Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Just got back from the travel agents with our tickets, getting excited now! Thank for all the replies, you have given me some great ideas.

Debs
Do learn just a few words of Greek, if only good morning, please and thank you.
Almost everyone speaks English but it is appreciated if you make the effort

Dave
Grantpo,you lucky thing going to Protaras on the 27th we got back last Sunday and it was fantastic! we have been going there for the last 8 years and it just gets better and better.
Where are you staying?
Be warned its bloody hot at the minute,we went on the 19th for 2 weeks and you could tell when it turned into July the temperature went up and I had to sit under an umbrella,which I didn't do anytime in June.
Enjoy you'll have a fantastic time,and I'm very jealous......
Hi Keels71, we are staying that the Tsokkos Gardens Apartments, it appears to have pretty good reviews, Im just looking forward to being in Cyprus, ive not heard a bad thing said about the place. Roll on the 27th.

Debs
Mini Cruise, we were with Louis Lines on Princess Marissa. If it is this firm, they do have a website showing photos of the ships used. Do have a Keo Beer or if a Lager person, a "Charlie",(Carlsberg). If you can find a Kebab House, make sure you have the Kokkinelli (rough wine) with your meal. Do have a Meze. Do try the local cuisine, Kleftico which is Lamb cooked in a Clay Oven, Stifado which is a sort of stew. Have a Village Salad with your meals, this has got Feta Cheese on it. Hire a car and go into the Troodos Mountains and visit Makarios' Tomb also stop off at the village of Platres for a meal on your way down.
if going on the mini cruise do bring a cardigan or long sleeve top as the air con is freezing!!! on the ship esp in the bar also bring plenty of small denomination cypriot notes as tips on the ship as most of the staff rely on the extra tips to allow for them to save for university etc
Hi there,
We are going to Cyprus in August and I would like to do the trip to Egypt by air. The only problem is that I have a 20 months old baby. Has somebody done this excursions with children? Is it wise to go with a baby in a pram?
Thanks
Hi leli
I personally haven't done the trip but know people who have. They said it was a very long exhausting day and very warm. I certainly wouldn't like to take a youngster on the trip, I think they would be very miserable. If you did go you would need to take lots of liqiuds for baby, sunscreen, hat, and preferably one of those sun umbrellas that attach to the buggy. Mind thats only opinion, but then I'm an old worrywort grandma :lol:

Helenxx
Hi,

I would strongly advise not to take a baby to Egypt with you. We thought about it too as id love to see the Pyramids etc etc but it was hitting 40+ degrees when we were in Protaras last week and our wee girl whos also 20 months couldnt handle the heat there so God knows what it would be like for you in Egypt !! Adding to this we met a couple who did the tour and they advised that although the Sights were nice, they would never go back on it !! There are a lot of lengthy delays at the airport, you have an Armed Guard on the bus with you anywhere you go, and your bus is follwed by armed guards .... just in case ??? Not the environment i would take a baby into !!!

Hope this helps ??
Hi Leli,

I done the Egypt by air trip two weeks ago while in Cyprus and I would definately advise against taking a toddler. Although it was a fantastic experience it was a very long day, very hot and also you do walk around quite a bit during the day. Also when you are at the pyramids you have to avoid everyone trying to sell you stuff, I spent my time running away from them (and their camels!) so I imagine this would be an absolute nightmare with a pushchair. The trip to the museum was very interesting but I thought I was going to pass out with the heat in there.

Dont want to sound really negative as this definately was a trip of a lifetime but I wouldnt advise it with a small child.

Max
Did it by boat years ago, before we had kids, and would advise you not to go with a toddler at all. We were in our 20s when we did it and we were exhausted by it as you are on the go over 12 hours , so you can guess what it would be like with a 20 month child!

Think you should bite the bullet and wait a few years to be honest. It's a great trip but it would be ruined for you.
Hi everybody,
Thank you very much for your advice. I think I am going to leave it for the time being, even though I would like to go but you are right, it wouldn't be ideal for my baby.

Love
Lelixx
Went on the 3day mini cruise last year to Egypt. Cost us around £220 for 2adults and 2children. Fantastic, something you will never forget! :wow Will warn you though, its a very tiring trip. Dont take too many clothes with you, its very informal on the ship. Make the most of the time you have at the Pyramids (15mins stop!) and Sphinx (10mins stop!) :shock:
We are looking to book Cyprus next year and my 7 year old son desperatly wants to visit Egypt.
But i am unsure as to which trip to book.
Is there anybody they can give me their opinion as to which would be most suitable.
Thanks.
Hi michelle. I presume your son is 7 now, so will be 8 next year. We went to Egypt (family of 4) when we went to Protaras last year. My children were 9 and 11 at the time. Your son should be okay at that age, but be warned however, its a very tiring trip. You are travelling most of the day. :? We went on the 3day mini cruise, departing from Limassol. We enjoyed every minute of it, but be prepared to spend the little time you have visiting the Sphinx and Pyramids, wisely. We spent over 3hours travelling by coach to reach the Pyramids, and were told we had just 15MINUTES to enjoy them! It was no better at the Sphinx, only 10MINUTES there! :shock: Dont let me put you off though, its a once in a lifetime trip, any you will kick yourself if you dont go. :wave
hi i did the trip to eygpt last year with two children one 8 and one 6 we did the cruise it was three days and very intense but the children enjoyed it no end and are planing to do again next year when we go. I have a friend who did the flight and that was the same didn't get much time in any place. What i will advise though is be careful round the pyramids there are lots of sellars who are trying to sell everything to the tourists and are very pushy this can be a bit unnerving if you get separated but otherwise it was great and would definately advise the trip :D
Hi,

Just back from Cyprus and did the Egypt mini-cruise (with Salamis) the week before last and it was mostly excellent.
The drive from Port Said to Cairo was two and a half hours, but was interesting.
We had 30 minutes at the pyramids - which was enough as it was so hot, and 45 minutes at the sphinx. Same with the museum - not enough time there at all and could have done without the hour at the papyrus factory.

If you are going with children it might be better to do the classic tour rather than the one with the nile cruise lunch. We were fine, but several people on the trip had tummy trouble the next day.
Take lots of bottled water with you. It's very hot at Giza and you'll need lots to drink
As the previous message said, some people end up with tummy bugs. Don't buy bottles from vendors around the pyramids and the museum. They usually wave opened bottles at you - the contents may or may not be what it says on the label!!

Someone also suggested taking a soft toilet roll, squashed flat in your bag. If you need it you'll be so grateful........
My family all travelled on Salamis Glory to Egypt, and didnt hear one person moaning they had been sick. However, be prepared for all the toilets on board trhe ship to stop working when you are coming back to Cyprus. :?
I was desperate to go (no more details please!) but every toilet i went to was not flushing........and many people had been before me, if you get my meaning! :shock: Not very pleasant!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.