Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
Hi,

I can't advise you as to whether it would be better to wait for better prices etc. but I came back from Kuredu on Monday and found the Monarch flights fine. They are charter flights but you get one hot meal and one snack each way, wine with dinner and free soft drinks, a couple of films. I'm 5"9 and found the pitch ok. Some people were whinging that they weren't as good as Emirates but then the price isn't as high as Emirates! Premium looked good but it all depends on what you want - I found the cattle class bearable but it's not luxurious!

There's a dive school and there were a fair amount of divers there who said it was pretty good - we stuck to snorkeling and really enjoyed that. It's quite a big island which suited us - if I can help with anything else just ask.
Hi, Thanks for your reply, we have booked now for next October with First Choice, it was about £150 more expensive but the flight times were better for us connecting to and from Aberdeen, didnt upgrade our flight as it was going to be £300 pp!!! :yikes
Really looking forward to going, just wish it wasn't such a long time away!
What type of room did you stay in?? We haven't upgraded our room either but were wondering if maybe we should .....
Even though it is one of the largest islands is it still a small little hideaway or do you know that it is actually large and full of people??
Also what are the seaplane transfers like ..... im not the best of flyers
Thanks
Katie. :sun2
Hi,

We stayed in the basic room which I though was fine but it does depend what you're looking for - they are cool and clean and you have a patio area with a couple of loungers and chairs but you're not straight out on to the beach and then sea, most have some trees in from of them - from memory those numbered between 400-410 were on the beach so you could ask for one of these. The bathroom area is outside at the back which I got used to very quickly and quite enjoyed in the end - going out in the middle of the night is an experience though!

The Seaplane is fine, about 12 to a plane and the sights are amazing - my heart was in my mouth for about 5 minutes but then it's just to impressive to worry! Your suitcases don't come with you - they tend to arrive about 7 that evening so it was useful to put the bits you'll need on the top of your packing, then when you land at Male and pick up your case take them out and put them in your hand luggage for the sea plane so you have stuff for that afternoon.

The pool area and bars/restaurants are fairly busy - not to the point where you can't get a sun lounger or a seat but you'll definitely know there's other people there - but you can always find yourselves a quiet bit of beach - and the Akiri bar is always more more low key.

Hope you have a great time.

V
Hi, Thanks for your reply. Im dead excited, wish it was this October not next!
If i think of other info then i will ask again if thats ok!!??
Katie.
:)
Hi
We are going to kuredu on the 18th January and will let you all know how things went.

Joe
:) my husband and i went to kuredu in nov2005 and we had no rain at all, my only advice would be take coffee and tea ,with you because once you have used whats in your room they do not refil,also if you use the minnie bar in your room it will be expensive we asked our room boy who was brill to empty it out so we would not be tempted,then we used the fridge for our bottled water when you go just sit relax and enjoy it is a brilliant island and if mayden is still there she will look after you she is one of the best staff on the island
We are going here for our honeymoon in Dec 2009 and have researched the accomodation quite a bit on the Kuredu forum

the general consensus is UPGRADE ... the garden villas are not bad but no beach you have to walk your sunbeds down to beach plsy the views aint great

if you can afford it upgrade to a beach bungalow ... they are an extra £150 per couple for 2 weeks roughly and have read its best £150 you will spend

these are the rooms 400 + that someone mentions above are on the beach ..

spose it depends what you want really but we thought if we are paying a lot whats an extra £75 each to have a beach front terrace

they also use a banding system on the island so the cheaper rooms can only eat in one restaurant as part of all inclusive

although have read the ones used for beach bungalows is a lovely restaurant

just thought would warn you not every bar and restaurant is part of your all inclusive package

Hope this helps
Hi Stacey,

Thanks for replying, i have also been using the Kuredu website/forum, very handy indeed!

It is a B/B we are staying in, first choice don't offer the garden bungalow at all, that says it all really doesnt it!

We have decided not to upgrade our room to a Beach villa or JBV and are going to spend the extra on A/I gold upgrade instead, that said of course it will depend on the strength of the pound to the dollar at the time, it's not great just now thats for sure!

Im not sure that the banding thing is going to be a problem anyway, we kinda like to eat, have a drink then head back to our room and chill, hence the a/i gold upgrade so we can use our mini-bar in the evening.

Katie
Hi Stacey :wave:

if you can afford it upgrade to a beach bungalow ... they are an extra £150 per couple for 2 weeks roughly and have read its best £150 you will spend

Is that the price you would pay in resort to upgrade? We are going to book for next year and First Choice are charging £700 and Thomas Cook are charging £840 for the upgraded beach bungalow.

Cheers
Graham
Thats the price we paid with Travel Counsellors - is that upgrade price to a beach bungalow or a beach villa ?? the beach villas were about that to upgrade to ...
Hi Stacey

First Choice are charging £700 and Thomas Cook are charging £840 for the upgraded beach bungalow

That was the price to a beach villa, I think, there are some differences between the FC brochure accomodation description and the FC website :que

Went to book it today and the basic cost has risen by just over £300 so didn't book it :(
Went to book it today and the basic cost has risen by just over £300 so didn't book it

:really Up a further £70 today, so we are now looking at a different company or another island :(
Up a further £70 today, so we are now looking at a different company or another island

Well thats Kuredu ruled out now.

We have booked Meeru via The Co-operative Travel who matched the online FC price, £3794 for 2 weeks in the Water Villas going Oct 2010 and as a co-op member Mrs. G will get a substantial dividend return on top of that as well ;)
If it's any help we have been to both islands (plus a few others as well!!) and of the two we preferred Meeru !!!! Any room in your suitcase?????
Thanks for that info, it does look and sound lovely.

Any room in your suitcase?????

As there is no real need for loads of fancy shoes in Meeru I am sure there will be plenty of spare room on this trip ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.