Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi again Tony, well there's more shops in Bodrum but there's still a fair few in Gumbet so your wife can still get her shopping fix - obviously a woman after my own heart!! If I were you, I would look for a hotel in Gumbet. It's more relaxed there than Bodrum but has less of a busy town feel. You can easily get the dolmus into Bodrum (a 10-minute ride away) and have a good look round but we always find it's nice to take the dolmus back to Gumbet when we've been into Bodrum.

There's tons of great restaurants in Gumbet and loads of bars, ranging from the "bang, bang, thump, thump" to the chilling to the friendly - take your pick. I don't know what kind of hotel you're looking for - before we bought our own house over there, we always stayed at the Serhan on B&B basis. It's not a posh hotel - more the small and friendly but spotlessly clean and very welcoming. You become more than a guest when you stay there - we still go back to see all the staff there every time we go to Gumbet and they've now become friends. It's in a good location, one street back from the beach (the beach is across the road and down a little ginnel - or that's a Lancashire word, I should have said little alley - which has shops and stalls along it). The hotel is close to all the bars, restaurants and shops as well but just enough out so as you're not disturbed by any loud noise. It's in a lovely part of Gumbet and may be worth you having a look at (you can book through http://www.travelrepublic.com at really good rates). Hope you find something to your liking. Do let us know what you choose.

JAKKI xx
hi kedi
thanks for all info i think it could be bodrum town as long as there is plenty of shops for the wife and nice restaurantes we will be happy ;
now we looking for s/c or bed and breakfast have you any info on accomadatoin or is that gumbet jakki department
tony
Hiya

First timer eh? I have read all the comments posted, and I agree with some, others, lets say I will agree to disagree.

Travelled to Turkey for over 12 years, and have always stayed AI, and yes, before others start screaming,.........going sc or B&B does afford some people more freedom to eat where they want, and wander back to their hotel when they want, but, if the poster wants 3/4* hotel that is AI, then I think she has the situation sussed. If she has the hotel of good standards, that offers good food, and drinks, (which when you have kids, thats where the cashola goes) then the family can eat breakfast, have a couple of drinks, and then go on a wander round, or jump on a dolmus. They could eat out quite well at lunch times for about £20 for the whole family. Buy bottled water from any little shop for a few lira, and then back to the hotel for the evening meal, drinks, ice cream for the kids, and entertainment, and keep their money for another day.
We have stayed in Kemer, Alanya, Belek, Side, and Lara Beach in the Antalya area, the hotels here are fantastic for the luxury factor, offer the whole family everything they could want within the complex, and food and drink usually on a 24 hour basis, most are very high quality, but that comes with a high price tag. The only problem with some of the regions is, once outside the hotels, you have very few places to go, and it is a bit samey. Antalya is a fantastic place to visit, as is Side, Side has the most beautiful beach, and good shopping, although you do get hassled in the main street.
Olu Deniz, Fethiye, Dalyan and Icmeler are also lovely places, beautiful walks, beaches, places to see, fantastic boat trips, and the views are stunning.

Kusadasi may be a place where you could find everything you would want, good hotels, fantastic beach, brilliant shopping, the harbour where the cruise liners come in is brilliant, especially the ice cream vendors......yummy. Have priced a hotel up in Kusadasi recently for friends (Ephesus Princess) good prices, excellent facilities for kids, and free child places up to age 12) it is near Ephesus too, and that is one trip you must do, amazing.

Best place to fly into for us, is Bodrum airport, We have stayed in Torba, Gumbet, Turgutreis, and Bodrum itself, and we are returning to Torba twice next year. It offers the best hotels, the best views, amazing boat trips, sunsets to die for, the people are friendly, kind and always have so much time to spend just talking with you. There are some excellent hotels that I think would suit your pocket in any of these areas, and there are so many places to visit and some of the beaches, coves and bays would be superb for the whole of the family. Bodrum itself, isn't all that, no beach, and quite busy, but catch a Dolmus from there to any other little village or town, have a walk around the castle, or go across to Kos for the day, the choices are endless. Plus if you have a day into Turgutreis on a Saturday morning when one of the biggest markets I have ever seen is on, the bargains you will find will please your wife no end. Most things priced in Turkish Lira in Turgutreis and surrounding area, the bigger places usually price up in Euros, which can confuse, but someone will put you right on that score.
The time of year you are going is the best time in my opinion, we go in May and again in Mid September, beautiful days, slightly cooler nights, so better for sleeping, and at least you can walk round in a little more comfort.

