Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
O wow,I could manage that,what a great excuse for being late for work.
I thought someone would post that they had to sleep on airport floor,with no money left
to tip for 1 piece of toilet paper.
PS.now expected 22-00,
1999 - 3 day delay on our return with Monarch,5 star hotel and good compo to follow (missed my rugby final at Wembly - but also got ticket money back from Monarch)
Please please please dont let my husband read any of this we are on a Monarch flight in march and I have not heard the end of it from the day and hour we booked it ..... :argue :argue :argue :fly
My next door neighbours are on this flight, will be putting bread and milk on their doorstep once I know they have landed as it will be quite late by the time they arrive home. Am flying out with Monarch myself on Thursday so fingers crossed there are no problems. We had a 24 hour delay ourselves returning last January but we got to stay in our accommodation so it was like having an extra day but really wouldnt like an outbound delay
Manchester airport website now says expected 22-30,
From what i can remember about 5 years ago, we were delayed coming back from Goa. We were flying with JMC, and it turned out the plane had a fault, it could take off but couldnt land??? hmm, glad it was discovered before they took off haha.
Our flight was an early morning flight, well around 7am, and after spending all day in the airport, we eventually got told at 4pm our flight wouldnt take off for another 16 hours or so, as they were waiting for someone to come over from another country to fix the plane.

We got took to the Marriot hotel, nice comfy beds, we got put in the best room, as they had king size beds because there were 4 of us, so we shared one room.
If you knew in advance and could stay in resort ok,but to have an early night to catch an early flight,then to spend all day in the airport ,not good,did you have your luggage,or had you checked it in ?
Last year outward,our luggage was checked in and we couldn't have it back to go to hotel for the night,Monarch had to supply tooth brushes/toothpaste/rooms/evening meal plus breakfast & bus us back to airport,and when we returned home a letter from Monarch confirming 24 hrs delay was waiting for us,which we sent to insurance company,who promptly paid up,
Couldn't fault Monarch once they had got out of first and into top gear.
they've finally landed, they must be worn out and fed up, hope its not the same for them when they go back in February
we go this Friday and 6383 is our return flight on 9th February.
The knock on effect will have been sorted by then..............
she said confidently.
If you knew in advance and could stay in resort ok,but to have an early night to catch an early flight,then to spend all day in the airport ,not good,did you have your luggage,or had you checked it in ?

Yes, we had already checked in our luggage, so we just had our hand luggage.
We spent all day in the humid 'departure lounge' in Goa, and we could see our plane, but couldnt get on it :(
Some say we were lucky to have spent another night in Goa, but it wasnt quite like that. By the time we got to our hotel for the night, it was dark, and we were very tired so we had an evening meal, but had to pay for drinks, eg water, pop.
Then we went to bed in time for our wake up call at 4am.
Does anyone know what the cause of this delay was? I'm flying on it 18th February - Monarch are so poor :(
We were on this flight, what a nightmare!! We eventually took of 27 hours late due to a fault on the plane. They had to send for a part from Bombay and when that arrived they discovered that they needed another part which had to be sent for from London. The worst thing was that we were not given much information from Monarch and there was no sign of a rep from them for the whole 27 hours. We were kept in the airport all morning then taken to a hotel for lunch which was very nice but slow to ferry all of the passengers there. Then we were led to believe that the plane had been fixed and we were flying at 6pm (due to fly at 9.30am) only to be told when we got to the airport to collect our luggage as we were staying another night in Goa. This was pot luck as some of the hotels we were sent to were an hour from the airport and full of cockroaches. One couple stayed in the staff quarters. Some people were lucky and were sent to a good hotel. When we eventually took off 27 hours late the captain informed us that we couldn't go via Bahrain due to high winds so we were redirected to Larnaca where we then spent another 3 and a half hours sitting around waiting for another crew to arrive from a hotel as our crew had done too many hours. There was nearly a riot on the plane as we had been told to get back on board before the new crew had arrived so we were sitting on the tarmac for another hour and a half. I don't think I will ever fly with Monarch charter flights again, the plane was ancient, still had ashtrays and big tv screens, even the announcement to extinguish cigarettes was still there. We eventually arrived in Manchester 33 hours late without even an apology from Monarch or any complimentary drinks.

Has anyone ever claimed compensation from Monarch for a delay and if so how do you go about it?
They will probably send you a claim form, last year after our delay we were handed one as we entered the airport on landing, but we didnt get back as you. We fly out with Monarch on Thursday and hoping we have no delays. You can claim off your holiday insurance too
Tracy,what a horror story,sounds like an absolute shambles.
We claimed from our insurance for our delay,not sure if you can claim from both Monarch & insurance,
Were you asked to fill a form in when you were on the plane,with name,address etc so that Monarch could send a letter confirming your delay,(this is for insurance claim).They dont believe you otherwise.
What an awful story. I don't think you should have to claim off you insurance after all it was the airlines fault and they should pay out compensation, the airlines are quick enough to take your money but don't like paying out. if they haven't provided a service why should you pay for it
we

We claimed from both Monarch and our insurance
We were also on this flight, an absolute shambles Monarch are a disgrace!!!! Not one apology no Monarch rep to be seen anywhere the worst flight we have ever encountered, lies lies and more lies we were treated like morons ,when we eventually took off 27 hours late the captain said that they had decided to refuel in Larnaca and then it would be a 15 minute turnaround and we would be staying on the plane, lo and behold one single bus turned up as we landed to ferry all the passengers to the terminal and surprise surprise the flight crew were then over their hours and we had to wait for another crew to turn up :? surely the captain would have known this before we set of from Dabolim! They even got us back on the plane an hour and a half before the crew turned up the plane was boiling hot kids were crying, some people were taking their frustrations out on the crew we were never so much as offered a bottle of water in all this time and when we eventually took off not a word of apology was uttered!!!! to add insult to injury the meals Dabolim to Larnaca; curry chicken and rice Larnaca to Manchester curry chicken and rice I thought these are really taking the P$$$ .
We were also on the flight from Manchester last season that was delayed 24hrs the one I couldnt find any details for on Manchesters website same as a few other passengers who voiced this concern when they checked in.
WE WILL NEVER SET FOOT ON A MONARCH PLANE AGAIN! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: as yummy mummy said it sounds good another day and night in goa but it wasnt like that at all.
and yes that was me who gave out the announcment in Dabolim about the missing Monarch aircraft :lol: Allan.
Been through this with Monarch and First Choice 2 years ago and the year before that.

Monarch delayed 24 hours +. First Choice much the same.

Don't expect the insurance company to cough up much unless you have VERY COMPREHENSIVE cover. Check it out, delay payments are usually paid on the WAY out. I managed to hustle £65 for 2 people and that took a lot of time on the phone. They did allow internal BA UK flights to be honoured.

As far as they (Travel Co's) are concerned they did their best, you got fed and accomodation. I was surprised by their attitude but by all accounts this is the way they work these days unless you are paying full ticket price (Scheduled BA). These flights to Goa are as cheap as they come and as long as they get you home in one piece that's all that matters to them.
my travel agent gives me "free insurance" or I am not playing,and teddy is thrown out of the cot,
Last year he gave me GOLD insurance for my cheek.
Have just checked some bank statements and we got £80 for 2 people for 24 hr delay.
On this years gold (well he can't go back to standard can he) its still the same.
£20 for the first 12hrs and £20 each 12hrs after ,up to £300.
Standard is £10 for first 12hrs and £10 each 12hrs after up to £100.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.