Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
im thinking of booking the egypt day trip (by air) from paphos, and was wondering if someone who's been on it could help me with some queries i have.

how long do you actually get in the cairo museum? cos i want to have a look at everything esepcially the tutankhamuns mask, but dont want to be rushed around too much (although obviously i know it will be reasonably rushed.

and if someone could tell me roughly how long you spend at each place (like the pyramids, lunch etc)

thanks
Hi, Have a look further down the topics list to 'Cruise to Egypt' heading. You may find some of the advice you are looking for.
Tez :)
no i cant find it. its the day trip by air im looking at, not the cruise
I did the cruise couple of years back and it is great.
However, when you do get to Egypt you spend a long time on coaches. It's about four hours each way down to Cairo and that's a lot of your day taken up, even allowing for the early start.
The only plus about all that time on coaches is that you do drive alongside the Suez Canal for a while and it's quite bizarre seeing ships in the middle of what is the Sinai desert.
Also, as someone else said, it takes three days of your holiday to actually spend about five hours in Cairo, including about an hour at the museum.
An hour! You could spend a week there and still see only a fraction.

You're better off doing the day trip by air as you spend a lot longer in Cairo looking at the sites, etc as well as getting a trip around the Souk (market) which is an experience in itself if you've never been around a Souk.

You'll enjoy it however you go though.

Dave
I want to go ona cruise around the island for a special day out for my boyfriends birthday would u recommend relax-cruises or interyachting?
im going on the day trip by air to egypt in august, do we need any jabs if its just for the day?
No steve no jabs needed :lol:
One tip we were given was to becareful about handling money - basically it carries lots of bugs and we took plenty of antibacterial handwipes to keep our hands clean before we had sandwiches etc. It may sound daft but better safe ...

Also we did the trip by coach but even though we took 2 x 2 litres of water plus what was on the coach and as part fo the trip we still got dehydrated and I had a blinding headache. Take LOADS of water!!!!!! Don't be fooled - we've read that sometimes its so hot that sweat just evaporates and so you don't realise just how hot it is .....................

We envy you - it'll be magic!

:wink:
Another good tip Steve, next time you are in a certain hamburger chain, borrow a few straws. :twisted: You know the type, in a little paper packet.
Great for putting in a pocket or bag and even better when you don't want to put your mouth on a drinks can :yuck especially if you don't know where its been. You will love the experience. I agree no jabs required.
Tez
Hi Emma,

Both companies are good. However, I find Relax Cruises are a bit more friendly and will go out of their way when it is a special occasion ( probably as it is a family run business). If you need a birthday cake, for example, they will help you with that, or put some balloons up on the boat - little touches like that can make the day. If you contact them, you will probably speak to Sue, who is English, and will help you with whatever you need to make the day special.

Good luck, whoever you choose.
Evelyn.
Hi Presto2
I always wipe my hands with anti bac wipes or hand gel after I touch money/use pen in bank and before I eat with my hands.
It's amazing how many germs are on money, pens, lift buttons etc....
I am hardly ever ill now :wink:
Read an article years ago to use wipes/gel and it doe's make sense.

No I am not related to Howard Hughs :lol:

Karen
Hi we are off to Protaras on the 27th of July really looking forward to it. We have booked the mini cruise to Egypt through Thomas Cook, does anyone know which Criuse Company they use and the name of the ships, ive mislaid the brochure I originally booked it from. This is our first visit to Cyprus are there any dos and dont's we should know about, any info would be grateful.

Many Thanks

Debs
Do's and donts:

Do try a brandy sour, preferably when you are sitting out in the sun.

Do take good sun protection, its roasting in Cyprus in July.

Do try to visit the Troodos mountains.

Do enjoy your holiday!

I cant think of any donts. Most people settle in really quickly - it feels kind of familiar in a way.

The huge majority of people who visit Cyprus really love it - and they go back year after year after year. My first visit was 1988 and we've been back at least 15 times since then. We do go on other holidays in between, but try to go to Cyprus at least once a year.

Have a fab time!
Have to agree with all the above

but also

Do try kleftico and a fish meze.

Helenxx
And stefado! :lol:
As for cruise company's I think Salamis, Paradise and Louis are the ones who do the Egypt trips. Do any of those ring a bell?

We did it with Louis, but it was in 1988 and there is probably no point in me talking about what the ship was like or anything like that, it was a long time ago! Definitely worth doing though.
Hi
there is a decent list of do's and don'ts here...
do's and don'ts

Ady
If it's Louis cruises its probably the 'Marissa'
Don't take to much luggage on board.
Don't buy any perfume in Cairo.
Don't buy papyrus at the shop they take you to.

Do dash upstairs ahead of your tour group in the Cairo museum and see Tut's treasure before the rush.
Do nip into the 'solar boat' museum near to the Great Pyramid at Giza, most people will miss it.
Do take plenty of water with you (to Giza) and half a toilet roll squashed flat in your bag. (one day you may thank me for this tip :D )
Do enjoy yourself, it's great.
Tez
Thanks for that - must admit when I posted I thought it sounded really stupid and I sometimes wonder if we are a bit OTT!

Then again with things like mozzies, tummy bugs etc etc etc anything that will help us to have a trouble free holiday we try out! We don't wait to see if there are mozzies before we use anything - my husband laughs 'cos he says I must knock out an elephant at a hundred paces ------- BUT NO Mozzies bites yet :lol:

Haven't had a bad holiday yet either ------ thanks HT!

:wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.