I would thoroughly recommend Turkey as a destination, and whichever region you decide on will only bring you endless amounts of joy, I hope you find a hotel that suits your needs, and should you want any suggestions, well, my name is on the top, drop me a message.

Happy hunting. :D
Hi again,

Sorry, the above post of mine is mainly aimed at mozzy187, but if it helps anyone else, then happy days................see ya.
Excellent post there triflebum . Lots of useful info there and a good read . :)
Cheers for that. Problem is though, I could write a novel, and still have 2 thousand words left...................yap yap yap.

I think I have got the point across that I love Turkey. lol
Thanks for all your useful info on Turkey, and as for the Club Turban, I couldn't actually give a **** if it is in Marmaris or elsewhere, having never been to Turkey before, I wouldn't know the difference.

The reason for going AI is with 2 children asking for icecreams and drinks all day, the cost can run away with you, at least with AI you know where you are.

I will have a look at the reviews of the places you have suggested, and try and make a decision, and if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

Ideally we need a hotel that has family rooms oo, as the children are so young, they need to be in with us. It would be nice to have a couple of Al a carte restaurants too, to give a bit of variety, and maybe a kids club all somewhere that has kids activities. Children are 6 and 2

Many Thanks
Mazzy
Belek is where you need, a wee bit dearer but you will not get better .

Bluepeterno1
Hiya Mazzy

Yes Belek has some of the best 5*AI hotels in the Antalya region, but they do have a high price tag, and I think you asked for 3 to 4* and obviously with a young family you will need good beaches too and hopefully nice walks, and although the hotels in Belek have good beaches, once outside the hotels, you need a Dolmus, or Taxi or a hire car to gad about. There is a tractor (Wally Trolly) that comes by every half hour, past all the hotels and takes you into Belek town for a couple of Lira, fun for the kids.
The Susesi may be a good hotel for you? too big for us, but ideal for families, good choice of a la cartes, and quiet zones too. Excellent pool areas, and good animation team for the children. There are deals to be had, but, I think quite pricey, and there are better.
Another good one in the Belek area is the Xanadu, fantastic for kids and adults alike, but I think we are getting away from your original remit.

I will, if I may, encourage you to go into another region, Side is also in Antalya, absolutely stunning beaches, and there is a little town away from the hustle and bustle called Kumkoy, lovely to just walk into and have a look round the shops, bazaar, and have a drink at the lovely little cafe' bars. Slightly less expensive hotels here too, and most of the them are family orientated. There is the Sentido Perissia, The Barut Hemera, The Hotel Asteria
and further out of Side is the Hotel Joy Nashira, all are lovely, close to beaches and all offer a la carte restaurants.

The one I think would be the most family friendly for you would be the La Blanche in Turgutreis (Bodrum region) if you read all the reviews on this hotel, you will find very few negative comments, it is a good quality 4/5* AI, wonderful beach, childrens own pool area with slides and playground,3 a la cartes, little mexican cafe, open 6 days a week at lunch time, pool bar, and excellent main buffet restaurant. Very flat, so no worries walking with your children, about a 15 minute walk into the main town, and little harbour, where you can hire a boat trip or just wander round the little streets and have a coffee or something stronger. This hotel does have family rooms, it is a well loved place, and people have only good things to say about it. Not as luxurious as the Xanadu or Susesi, but it makes up for that with care and attention to detail, and personally I think for you and yours it is a well priced hotel, and for your first visit to Turkey would allow you the choice of seeing the other little towns and villages that surround it.
Also, have a look in Ortakent too, and Gumbet. Gumbet has good hotels, and is a little more lively than Turgutreis, good hotels here though,The Royal Asarlik and WOW both have good reviews, and the WOW is just getting better and better.
Plenty to have a look at there, and I just know you will get a lot more to choose from.
Take care
:hols
Cheers for that. Problem is though, I could write a novel, and still have 2 thousand words left...................yap yap yap.

