Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
yeh its the day trip by air we are looking at. after reading this i think we will book it in advance. what airline do you fly with? and are the flights from paphos or larnaca?
Hi steve

We flew with egypt air and the flight was from paphos, they dont do this trip from larnaca which was a pain because we were staying in protaras so we had to travel to paphos.

Hope you enjoy it and let us know what you think

bev
The offer we seen was for the flight but like I said, maybe it was so cheap because it was May.

After hearing your problems, maybe it is best to book in advance during June, July and August.
Hi again....
We've been told to be very careful when we visit Egypt.
We're going in a two day cruise from limassol in July

What should we look out for? Is it dangerous? etc.

Thanks
Andy & Julie
Hi all

We're a UK couple taking a holiday in Cyprus in July.
We want to take a two-day cruise from Cyprus to Egypt and wonder if there are any safety issues we should know about.

I've heard that some of the locals can get quite aggressive, is this correct?
Some say that if you get on one of the Camels that you may have to pay even more money to be let off.

Apart from the safety issue, what can we expect from our mini cruise. It sounds exciting. We have always had a fascination with Egypt and its Pyramids, etc.
Will we be allowed in to the Pyramids?
Any info much appreciated.

Thanks
A&J
hi i went for the two day cruise to egypt when you are in egypt you are in a convoy of coaches and you have priority you also have armed guard in front of the coaches and behind obviously you got the beggers around but it is quite safe dont worry you'll be fine have a great time it is a real experience :-)
Hi Ajay,

Maybe sometimes some of the Egyptians could appear "aggressive".

I would suggest that you follow the advice of whichever guide you are with. They will point you towards the best option.

Entrance to the pyramids is now limited, with one open one day and then another etc. This is done to try and minimise the harm done by lots of tourists tramping around inside.

You must visit Egypt, it's truly magical!

Regards,

Roger.
Thanks Kev

That really eases our minds - thanks a lot!

Andy
Thanks Roger

Now i'm really looking forward to it :-)

Cheers
Andy
My family and i went on the mini cruise last year and enjoyed every minute, although it is very tiring as there is a lot of travelling to do. Be prepared for an early start! We sailed on the Salamis Glory and facilities on board were excellent. You dont get very long to take pictures, so make the most of your time spent there. Security was very tight when we were there, and they do advise you very well about what to be wary of, etc. Make sure you go in a pyramid - after all, you have travelled all that way and cant miss an oportunity like that! Going back to Protaras next year for 3rd time, cant wait! Have fun! :D
Hi Andy

We also went the cruise from Cyprus we had already been to Cairo and Luxor before and wanted to see the pyramids again, it was a fantastic ship , brilliant food absolutly loved it and would recommend it .I would say though the guide on our bus tried to put people off going into the pyramids when we arrived by telling them it was caustrophobic and busy which ok it was busy and you do have to walk qiute low inside but when we went we thought it was amazing to be inside a pyramid . We told the other guests to not be put off by the guide and they went and thanked us for not listening to her they also thought it was brill, i think she took the hump because they have to go with you i was told later so i would say go inside if you get the chance.

Ps I will say she was a great guide though i think they may get fed up having to trapse a group of folk into the pyramids every day but i did feel it was a big part of visiting them .

Debs
Hi Ajay, We also did the trip from Cyprus to Egypt (Port Said). You can book these trips yourself or from your tour rep. They usually go from Limasol and are often 'Louis Cruises' on the 'Marissa' It's a great trip with a lovely meal in the evening. The coach transfer to Cairo is about 2-1/2 hours each way and is really a whistle stop tour. The Pyramids, The Sphinx, The Cairo Museum, A Papyrus Shop, & A Perfume shop, the latter two being a bit of a waste of time in my opinion. Remember that there is also the Boat Museum around the other side of the 'Great' pyramid and it is well worth a visit. Most tours do not give you a lot of time at each place so if you take my tip, at the Cairo museum, leave your guide and leg it up the stairs and turn left at the top and head for the Tutahnkamun treasure display & the Mummy room first, as you won't have much time left to see these if you stick with the tour. As long as you keep an eye out for your group you will be OK.
You will love it, have a good trip
Tez
Hi Tez,

I'm so glad to hear someone else mention the Solar Boat museum next to the pyramids! What a haven that is when its steaming hot, to walk around in air conditioned luxury and see that wonderful vessel in all its glory.

