Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Hi everyone,
Just read another review on holidays uncovered, i am getting a little bit worried now. I agree that it is the start of season, but you would like to think that would be organized.I am not a fussy eater, but the food sounds horrendous. I also have paid alot for this holiday and don't want it to be ruined. i agree that if they have alot of people complaining then they will have to do something. Has anyone got any positive feedback, we go on the 17th July for 2 weeks. : :(
I have just looked on the other site and a couple of others i have only found 1 review which slated the food [by the wording i suspect the same person has submitted the same report to all] some sites invite bad reviews by nature of their title others are more open [although several are now owned by companies involved in the travel industry]
taken on balance i would read the reviews in a positive light

wizard
Hi Clare I asked my Son if he was cute and he said yes lol God hes so modest! Your daughter will know who he is he will be 11 on the 5th August and I think you will still be there then and we will be trying to arrange a cake etc and let the kids reps know it is his birthday!

Hubby has said he will get the cases down for me this weekend although God knows where I will put them although I have enough to fill them I have been shopping for weeks lol

It is interesting what the moderator said about the reviews etc. At the end of the day im sure it will be absolutely fine and if it is not and we kick up a stink they will have to do something about it!

I dont think they will have tv's in the headrests im afraid. Have you seen those water magic pens that you can get on ebay with all the Nick Jnr characters - like a colouring book, that may be a good idea to keep them quiet for a little while!

Speak to you again tomorrow - we will know each other very well by the time we meet lol

Redcrop x
Hi Donna I have read reviews on the food and to tell you the truth as long as you are not expecting gourmet cuisine I think it will be fine.

If its not I think there are a few bars outside etc.

I just think it may become a little repetitive by the end of the second week but then that happens at home lol

Im sure we will all be fine. I think you are leaving the day we fly out so wont get to see you - I really hope you have a great time.

Redcrop x
There is a bank machne in the town about 15 mins walk.
Do not worry about the food there is always something you like,my daughter is a fussy eater and she never went hungry,for kids theres pizza,hotdogs,chips etc. nearly all the time.And for the adults the food is quite nice but like I said in an earlier post do not put a bit of everthing on your plate or you will sicken yourself 8)
Hi

We are going to the hotel in August 2008.

Received a call from first choice saying that they had received an allocation of late check out rooms. Each room can be held to a minimum of 6pm for a cost of £42 per room. There are 2 families going and we are on a flight home in the middle of the night.

Has anyone used the late check out facility and is it possible to book in the resort at a cheaper cost than what first choice are quoting.

Thanks in advance :)
Hi

Katheia

We always book our room the day before we leave as it works out a few pounds cheaper.We are going to the petra mare 3rd july for 2 weeks ,we will not need to book rooms as we have fantastic flights out and back .We will just get breakfast then off to the airport.
Thanks everyone for the comments. A holiday is what you make it and we will ensure we have a great time. I have also booked a late check out room, but when i booked with Eclipse i am sure it was later than 6 oclock. i will check on the website.
Thanks Redcrop, i think that we cross over on the same day, i am there the same time as Beth.
I seem to be behind in the shopping stakes so i better get a move on.
Donna :D
Hi Redcrop
Shopped all day yesterday the usual weekly shop and yes some holiday shopping!! why is it you go on holiday every year but always end up buying a new bikini!! Couldn't find those pens on ebay that you recomened but got boys loads of colouring stuff so hopefuly that will keep em quiet for abit.
Its a shame but our girl will miss out on your son's birthday,we leave the early hours of the 4th :( .They will only have 3 or 4 days together, so wish we were there for 2 weeks.
Wanted to ask you is your husband into golf by anychance? Mine is and his looking for a golfing partner, his gonna go off for the day to the golf course in Hersonissos, me i'll be staying by the pool relaxing 8) !
Hi Clare,

I just thought I would let you know that my name is Lorraine - dont want you walking round the pool area shouting for Redcrop lol

Unfortunately my hubby is not into golf - he said he has only played it once and gave up after 9 holes after losing too many balls and that was only pitch and putt lol so sorry about that we will have to be drinking partners instead lol

I have bought a new bikini too lol in fact I feel like I have bought far too much but hey you can never have enough summer stuff!

What day do you fly then? We go 7 weeks Tuesday and counting!

Redcrop x
Hi ya Lorraine,

We fly out friday 27th july and i've just remembered its a night flight so hopefuly the kids will sleep most of the journey!!! i don't think we'll get to the hotel till about 5 am on the saturday, we'll probably end up wasting that whole day sleeping.
Don't suppose you'd know how much it is to go to Chrissie island? and how long it takes to get there? i have heard its got a lovely sandy beach and clear water, sounds worth a visit.
It will be nice to have a drinking partner as my husband doesn't drink, although i told him his got to drink abit to get our money's worth, mind you i drink enough for the pair of us!!! :lol:
speak to you again soon
Hi Clare,

Yes were on a night flight too and ive worked out that we will get there about the same time as you - however I very much doubt that we will spend the next day sleeping lol - I get too excited and will unpack whilst everyone else sleeps and then just have an early night that night!

