Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Sagres, Thanks for the warning - what's over there when you get there?

Mad Mick, Floyds Bar is a good idea. It's a shame Lagos and Cabanas are in opposite directions. Let's have another think about it next August when we know who's going to be where. :hmmm
I agree, a year is a long time and a lot can happen.
Looking forward to it already. :)
Hi roseweb,
Ilha da Tavira is actually a sandbar.It's a gorgeous beach on which there are a couple of bars/restaurants(almost exclusively seafood) and a large,well-maintained campsite.The only access is by ferryboat - details can be found at:-http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=54178&highlight=christmas+tavira.

As regards next year's possible meet-up,I'm afraid we can't commit to anything at this early stage.This year I found a photo of a beautiful beach near Aljezur which I forwarded to our Portuguese friends asking whether we could get to it by public transport.When we got to Lagos they took us to the beach where we had an unbelievable day.This winter,we are told,they are going to spend time searching out similar "hidden" beaches to take us to next year(aren't Portuguese people the kindest and most friendly you have ever met?),so we won't know what our itinerary is until we get there.If Mick reads this and is going to try to organise something again,please keep me informed as we'd like to be part of it if at all possible.
I agree, Sagres, the Portuguese are definitely the most friendly people on earth........ the friends we made have had us to their house for dinner a few times and also driven us around places that we would never have gotten to.
You daren't take wine or beers etc to their house as they get offended and trying to pay them back by taking them out for dinner is a nightmare!!!!!
Totally unconditional friendship........and only seeing them a couple of times a year.........I can't praise them enough.....they would do anything for you.
Mind you, I think that speaking their language opens a lot of doors........
Can't wait till May but before that, we have 8 weeks from the middle of December to mid Feb to visit our son (who lives and works in Qatar), then we all travel to Thailand (where he and girlfriend have bought a house) to do some sightseeing and to their wedding!!!!!!!!
We have never been so far away before and we are really looking forward to it!!!!!
It will be so different from Christmas and New Year in the Algarve. Son says temps never fall much below 30 at that time of the year :sun

Pat
:glynis
Hi Sagres
Have just been reading in the Resident that they are building a retirement complex by the marina in Lagos just wondered if you had put your name done for one of the penthouse apartments?!!!!!!!
I have read about that myself,but can't, for the life of me,imagine where they're going to put it.Planning permission has been granted for the old canning factory next to the hotel Marina Sao Roque,(any development,they have promised, will retain the historic and architectural character of the building,and,of course,we all believe that,don't we ?? :rofl) but I wouldn't have thought that the site was anything like big enough for what they said the new retirement complex was going to be like.
Anyway Lagos is becoming rapidly overdeveloped and is not the place where I would care to have a long-term financial commitment any longer,but thanks for thinking of me !! :)
Pat42,

you can always look up some of the Sino Portuguese architecture in Phuket if you go that way and are missing the Algarve when in Thailand. The weather should be glorious when you're going.
Sunbear,
Geography is not my strong point but don't think we will be near Phuket.
We have to go to Chiang Mai and their house is somewhere near there.Then I believe they will take us to different places near there, so not too sure where we'll be going!!!!
Looking forward to the sun and the cheap prices, not to mention the "designer"wear at cheap prices!!!!
Pat
Pat42,
Oh Chaing-Mai up north...some lovely countryside and places to visit around there...don't recall too much sino portuguese architecture, though I gather the Chinese restaurant in The Mandarin Oriental hotel is based on Sino Portuguese architecture...save you a trip to Phuket :)
jayjan,
I've lost track of where you are at the moment - over here or over there - but,if you're over there, you'll see this when you get back:-
I noticed today,by accident,that Jet2 have introduced an on-line check-in facility for flights from Manchester.It's no bloody use at all to me as I've booked next years flights with Thomsonfly,but I thought you may be interested.If we both make it to the 2007 Algarve meet-up,that's another caneca you owe me !! :lol:
Hi Sagres & the gang, I'm back from Albufeira. The weather was warm but rained for 5 days out of 8, and according to my hubby tonight on the phone he says its not stopped raining since I left on Saturday at 18.30, in fact he said lots of the roads have been flooded. Hopefully by the time I go again end of January it will have dispersed.

