can i just say that when we flew home from Dalaman on Wednesday they were taking liquids of you as soon as you entered the building(1st lot of xray machines).
If this is the case, what do you recommend regarding taking a packed lunch to avoid the extortionate prices? I have 2 small boys and we fly just after lunch, I envisage a very early pick-up from our apartments in Marmaris so I know they will be needing fed during our time at the airport. In fact they eat constantly, might need to look into getting them a drip :rofl
BON VOYAGE,

You can still take a pack lunch with you, it's only liquids etc that are restricted items. The regulations are listed on page 1 of the HAND LUGGAGE REGULATIONS & INCREASED SECURITY .. Q&As topic.

Darren
Im not that long back. I too had thought about taking a packed lunch from the hotel but my flight wasnt until 2pm. Long time for a bacon sarnie to be lying in a bag especially when its 45c. Unless you have a cool back to throw it into of course :tup
They've got you by the 'short and curly's' at Dalaman airport really haven't they? :que
Especially if your flight doesn't provide food either. I suppose it's pay up, or go hungry.
I'll probably go hungry, just on principal. :rofl
Hadn't thought of that, might need to rethink that one :duh
As others have said, you can allways take sandwichs,crisps etc. with you which can be bought in the resort before departure, also fresh fruit is a good substitute for drinks and might stop the long line of people standing in the isle of the plane waiting for the toilets, i think it was only me and the pilot who stayed in our seats this year :rofl :rofl :rofl

Alan
I bought my luggage scales in Asda a couple of weeks ago. We've tested them, and they're pretty accurate.
Our departure from Dalaman is 07.15,so we have a meal the night before in a lovely restaurant,and then I make some sandwiches for on the plane,a crusty fresh loaf is only .70 lira,some cheese etc,Oh are we ready for it when we have settled into our seats for take off.There are a lot of places in resort that will make sandwiches up for you also. :)
Hi
We bought the scales from Asda too and they were a godsend, especially when we were coming back and were worried about the extra weight of gifts. We had heard that they are very strict regarding the weight at the Turkey airports.

Dawnie-Rob
It's keeping sandwiches fresh though isn't it Crispy?
I can't imagine a cheese sandwich is going to taste
too good when it's been hanging around in Turkish heat
for a couple of hours.
Especially if your flight is delayed for another couple of hours. :que
I have just returned from two weeks holiday in Oludeniz and am totally disgusted by the corruption and scaming which is going on at Dalaman airport.

On our way to the airport we were warned that excess baggage is charged at £12 per kg (Our tickets stated £10 per Kg). Not that we were worried about this becuase all of our bags were under 20Kg on the outbound flight and we had discarded most of our toiletries, suncreams etc. In addition to this I was also carrying dive gear which I had paid extra for and have a reciept saying that this weighed 19Kg at Newcastle on the outbound flight, now I accidently lost 2 dive weights weighing 1kg each but some how my bag was weighing in at Dalaman at 22kg.

Our cases were incorrectly weighed 3kg over weight, also when the surly check in clerk demanded £36 in cash (they don't take credit cards and won't give a reciept). I demanded the cases back to take out towells etc to leave behind and was told this was not possible as I would have been holding up the queue. When I pointed out that there was nobody behind me he reluctantly allowed me to unpack 3kg of goods to avoid the charges, which I placed straight into my hand luggage and carried onto the plane without him knowing. I also obeserved the clerk charge a family in front of us about £80 for being over and the money went straight into his pocket.

On going through securiy the staff were more concerned about confiscating our bottled water to ensure that we spent £4 per bottle in the departure lounge, that they failed to even look at our passports or boarding cards and we walked through with our water confiscated but otherwise unchecked. You have to pay £1 to hire a trolley which again is a rip off and heaven help anybody who is delayed at Dalaman airport because the prices for food an drink are through the roof.

Also the staff in the duty free will simply round everything up to the next £1/1TL. For instance I purchased goods to the value of £12.04 and the clerk wanted £13 again I told her to take a hike. Ok it's only 95p but when you do that to several thousand customers per year it sharp mounts up.

All in all because of this experience I will not travel to Turkey again. The Turkish people are on the whole friendly but are very eager to make money from you, this is to the extent where you can not relax on holiday.

Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.