Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Remember to deduct the weight of your suitcase and this means you actually only have possibly 12kgs left for the hold. (In real terms).....I don't think its enough but hey it all depends on how economical you are with packing. Most of us will struggle, we have upgraded next March but only cos we are going for 3 weeks and 15kgs is unrealistic (for us)! Fizz
We manage perfectly well with 15kg each, we use the local washers so we don't need to take that much with us
Check if you can take a standard size carry on bag as well, If so you should be able to put another 5kg in that.
For things like coats etc. carry them.
Buy books in Goa, saves weight.
I think it depends on a number of things.
Are you the type of person who just HAS to have a different outfit every evening with matching shoes?
Are you happy to use whatever suncream/showergel/shampoo you can buy in resort?
How heavy are your empty cases?
Do you like to bring back lots of fake handbags/sparkly flip-flops/pashminas?

Our cases usually weigh less than 20kgs each for 3 weeks and I take suncream and all other toiletries (although I do decant moisturiser etc so I only take what I'll use).
We also take 8 or so thick paperback books in our checked luggage as we do read a lot.
I mix & match my outfits so I wear different trousers with different tops.

IMHO, it IS do-able, even without having clothes laundered.
But, if you get it wrong - either on the outbound or inbound journey - it could be a costly mistake.
How much do TC charge for excess baggage?
Hi Pretty polly just picked up my tickets for 7th dec flight and checked with Thmas cook they are charging £6 per kilo over the 15 kilos or so they told me in thomas cooks shop...
Limit your clothes especialy the guys, you can buy t-shirts on the beach or on the stalls , I think i payed about £10 for 4 t-shirts or something like that, ripcurl, billabong etc all copies of course but great for holidays.
Personally I would pay more and get the 20kg.
I find it absolutely disgusting that 20kg for a long haul flight should be the norm. Holiday companies who charge more to get you 20kg are a blatant attempt to get more money. Personally I am 50kg overweight, I am just looking for the day we start getting charged for been overweight.

You could try wearing 3 layers of clothes to get through security and then put it all in your hand luggage.
I personally do not travel anywhere without a full outfit in my hand luggage. Underwear, swimming costume, Night outfit, all packed up in a travel squishy bag from QVC or Wilkinsons.

Once you get through Security, then you can buy all your toiletries , bottles of water, books, magazines etc.
If you stop at Bahrain, you can buy water , cans of coke etc from the shop in the airport.

Lisa
to me it doesn't matter how far your going. 2 weeks are 2weeks wherever you go. we have found we can manage with 15 kgs of luggage. naturally we have to wash some things during the holiday, not a problem. we try to keep our 5kgs cabin allowance down to a minimum, in case we bring stuff back, or pack things in it that we won't be bringing back.
BOB :tup :tup
We did Cambodia , Vietnam and Thailand for 11 nights in summer with just 12 kilos, it was easy, just took very mini sized toiletries, and used the laundry service a couple of times ,we were flying emirates and were allowed 20kgs but prefer to travel light :)
  • Edited by shirleyV 2008-11-18 18:59:43
Why on earth do you need 20kg of luggage? :que
Even for a month my bag rarely weighs more than 10kg!
Although I'm clothes-mad most items are silk or lightweight cotton and weigh practically nothing. We wash things regularly or use the 24hr laundry service in the village.
I take 2 pairs of sandals, suncream and hair conditioner (everything else is purchased when we get there, as it's so much cheaper).
We pack a micro-fibre towels and use sarongs to lie on when we go to the beach.
We take lots of paperback books which are divided between hand luggage and hold baggage and use a book exchange when we've read them.
When we buy things we post or ship them back home so we don't have to carry them.
I do similarly to goanmad, and can manage quite adequately on 15 kg. The thing that I struggle with a bit is the weight of books - I go through one a day minimum, and that's a lot of books. Finding book exchanges is therefore always high on my list! Clothes, I take lightweight ones and just wash 'em through, and I buy anything I need when I get there, it's cheap enough to do so.
Whizzylizzy
Of course it's a blatant attempt on the part of airlines to get more money out of people.
In exactly the same way as charging to sit together or choose specific seats are money-making schemes for them.
It's the people who can't manage to pack for a couple of weeks in the sun within what most people consider a 'reasonable' limit that have led companies to offer this extra at a cost.
I personally would prefer those people to pay extra for taking everything including the kitchen sink rather than the airlines charge me more for my basic seat and (for me, more than adequate) luggage allowance.

We've recently done an 11 city 27 day tour of China, where temperatures varied between 30C in Shanghai and -4C in Chengde, and took less than 32kgs between us.
Even with all the shopping I did (3 pair of shoes, numerous pashminas etc), we were within the 20kg pp limit on the way back.
hi
if you cut down on clothes you can pick up anything you need there really cheap there is even a r99/-
shop cheap enough for you to leave behind room boys will be happy,also ladies first time in goa usualy always take a thousand shoes that you wont wear so forget them, again can be bought cheaply same with towells,dont take anything white below knee level it will soon be a nice shade of red,pack some lightweight stuff in your carry on and carry your coat then chill :sun2
sorry forgot to say you can get all your toiletries,etc there brands that you will know
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.