Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
a taxi driver tried to charge me 200 to go from the sportsmans bar calangute to the red lion pub in calangute. have a guess if he actually got that much
On Christmas Day we were too hot and too full to walk back to our Hotel so my OH asked a taxi driver how much from end of Beach Road to the Dona Alcina. He said 8 rupees. Fine.

When we got out my OH paid him and said that was a bit steep. I thought he was being a bit mean - 8 rupees? I hadn't heard the taxi driver properly, he had actually said 85 rupees. And my OH paid it. :twisted:
taximania .........i like your style and theres no way i could do your job regularly dealing with us the ungreatful, often rude & difficult, general public, esp when the times i remember myself in my younger days often having to get the poor taxi driver to stop so i could get out & throw up the 10L of god knows what id been drinking!!! :oops: ( be glad be very glad you arent/werent a taxi driver in perth west oz in those days!!!)
:roll:

Millym,we are very highly trained.
We are finely honed to every burp and hiccup you make on the route home.
Always leave my sowesta and wellies close to hand.

Had to smile last month taking a 21st birthday party home from Manny at 3 in the morning.
Tried to keep my eye on birthday boy as he was as full as an onion. Heard the window slide open on the bus as we hit the motorway.
Thought ahhhh he's getting some fresh air.
Heard him groan and it was all over in the blink of an eye.
Spewed out the window at seveny mile an hour and completly pebble dashed himself in the process.
Looked like he had been tarred and feathered with ready break. :yikes :bawl :bawl :bawl :bawl :bawl

AND TO CAP INSULT TO INJURY INSTEAD OF APOLOGISING ALL HIS SISTER SAID WAS..

" WHAT TIME U ON TILL MATE ...HAVE YOU BEEN BUSY " :shrug
Ahh well lifes a bitch and then you die.. 8)

Happy days :D
Anyone know what the fare SHOULD BE from airport to Morjim?
Unlike plumbers and electricians who work all year round, taxi drivers make all their yearly income in the tourist season, unless they work from the airport or a railway station. Why should they not earn more than a government worker, they are self employed (no pension), they pay a lot of money for their licences, yellow plates, insurance and permits. And at the end of the day 250 rps is around 3 quid, less than a packet of fags in uk. Its all relative guys xxx
Wouldnt we all like to earn enough in 6 months and im sure all the mannual wokers in Goa would like too as well, not too mention the Taxi Drivers at home
Bigneil

Official taxi rank outside the airport with prices on the board. Not sure price to Morjim but would be cheap less than £10.
:) I'd love to work for 6 months then have 6 months off!!
Kingfisher you are a star! Thanks for the taxi price link.
If I may I would like to post a reply to my original posting.

I'm actually in Goa at the moment and as far as haggling is concerned - the usual answer is quite an aggressive "you are a tourist and you can afford it." I was with a Goan friend of mine the other day and the taxi driver said he would take me, but not my local friend, - because she knew the real taxi fare.

I know it's all relative - but I was watching some women building a road yesterday - they only had flip flops on their feet and were breaking up rocks for 50 Rs a day. Most taxi drivers sit on their behinds all day and only need a couple of trips to make enough money for the day.

The solution is simple - if the government would enforce it's own declaration that taxis should be fitted with meters by February 2006. Then the taxis would be used by more visitors and locals alike.

If you've ever been to Goa you will know, that there are too many taxi drivers anyway. It's an easy job and suits the lazy Goan males, it's the women that do all the work here.
Hapi
And at the end of the day 250 rps is around 3 quid, less than a packet of fags in uk. Its all relative guys

I agree that it IS all relative but I think you're comparing apples and oranges here.
It's not a matter of how much things cost back here in the UK, it's how much other workers earn for a day's work in Goa.

As Malc says,
I was watching some women building a road yesterday - they only had flip flops on their feet and were breaking up rocks for 50 Rs a day.

I think this puts the amounts charged by taxi drivers into perspective.

Polly
lets allow the taxi drivers to make up their own prices, like hapi says, so that it is at least equal to uk prices. They're the biggest highway men going since Dick Turpin. I'm sure they will be doing other things when the holiday season is over.
"lets allow the taxi drivers to make up their own prices, like hapi says, so that it is at least equal to uk prices."

???? Ever been to Edinburgh and checked out the prices!

Let's not encourage taxi drivers to make up prices....

Another thing.. if they charge the proper rate they get a tip! If they don't no way!

Things may be cheaper in Goa but that doesn't necessarily mean that all tourists that go there are loaded.

I grudge a taxi driver ripping tourists off when as mentioned people are working as tradesmen for under 100rps a day. I do help a few people out in Goa. I should decide who I give a tip, extra cash or donation to.
just talk my folks who are out there till end of march and the hoilday truths is working as the gov out there had a meeting about cuting the cost of taxis as we all are not useing the taxis like we did a few years back and there have started to noice so i,m not being funny and i know its cheap out there but nice one if we keep it going on with everything we may see the old goa that we all love and the greedy people gone and it is very slow for this time of year out there :D
I dont intend to use taxi's as much this time as i did last year.
Its getting beyond a joke now
Greedy Taxi drivers outside the Hotel Ive just stayed in are the sole reason we wouldn't stay there again :evil:

We happened to get another driver for a day out, well you should have seen the look we got as we drove past!! When we got a taxi from the hotel that night we were interrogated.....''Where have you been today?'' ''Who was the driver'' '' Where did you get him from''
The hotel also had a resident Elephant for a short time, im told the Taxi drivers protested and the poor thing was moved on. Their reason was if you can see an Elephant outside your Hotel why go on a day trip?!!
I don't mind paying slightly over the odds as the Govenrment rate of 12 rupees per KM seems far too low. But having just got back, and being asked for 250 rupees for a 60 rupees journey by a tuktuk driver, we changed the way we deal with the drivers. For a relatively short journey for which we know the correct price, we do not negotiate the fare beforhand but simply handed them the money on leaving the taxi. Only one tried to ask for more, and when I reminded him of the Government rate, he drove off. No more haggling with drivers for us.

I agree with the comments though some of the prices quoted have been four or five times over the odds, but this appears to be everywhere in Goa now. Someone asked me for 100 rupees for a Goan newspaper on the beach, actual cost 3 rupees!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.