Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Just back Report
24 Posts
sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for taking the time to write a report and give recommendations. :)
Fab report, Thanks for posting that :thanks

Just a couple of months before we get our turn to stay at the Marinha Dourada ( you haven't made the waiting get any easier ;) ) it's our first time also and I'm looking forward to trying your restaurant recommendations.

Can you shed any light on the building work going on around the MD ?

Thanks again and the best of luck in finding a good deal for March.

Cheers
Excited Rog :tongue
There is some building work going on, but from our room you could only hear it from the bathroom which is at the back. Don't know about other annex rooms though which were right in front of it. You could hear some banging at the pool but I think it was just because it is so quiet,didn't both us at all and i know the annex rooms were bigger than the ones on the original side.

Debi
Forgot to mention anyone missing a good english breakfast try the pickeled parrot up the stairs, just before you get to Britto's (its on the road not the beach) it is run by an english couple, the works with toast,tea or coffee for 180rps (sometimes the urge just grabs you). Also Baskin Robbins, an ice cream shop (very modern and like ben and gerrys) a few doors down from the pickled parrot,lovely ice cream sundeas, a safe alternative from the beach sellers.

Debi
Hi Deb, loved reading your review of Goa.
Bad photo but is this east meets west? Where there is the big seating structure at the back looking down over all the other tables?

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2407/27022007273xj3.th.jpg
Mardon - I think that place is "Lounge Fly". East meets West is very nearby.
hi Deb

Glad you had a good time but where is souynemans.
It is just off the Calangute/Candolim rd right by after seven. it is on the main rd that the Osbourne is off (think you could possibly walk it from there but not sure)If the taxi driver doesn't know where it is he will know after 7 and then you see a sign up a small dirt track to Souynemans Kitchen,well worth a visit,the fillet steak (huge piece and proper fillet)with either mash (plenty) jacket or chips including a sauce of your choice (pepper,blue cheese etc) and veg 295 rps:tongue (they wanted 250 on the beach) dishes also tried by our group, seared tuna (heaven) special chicken dish (divine) and the best voted sweet was butterscotch brulee

I a now going to put the meat in the oven for our dinner as I have made myself starving :D
Great to read your report, another Goa convert!!! ;)
Oh I am so glad you enjoyed your holiday Deb. Was wondering what you would think of Goa and the MD ......
Souyemans Kitchen is probably one of my favourite restaurants along with After 7. I do like East Meets West for ambience but they cant match the food from the other two restaurants IMO.
If you get booked for March we will see you there :tup
Hulls Souymans Kitchen is opposite After 7 about 50 yards further along the road coming from Calangute. It is signposted from the road. I think I should be on commission cos ive recommended so many people to try it out :rofl
Totally agree Gemma,east meets west good night out ,but nowhere near as good food. I also liked Alfresco opposite all spice,you can't really see it is open from the rd as they are waiting for the licence to open the new bar area. We had some good meals there and went to watch Garry,one of the waiters play in a charity football match in Candolim(Apora V Candolim) Apora won 1-0 and we had a great time with all the local kids playing housey housey at half time.

debi
Great Debi sounds like you had a smashing time. I know of Alfresco but never been in there either, might need to put it on my list for March, so many places to visit. I take it the food was good. what were the prices like?
I had beef done in portwine and rosemary with mashed potato and fresh veg, I think it was 250rps. (the dearest in there) Had a nice bottle of Rose wine as well.
I have to say i was so dissapointed with allspice. My son got chicken & sweetcorn soup to start and there were large lumps of the mon sodium gunk they put in. Our curries were just not as good as what we had at Oceanic and St Anthonys on the beach.

Debi
We have been to All Spice before Debi, but not on our last few visits. I couldnt count the people we met at the Marinha Dourada who had very bad upset tummies after eating at All Spice. Our food was nice and I enjoyed it, but hearing about other people being unwell after having eaten there did put me off a bit.
Alfresco sounds nice tho, might give that a try, thanks for the tip! :wave:
Went all spice last year waited 1.5 hours for meal was a great place years ago, the problem is it is to popular now and are cutting corners to get that amount of meals out, needs bigger kitchen more chefs,alfrescos across the road sounds nice will give it a try this year,allspice was my favorite place i started useing it when it was a red soil floor i am still glad they are doing well.
Could i just say that my wife & i stayed at the M.D. last February & ate at 'all spice' most evenings & we never had any complaints at all. Yes it is very popular & sometimes there was a bit of a wait, but the service & welcome we got made up for it. I am sure if anyone was not satisfied with their food a word with Vinnie would soon get things sorted. :tup
Ive never found anything wrong with All Spice either, but I have heard of many people complaining of upset tummies after theyve eaten there.
Even if I thought so highly of All Spice, I know for a fact I wouldnt eat there "most evenings" when there is an abundance of different restaurants to try out.
I think eating out is a subjective experience and i have to say the service at All Spice (when eventually seated) was second to none, I just felt the food was not as tasty as others we had eaten, and when we sent the soup back they did change it however the second bowl was still full of lumps. I think (as poultonkid said) the fact it is so popular has probably had a detremental effect.

Debi
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.