Well I'm really enjoying your novel TB .

So many of us here have our particular favouite areas that it so refreshing to see a good mix of different areas recommended for newbies (and of course regulars ) to consider . I for one will be having a good look at some of your suggestions . we stayed next door to the La Blanch last year (Aegean dream resort) and really enjoyed the location and walk along the little promanade into Turgetreis . The proximity to the market (10 minute walk) was a bonus too . May take a better look at the La blanch myself .

lyn
Cannot see you getting any better than the Susesi in the Belek area ,stayed there twice already this year and booked up for another twice next year .luvly jubly :clap
Bluepeterno1
Hiya Lyn,

Thanks for your lovely comments, I just love everything about Turkey, you never know what is round the next corner, and that is what I enjoy really. We have only ever stayed at the same hotel twice, but it had changed on our second visit, so that is why we always try a different one or 2 or even three, (lol) every year. I think the La Blanche has everything a good hotel should have, wonderful staff, good and varied food, good rooms and lovely views, Like I say, it isn't in the league of the luxury ones in Belek or Side, but, the sunsets, walks and people made up for that. And we are looking at the Aegean Dreams for next year. We are going to the Voyage Torba in May, and Kadikale resort in Kadikalesi in September, so can't wait.

Hiya bluepeter, I am so glad you are going back to the Susesi, you obviously love it, and good on ya, we just found it too big for us, although the food was excellent, and the alcohol slushes,Mmmmm to die for.
The good thing is, we all like different hotels, and we all have differing views on our holidays, which is a good job really, could you imagine everyone holidaying at the same hotel.............lol

When are you both going away next year? Just being nosey.
Take care. :sun2
For the first time in years we are actually taking a break from Turkey and going to cuba next year Trifle.
We have mostly stayed A/I ,this year at the Hemera but next year will probably be the last time our two eldest boys (18 and 17) will want to come away with us so we are having a little break and then will no doubt return the following year maybe even giving SC a go in a one of the smaller resorts such as Akyaka .

lyn
Arrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiba Lyn,

Cuba, oh yes, mucho mucho, just the flight that has put me off. One day I will do it though.

Take care, speak soon. :fly
We are going to the Susest early August and early October and we are trying for the Club voyage end of may start of June .The club voyage is another good hotel in Belek with nine al a carte retaurants.Childrens outdoor funfair with roundabouts and all sorts of rides great for kids.

Bluepeterno1
Hiya

We going to the Voyage Torba in May, fantastic place, all the voyage hotels have such wonderful facilities, have you been on their web site? oh what an informative and helpful site to visit. Even the a la carte menus are listed, and the rooms at the one in Torba have just been renovated to a very high standard. I hope you get the holiday you want in Belek, have you been watching the prices? October is a lovely time to holiday in Turkey, so I am led to believe. we go mid to late September, and it is glorious, as is May, less crowds, cooler weather and beautiful flowers, what more could you want. Are you on countdown too peter? Oh so sad really, but, that's what we all work for, our time in the sunshine.
Take care.
Hi Tony :wave: ,

I can give you some recommendations for Gumbet but I haven't actually stayed in Bodrum town. Nice apartments are: Tropicana Beach, Siesta Beach (but book an apartment not a studio as they aren't so nice), Queens Resort, Orange Apartments, Tosunolglu Apartments, Greenhouse, Ozukara or Ozukara 2. Nice Hotels: Parkim Ayaz, Gumbet Cove, Serhan Hotel, Gumbet Resort Beach Hotel (the one on the beach, NOT the Litera one)

I hope this helps you but give me a shout if you wnt to know anything else.

Kedi
hi kedi
thanks the serhan hotel sticks in my head ,i may have herd someone else mention the name i will look in to it ,
it could be giumbet jakki
thanks kedi
Yep, must admit that I'm responsible for mentioning the Serhan Hotel - and no I'm not on commission for them but we always found it to be a really small and friendly hotel where you are more than just somebody staying in the hotel - you become a welcome guest and a friend.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.