Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
So... what is the correct price (or a fair one) that I should be paying from Candolim to calangute - one for a taxi and one for a tuc-tuc.
We used to go to baga most days on the bus and they charge 8/9 rps you have to change in calangute its 5rps to there then 4rps to baga they dropped us off at the bottom where all the buses are lined up,motorbikes park you can,t go no farther.
:thanks Sleep..or..us im a bit puzzled when I use the bus you get off as you say at the top of the street in calangute ....but I have been on a bus that turned doen the street that goes to the beach in calangute ...so i thought it would take a right at the roundabout and go on in to baga :shrug :shrug
I was gona ask is there a bus that does that :?: and what one is it :?: .colleen
How often does the bus run from Aguada to Calangute?
How often does the bus run from Aguada to Calangute?

About every ten minutes by day until at least 6:30pm,
I'm not sure how frequent (if there are any at all) in the evening.
Sorry Irishcolleen i don't know about that bus maybe there is a bus that takes you straight to baga(hope there is ) will find out in march. :shrug
Slightly off topic I know - but in the "Elephant Shop" in Candolim today I was asked for 50 Rs for a can of Shweppes tonic.
The fixed price for it is 40 Rs.

This sort of thing happens everywhere in Goa these days.
Spike, we were paying around 60/70 rupees for a tuk-tuk and 90/100 for a taxi between Candolim and Calangute. And no tip! We couldn't get any cheaper no matter how hard we haggled.

I got in a tuk-tuk to Calangute and when the driver nearly killed us half wat there I got out and walked. He was furious that I wouldn't pay, but didn't ask if I wanted a tuk-tuk for the rest of the holiday!
HOW did he nearly kill yiz blondepuff I think we all have had that driver :rofl
Cheers Blondepuff.
A couple of interesting articles appeared in the Navhind Times ref "GREEDY" taxi drivers in Dec.

The state government have agreed that self employed and tourist taxi drivers can charge what the hell they like so long as they display a certificate during the months Oct to May...........so as I see it the Goan government are condoning the ripping off of tourists!!! No wonder then that the day after the ruling was agreed the taxi drivers placed a full page THANKYOU to the ministers responsible in the Navhind Times.
Article below:
http://www.navhindtimes.com/articles.php?Story_ID=12158

However the Bombay High Court have a different view, link below:
http://www.navhindtimes.com/articles.php?Story_ID=122716

A job as a taxi driver is an easy option, why else do you think there are so bl***y many of them!! Sure they moan about licenses and permits etc but any business in Goa has to pay for the relevant licenses etc......just look at the hassles the shack owners have.

GFF xx
It's dead easy.

Barter with the taxi driver for the price you want to pay. If not walk off and find someone who does want to. You will find one - there's loads as you all know. Just be as relentless as them - you will win.

Power to the customer :shock: :)

McGroogle
I do barter - but I find the whole situation spoils the holiday for me - it's not like bartering for a sarong which is usually enjoyable, this is just to prevent myself being ripped off which just annoys me.
Yes, why should we barter! If we were all charged the proper amount and all taxi drivers adhered by this maybe they would find out that the tips they get would equal their scam takings. But maybe this is too obvious!

It's getting pretty obvious by the number of complaints of recent, that taxi drivers are not doing themselves any favours.

For short journeys I'll start taking the bus!
My tuk-tuk driver wasn't looking and missed the fact that the traffic had stopped. He slammed his brake on, skidded, nearly went into the back of the car infront and had to vere to the left much to the surprise of the two people he nearly hit! Luckily he bounced off the wall and not the people. I don't mind near misses but that was too close for comfort - I almost ended up sitting on his lap!

Look out for him, he waits on the opposite side of the road to Ferns Supermarket. Old guy, no teeth. And no money off me!
:rofl poor you blondepuff but thank god you have lived to tell the tale....
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.