Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
airport
856 Posts
landlady23,

Dalaman aiport (new terminal) is a reasonable size airport and opened in 2007. There's plenty of information on their website. Being a new terminal, there are disabled (accessible) facilities on hand. It's not a long walk through the airport though. If you require specific assistance, it might be worth contacting your tour operator / airline as they may be able to assist and book things locally for you.

Darren
Thanks, Scots, I have a no-fee cash card so I presume that means there will be no charge at all (unlike some UK airports I could name) When you say outside the terminal, do you mean on the outside wall or somewhere further away?
in that case there won't be any charge. haven't come across any ATMs in Turkey that actually levy any charges themselves - only charges that apply would be from your UK bank - in your case not applicable.

once you collect you suitcase and walk out of the terminal if memory serves me correctly there is at least one on the opposite side of the road. it's built into a little wall i think. you won't miss it. if you can't find it - just ask :)
Returned from Dalaman yesterday. Can confirm they are not imposing any liquid restrictions, I brought my bottle of water through in my bag with no problems.

Noticed that wheelchair users get really top notch assistance. There were 4 on our flight and each had their own member of airport staff helping them.
That's interesting SandC, when we came back in May they would not let us through to departures with our water.
i went to turkey 16 may and returned 30 may, both at dalaman and izmir airport they confiscated our water and wouldnt let us have it, so strange how some people have got through with it? bloody 5 lira a bottle in departures as well, daylight robbery! hubbys tried asking at security point at xray machine about liquid restrictions and the girl just proceeded to try chat him up asking why he was with a foreigner (me lol!) instead of one of his own :yikes shows how interested and helpful they are huh-not!!!
I want to go back to the luggage thread. At Dalaman, 2 years ago, and Hurghada in Egypt this year, we had exactly the same experience from the Thomas Cook baggage check in counters. They claimed we were overweight with our luggage but we were definately underweight having checked carefully before we left for the airport. The baggage handler at Hurghada was leaning on the suitcases to make the weight go over the allowance. Both places demanded cash that also went into back pockets. Interestingly enough, exactly the same suitcases at the follow through European airport the same day weighed in at under the 20 kilos. This would suggest a scam either from rigged scales or leaning on cases at certain airports. I don't know how much control the tour companies have over baggage check in at foreign airports. Does anyone know if they are responsible for the staff at their check in counters at Dalaman and Hurghada?
traveller53,

If you think that is the case, I would send a letter to your tour operator / airline with a complaint. Personally, I've never experienced any issues when traveling through Turkish or other airports, but if you think you had that happen to you, airlines can't do anything unless they are aware of it. Airlines use handling agents at the airport so they are contracted by the airline.

Darren
As I haven't been to Turkey for a couple of years, I don't know what the situation is now. As regards Hurghada, my complaints were dismissed. It's impossible for me to prove - I only have the eye witnesses in the queue behind me. There was quite a fuss at the time as a group of people in front had all been charged and were creating rather a noise about it. They actually got the charges recinded. At Munich and the BA check in later that day for our onward flight, our cases were under the 20 kilos yet hadn't been opened or in any way changed. If the staff are not directly employed by TC then there would appear to be little I can do further to my original complaint.
we came back from dalaman 5 weeks ago and restrictions were in force then we were told quiet rudely to throw our rubbish(water) in the bin, if your water was in your bag maybe you were just lucky and they did not notice on the xray
Yes, that's probably the case, was quite prepared to throw it away but thought I'd see if they were imposing restrictions as I didn't see any signs or anything.
We came home 2 weeks ago,they have bins by security to throw your liquids in,my daughter walked through with her 2 year olds cup with juice in,they asked her what was in it and allowed her to take it through,just took her word for it.
They were being very strict and taking absolutely any liquids off people when we came home the first week in June. Some people were complaining, despite the notices while you were queueing to go through the security check.
got through security at Dalaman yesterday with a bottle of water in my hand bag and my lipgloss in my pocket, which sent the alarms off :duh , and when i showed it to them they just waved me on. I noticed a few people with water who had got it through :que
Hi all
Going to Icmeler on the 26th July, so flying to Dalaman Airport, what's it like.

Thanks
Dawnie-Rob :wave
Quite a big building with duty free ,luggage reclaim,passport control & believe it or not...there are quite a few aeroplanes on the runway :rofl ....What exactly do you want to know ???
Hi we are just back ....Dalaman is a military airport .....when you arrive you will have to que for your visa stamp first ....once you get that you then que to go through passport control then onto baggage collection pretty simple really .....on going back buses drop you off right outside the doors of the airport ....there is a security check as soon as you go in cases,hand luggage & yourself ( liquids are allowed through this check)....then look for your check in desk on screens ....after this another security check where they take liquids off you once through this you are in the departure area with food courts on the first floor all the gates are behind the duty free shops ....you really can't go wrong ....some of the Airport staff are a bit abrupt but then again they are at work and who likes work ...not me anyway :duh back tomorrow :cry
Hi Dawnie-Rob

The duty free in Dalaman is really expensive so buy your supplies either in the UK duty free or on the plane (don't smoke so can't say if it's the same for tobacco/cigs).

On your return make sure you eat before you arrive at Dalaman as food and drink there is VERY expensive.

Patsiej
Hi there
Thank you for the two mature and helpful responses to my post. I haven't been to that airport before and did wonder if its pretty efficient, prices, facilities etc.

I do have a sense of humour, but I suppose you will always get someone who thinks sarcasm is funny.

Dawnie-Rob
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.