Sagres when did Jet2 start the online check in service?, will it save queue-ing and would you be able to walk straight through to passport control/ security as I have never experienced online check in service.

Regards the meet ups for next year we havnt actually booked anything after January 2007 as we are not sure at the moment when we can take holidays due to family commitments, but hopefully with a bit of luck we can one day all meet up and have a good chin-wag and plenty vinho & of course the caneca I owe Sagres. Cheers Jayjan
Hi,jayjan,welcome home.
I've just taken the time to read Jet 2's online check-in page properly.The service is only available on two domestic routes Manchester to Gatwick being one of them.Sorry to have raised your hopes.
It was never going to have been any use to us as Mrs S. takes the view that,if it says 18kg. on the ticket,then 18kg. we're going to take, whether we need it or not !! :lol: Ijust thought that,with having a place out there,you just might get away with travelling light from time to time.
I promise to try and read things properly before opening my big keyboard in future. :)
Hi Sagres, I never travel light i'm like your wife I take the maximum possible. My hubby always travels light as he has loads of clothes which he leaves at the house but I only tend to leave toiletries,slippers & trainers. As you know a woman is always changing her mind on clothes she is taking when packing the suitcase especially when she has done a bit of retail therapy for the occasion.

Re Jet2: I received an email with special offers on flights the other day, free outward flight just pay the taxes on flights for November to January booked before 3rd November. I could have kicked myself as we have already booked flights for end of January. When I looked (I wish I hadnt done)the flights for the same dates were half the price we have paid. Darnt tell him indoors as he will say "See I told you we should have waited but you wanted to book" so mums the word hehehe.

Since i left on the 21st October it has rained near enough constantly with thunder & lightening bringing trees down, in fact the GNR closed The Strip off one night so the Fire Brigade could cut the fallen trees down. The weather from last Friday has been overcast but the rain has stopped but more is forecast for the end of this week. Him indoors is still out there trying to do some external painting & tiling but aint having much success dodging the bad weather. Aint this forum/topic gone very quiet at the moment has everyone gone into hibernation for the winter. Cheers Jayjan
Hi jayjan,
I was beginning to think that I was the only one who had remembered their password and could log on - it's been really quiet.
I've been keeping an eye on the webcams and the weather has been terrible.Our friends say that they can't remember so many consecutive wet days ever before.They say that Lagos has gone really quiet - even the locals are not out and about - so they (our friends)are going to close their bar for a couple of weeks and are heading over to Morocco for a holiday.
We are toying with the idea of popping over to Lagos in December for a week,but are holding fire on that one until the weather looks as if it's going to settle;we don't expect blazing sunshine (although wouldn't complain if we got it !) but dry would be nice !! :)
We have closed for a couple of weeks too, although the weather had improved for a couple of days, it's overcast again now :cry:

Still, it never rains in the pub... :glynis
Hi All,
I think it is quiet because most people have had their hols by now and might not be returning till spring or later. Therefore there is not so much interest in the area.
I know I won't start getting excited about going back in May until after the New Year..........maybe because I will be in Thailand for the first time (going for 8 weeks!!!!!! ) :hyper So I will be getting excited about that first of all very soon as we go mid December.

I'm sure it will be nice and sunny there. :sun

Pat
We'll be out there in the first week of December, Sagres. Same time last year we had a week of wall-to-wall sunshine. I'm sure it'll be the same this year. :sun
We had been thinking of going out round about the 2nd. for a week,but,the more we think about it,the more we fancy the idea of coming back just before Christmas - watch this space !! :)
So Mrs. Sagres isn't having to entertain this year then?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.