I like a drink as does hubby but dont like hangovers and with a little one I cant remember the last time I had a good drink lol

I have no idea how much Chrissie Island will cost - I think its about 20-25 mins away by boat - we definitely want to do that trip.

My main concern about this holiday lol is the sunbeds - we never usually make breakfast but with a little one I think we will be this year but I bet we still have trouble finding a sunbed! Last time we went on a holiday like this and luckily friends we made saved us one or we bought a lilo and just used that! I wont let the kids leave the room until their creamed as you never know when you might see them again lol so it used to take us till about 11.30 to get out the room! We arrived at the hotel at about 5am a bit like this time and people were putting their towels on the beds then lol

Oh well thats enough of me rambling!

Speak soon

Lorraine x
hi, noticed you were wondering about the chrissi island trip, we found it to be a bit of a rip off! we booked it with first choice and i think it cost us about 60 pound for 2 adults 3 kids, we had to walk to the harbour - about 20 minutes - and then board the boat with everyone else who had booked in the town for a cheaper price, (we only booked with first choice because one of our party had problems walking and was hoping for a coach to the harbour) the trip took about a further 20 mins on the boat and then on the island there was a cafe and nothing else the best beach was at the other side of the island another 15 min walk (and a further walk back to the cafe for the toilets) and when you got there they charged you extra for sunbeds. basically you ar picked up about 3-4 hours later and that's it. All in all i don't think we'd bother again - we return to the petra mare in september - the sea was a beautiful colour but the sea bed very rocky and the sand dunes promised were not that impressive as they had scrub land all around them and not a patch on the dunes in say fuerteventura or gran canaria. with regards to the petra mare though we thought i was a great hotel and that is why we are returing so i wouldn't worry about the place, there were people complaining when we were there last year - moaning about the food which was fine and plentiful, the sea water pools, again not a problem to us and the entertainment - you have 3 bars to choose from all very different so surely you can find something to suit! in my opinion it's the old story - a holiday is what you make it! Enjoy!
Hi Kleptouk,

Thank you for that that is very reassuring and maybe we will think twice about the island. We knew they charged you for sunbeds and obviously if they can make money out of you they will!

Where in town would you be able to book for excursions? Is it far? I would worry that it was not kosher because its not First Choice but maybe its the other way round lol

7 weeks tomorrow and counting lol

Redcrop x
there are a couple of kiosks selling tickets near the souvenir shops on the way to the harbour and also the main ticket office at the harbour, they tend to charge slightly less and will do deals for families such as you might get one child free, the tickets are exactly the same as the ones you get from first choice so i wouldn't worry about them being kosher especially as the kiosks are manned all day and much of the night so you could always go back if you have any complaints. whilst in turkey a couple of years ago we booked an excursion from the town and saved about 40 pound on first choice prices the only difference was we had to walk to the hotel gates to be picked up (about 2 mins away) instead of the hotel doors so quite a big saving! as i said earlier we would have booked independantly but we were under the impression that First Choice would provide a coach to the harbour but as it turned out we had to walk anyway so could have saved ourselves some money - i sound so tight!!!!!
We were persuaded to try one of these out last year when we went to Rhodes. We found that quite a few of the ATM machines would not accept it and eventually had to rely heavily on our credit card. The result is that we have a travelx card that is still loaded up with loads of Euros and we intend to take it this year with us to Lerapetra (were arriving on 17th July for two weeks), so it would put our minds at rest if we know if there is an ATM in the vicinity (if not at the hotel). Does anyone have this info?
Hi Lorraine

Soz for no reply for a couple of days the p c has been playing me up and kept throwing me off! :x never mind back now.Thank you to Kleptouk for the information on Chrissie island it doesn't sound quite as appealing now.
How's your holiday shopping going? i've just got to get suncreams,i'm half packed already my hubby thinks i'm so strange to start packing when we've got 6 weeks to go!!!Why don't men get as excited about going on holiday as we do?!!!
I know the sunbed thing is gonna be an issue but i ain't getting up at 5 in the morning to reserve em not when i,m up early everyday at home i shall do what you did and buy us all lilo's!!!!
6 weeks today till we go,hope the weeks go fast!!!!
speak to ya soon
Hi Andy.

Sounds like you and I are going to be in the same boat at the same time. Both arrive on 17th and both with travelX cards. I will be fuming if no where excepts them as the travel agent really blagged us into taking one instead of the usual save bet travellers cheques.
I think I might do a bit of research and maybe try emailing the hotel. she also told me you can use them like a debit card in the hotel and restaurants to pay for food etc. Like I say I think I need to check before we get there.
Oh yeah 'jeffice'has told me that there is an ATM 15 minutes walk from the hotel. So do all ATM machines recognise this card?
24th july..looking forward to a break with my girlfriend and my two boys...

we will have the blackburn towels :P
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.