Very few people seem to visit it as it is not on most guides itinerary. I think i'll put a few pics of it in the gallery so people realise what they're missing!
We did the cruise a few years ago with Louis cruises. It is very nice on board but also very commercial. The staff tend to serve you with one hand out!!! It is very much a whistle stop tour around Cairo, especially the pyramids and sphinx (Approx 30 mins at each). Cairo museum earlier, as said before go round yourselves instead of with the guide, you'll see more. You also get to see the jewellry exhibition of the late royal family and visit one of the palaces. You get more time in the Gold shop and Papyrus factory :!: . If you go on the same cruise you'll get a morning sightseeing around Alexandria as well.

All in all you should love it :D

regards

Stew
Hi Carrot, Your dead right regarding the air conditioning, but more importantly, it is the nearest toilet that I know of! :D
I am going to Cyprus in 3 weeks time and would like to take my other half on a cruise to Egypt. Has anyone done this? if so, approximately how much did it cost? Was it safe? Was it worth it? Also, do you need any additional documentation...visa's etc. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Lindsey
HI, my family (4 altogethor) went to Egypt from Protaras last year, and enjoyed nevery minute of it. It cost us around £240 for all of us. I will warn you, howerver, that if you have to travel from Protaras, you have to do a lot of travelling. Its worth it though, as the Pyramids and Sphinx are magnificent sights. They took my breath away. You dont need visas just your passport. Be careful while at the Pyramids not to be ripped off. Owners will quite happily let you get on their camel, but may ask for around £50 just to get down! They do warn you on th coach about what to be aware of. Its an experience you CANT miss! Dont go back toProtaras while next July so im very envious! Enjoy! :sun
I second that, Protaris is very nice. I have done the Egypt trip myself and all the previous advice is dead on. Usually they are from Larnaca and as the previous post indicated, it is a little bit further to travel. Make sure that you book as soon as possible after you arrive, as the departure dates often include a weekend. Therefore if you do your booking the first week it may be the middle weekend before you can travel. No visas required it is all done on the boat. 'Loise' tours do this trip on the 'Marrissa'. Tell your travel rep that you are prepared to pay up to 'X' and to see what the best deal he/she can come up with. They usually swing you an upgrade if your lucky. It will be very hectic but un-missable. Don't fall for all the added tat that the tour operators will add for 'your pleasure'. The perfume factory: A rip off with a crap product 'sealed by us so that it does not leak in your case' READ: 'A bottle of crap that we hope you do not smell until after to arrive home!'. The Papyrus factory is also a pressure selling point, just walk out if not interested, don't be pressured. Of course you will want to buy a gold 'Cartouche' with your name on it, excellent value, according to my wife :shrug But seriously you will enjoy it, but be aware of the points people have outlined regarding rip-offs.
Have a great time, I can't wait for September.....Luxor here I come....again. :rofl
Tez
I would recommend doing the cairo trip, if we hadnt i wouldnt have gone to Eygpt this year.

What i would recommend though is go via a plane and not the cruise. The cruise takes up 3 days of your holiday, when we went i didnt like being crammed in like sardines and everything court marshalled like in the Army, a lot of orders and rules. It is an extremely long day and hours and not enough time at the sites you saved up hard to see. They obviously take you where the money is to be spent to get commision!

If you go by plane, you will have loads of time and you even get to go on the Nile, which on the ship you don't. You will also miss all the hasstle as you get off the ship in Port said.

As i said i enjoyed the trip but never on a cruise again, i found it very boring and regimented, and the food was very raw.

The Sphinx was superb and the Museum was very interesting, but it isnt air conditioned in there, so please bring a fan with you. They charge you extra to take photos in the museum as well.

Have a lovely time, oh and just a thought, have you ever thought about going to Cairo on a one or two centre? You will proberly find out it is cheaper than the 3 day break :wink:

Whatever you decide, please have a great time :D

Michelle x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.