Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
LTI Grand Azure *
1176 Posts
BARBARAL

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, I'll hit Gatwick early (well I will be there at 6.30 am .....................)

I just hate

- 1 leaving it thinking I'll get it on the way back and then cant
- 2 getting it on the way out and sitting next to some smart a**e
on the plane who says something like "you should have got it
in XYZ as its always cheaper .............."

That always makes for a good start to my holiday!

So advice from seasoned travellers is welcome before hand.

(So I can be the SA on the plane now!!)

Karen
We returned from the Grand Azure last weekend and after only one week back at work we are pining to return. Anyone who has yet to go is going to have a fabulous time.

If you are wondering about upgrading to suites/green bands - we would recommend it. The suites are nicer and closer to the lobby area.

All the staff are very friendly - especially Fouquet, Hany Said and Mohamed who work in the Chinese restaurant in the evening and are back to serve breakfast in the executive lounge by 7am in the morning.

The a la carte restaurants are good. The best are the chinese and italian but all are worth trying. We found lunch better at the Tropicana (with is near the beach) where you could get fresh pizzas and kebabs.

The buffet gets a little busy - getting a table can be difficult at these times. However tipping did help - the staff remember you next time and from then on we were always led to a table very quickly!!!!

If anyone has any questions we will be more than happy to answer them - I am hoping to post the pictures on the web soon and we are busily working on our dvd to rekindle the happy memories of our first time in Egypt.
Hi Goodchild family

Sounds as if you had a wonderful time like we did last year. We are going again in September and fancy upgrading to a suite. Can you tell how much you paid for the upgrade or did you book this in advance??

Thanks

Eirian
Eirian

We booked direct with the hotel (through Med Hotels) and booked the suite then. I think it cost £1047 per week. The benefit was we did not pay for our daughter - the price is per room - so she only cost us the flight! If we went through a tour operator we would have had to pay 3rd adult price as she is 13.

We had no problems booking direct and were still invited to a welcome meeting on arrival (we didn't go as we did not want any trips this time).

Hope this helps

Regards

Anne-Marie
x
Hi the Goodchild family

We are off in July for 2 weeks and could only book a standard room through our tour operator, haw do you recomend upgrding?? can you do this on arrival and what is the cost?? is it worth e - mailing them first, fist choice offered family rooms but we missed out because they were fully booked.

The Lockley family
Hi to the Lockley family

You will have a good time in July - I am jealous! As for upgrading you could try emailing the hotel or even ringing them - the reception staff spoke very good english. We tried to email before we went but did not get a reply. Since then though they have changed their web site so they may be better at picking up their emails.

Regards

Anne-Marie
Hia Anne Marie

Thanks for the useful info on your holiday - I go in June and can not wait!

As per upgrading wristbands/rooms - our paperwork says we are in a 'superior room' - is this the same as a suite or not? Also what colour wristband does this give you?

We do want to upgrade our wristbands and room if possible to a suite - can we do this when we get there? How does it work, do you request it upon arrival and they put you in a suite with a green wristband?

Any info would be most grateful.

Also, do you all take currency with you? We were thinking of taking a little for tips and also if we go to eat/drink in Sharma town, but have no idea of prices and hpow much we should take!

Thanks for you help and great to hear you enjoyed it so much!

JillE
JillyE,
We have booked through first choice and have booked a family room which I believe entitles us to a green wrist band etc. Our paperwork also says Superior Room. Did you book a family room? When we booked first choice did not mention the different wrist bands or the possibility of upgrading, so it is just luck that we seem to be entitled without having specifically asked for it.
Hi dsj37

We also booked through first choice - we didnt ask for a family room as there are only 2 of us, but i dont know what they have automatically booked us. Are there just double rooms that will be categorised as superior rooms?

I dont think a family room automatically gets a wristband upgrade does it- i thought it was the suites that gave this?

I am so confused about it! lol. Does anyone know what a superior room is - is it a suite and does it give a green wristband?

First choice didnt give us the offer of upgrading either, so lucky i found this site!
Hi Jillye

When in June are you travelling we are going on 23rd a party of 7 of us maybe we'll be there at the same time??

Marg
JillyE

There was a previous posting, on page 12, about the wrist bands etc and it would seem that the family room is classed as a suite and does get the upgrade. First Choice didn't mention to us that there were even different categories of wrist band, I guess that we will just have to wait and see what is there when we get there.
I hope you have a great holiday.

dsj37
Hi Jillye,

As Marg says, when in June are you going as we are off on May 30th for 2 weeks.
We booked a suite with Tesco and it cost an extra £200 for the two weeks. We thought it was worth it for the extra space as we need a cot in the room, plus bed for our daughter.

l still haven't heard anything back from the hotel yet about taxis, has anyone else ever had a reply?

can't wait to get there now.

Nicky
Dear all

Currently at the Grand Azure, it is all the other coresspondence have said it is.

The staff work tirelessly to make the place spotless, have eaten more than I normally eat, but since we are in block four (sea view which I asked for !!) we have a "bit of a walk to the restaurant and main reception" so the exercise is good for us.

Men off diviing today, have sat on the beach watching tiny fish in six inches of water - absolutely brilliant.

The jetty is being repaired but everyone is still using it - its like a fair ground ride but perfectly safe.

Food ample and hot

No compalints - any questions please ask.

LOVE TO ALL YOU BODS STILL IN UK its in the high 90s here ........... was 100 yesterday ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Mumincharge - KAREN
Dear Mum in Charge,

Lucky you, i am so jealous. Wish I was there now.
How much is the internet?

Don't suppose you could ask the hotel if they do airport transfers as I have been trying to getin touch with them but to no avail.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Nicola
Hi

I have just this minute received a reply from the hotel and they do not have an airport transfer service, so it looks like we shall have to get a taxi at the airport now.

Hope it will not be too scarry!

Cheers

Nicola
Hi just me again.

Been waiting weeks for a reply from the hotel and now I have had another reply saying that a birthday cake has been ordered for my daughters 5th.

Can anyone tell me what the kettle is like in the rooms? Is it like a British one? I just ask as I will need to boil water for my babies feeds and was wodering if I should take our travel kettle instead?

Thanks

Nicky
I have had a reply from Ehab in reservations today.

I was confused on what the Junior Suite actually looked like and he confirmed that the pictures on the following website was of the junior suite and the honeymoon suite (of which they have 2).

Looks lovely and I now cant wait until May! :D

[/img]
Hi TJ50

Ehab is who wrote to me too. We too are in the suite.

When in May are you going?

can't wait either, although read one really bad report today. can't remember the where though something like holiday watchdog or holidaysexposed.

regards

Nicky
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.