Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Looks as if Glynis has been lucky with the weather;just checked the webcams and it's glorious sunshine again. :sun
Oh dear, she'll need to drink lots of sagres to keep cool..... :rofl
Pat
:glynis
Am back folks - got in this morning around 12.30am.

We had a brilliant time - a really good laugh. Weather was lovely, clear blue skies everyday although the wind was chilly.

We set off to walk to Villamoura (I know don't laugh) and we got as far as Olhos d'Agua and then got lost. Those Portugese road signs are mental :lol: We ended up cutting across some barren land and ended up in a new developement (we thought 'yippee civilization') as we entered the large developement there was no-one there!! It was as though we were in the twilight zone. :lol:

We eventually ended up (some 4 hours after setting off) at Olhos d'Agua (via the scenic route :lol: ) Had some lunch and got a taxi back to the Old town. :D

Went to the Atrium for a meal that night and nearly got ripped off :cry: We had 4 beers and 2 sirloin steaks. The bill arrived and it was for €51 :yikes when we checked and discussed it with the waiter, we'd been charged for 7 beers and the pate etc. He amended the bill by €13. Nice meal and surroundings, shame about the bill.

Flights were fine and we had a great laugh. Met a lovely lady at the hotel who stays there every year for 4 months from Dec to April. She knew all the hotels goings on and kept us up to date on what was happening :lol:
We had 4 beers and 2 sirloin steaks

....... no veg ?? :rofl
Welcome back-glad you enjoyed it-the weather has looked great on the webcams;think you have lost the 'storm trooper' tag once and for all now !! :)
Certainly hope so Sagres :lol: Roll on June.

My friend really liked the Algarve as well - it was her first visit.

One old lady at our hotel goes there for 4 months Dec-April every year. She knew all the hotel gossip and liked her brandy and lemonades. :wink:
Welcome home, Glynis! Glad to hear you enjoyed yourselves and the weather was good. We're off out there for a few days next Monday and the forecast is not looking great - raining on Monday and overcast on Tuesday!

I have just one question for you. How on earth can you sit there and not eat the pate, cheese, olives and bread etc? A beer's too wet without one!

Good job you checked the bill carefully. Not too much of a problem after 2 beers each, but if you'd followed some people's example on this forum (mentioning no names but follow the direction of my eyes :roll: ) you'd have been far too mellow after a bottle or two of Monte Velho to care!
Fingers crossed for you Roseweb for next week :D

My husband adores the pate, had he been with us believe me it would have gone. :lol:
Glad you enjoyed your trip, Glynis.
I like Olhos d'agua, it's one of my favourite places on the western side.
We are off to Cabanas in 9 weeks time........not that I'm counting or anything :fly
I'm sure the weather will be great by then 24th May-7th June.
When are you going in June and is it to Lagos?
When do you go as well, Sagres?
Pat
Thanks Pat.

We go think it's the 24th June to Lagos for 2 weeks. :pele
Forgot to say earlier - our flight with Jet2 was brilliant. We had a tail wind (it was Monday the day of the bad weather here) so we got a good shove and landed in Faro 3/4 of an hour early at 6pm instead of 6.45 :D We also travelled there and back with the Sheffield United football team who were going over there for a few days training. Some were sat behind us and Chris Lucketti was sat next to my friend. Not interested in football so didn't have a clue who they were until the lads infront started asking for autographs :lol:

We had a laugh with them and later saw them in a pub so we sent our autographs over on a beer mat for them to add to their collection :rofl
Wish I'd been there, I'm a Sheffield United supporter. I hope you enjoyed Olhos d Agua. We love it there. If you ever go again let me know and I'll recommend some good restaurants. :)
We're over again on the 1st May. :)
We only really saw the restaurant on the beach Mick where we had something to eat and a well earned drink. :lol: Nice restaurant we sat near the rock with the crashing waves - you go through the restaurant and out onto the little terrace.

How far is Olhos d'Agua from Albufeira old town would you say? Mind you we need to add some on for our 'detour' as well :rofl
Welcome back Glynis so glad you had a great time. Sounds like you got lucky with the weather, what hotel did you stay in?

I would be saying roll on the 16th July if i wasn't having a quick week in Egypt first, but I'm sure I will be saying it soon.

You have now got my hopes up and I am wishing for Christiano Ronaldo to be on my Easyjet flight, but somehow, well I just dont think so. :rofl

Doe :D
Thanks doepsmc :D

We stayed in the Sol e Mar Click Here for my review.
:wave
Glynis I would say Olhos d Agua is about 4 or 5 miles from the Old Town. My wife walked from Olhos to the Chinese Roundabout which is a stones throw from the Strip and it took her 45 mins.
Hi Mick, we will miss you again we are not out there till the 18th May to 27th May. Bernard is out there now at the house painting again & hanging new curtains, he should have been called Van Gough Hahaha. Cheers Jayjan
Only 4/5 miles :yikes that must be one hell of a detour we took :sulk
Funnily enough, on our way home after our meal, we walked onto the main road to pick up a taxi. Once in the taxi we couldn't believe it when we soon passed this little bar/cafe that we'd stopped in to ask directions on the way there. (little place with orange seating outside). We'd passed there hours earlier and it was the barman and this English couple who told us it was about 6k to Villamoura.

All in all we walked for about 4 hours :yikes ............. :rofl
Some people will use any old excuse to go for a drink....... :rofl
Pat
:lol: Pat honest we had a coke :lol: Also the orange seats seemed to attact the wasps so I spent the whole time standing up so I could 'escape' asap :rofl
Yeah.......right, Glynis........just like I never touch the tinto........ :rofl
Me and hubby walked it several times from the strip to Olhos and back and if you go by the main road it does only take about 40 -45 mins. If you had carried along that main road after Olhos you would have seen the signs for Vilamoura. Mind you by that time, your holiday would have been over...... :rofl
Pat
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.