Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
There are no restrictions with clothing either on, or off the boat.

Just be sensible about where you are - it's mainly a muslim country and of course they are not used to seeing women wandering around scantily dressed.

So don't wander round during your sightseeing tours or the shopping streets wearing skimpy shorts and a bikini top! However, sensible shorts (they can be above the knee with no worries) and maybe a vest top is perfectly acceptable. Just don't flash loads of cleavage and you will have no problems.

The only time you need to cover up will be if you visit one of the mosques, in which case you will need to cover your shoulders and legs.

Regards
Cyprus100
Hi Cyprus,
Thanks for that. Can I ask a couple more things. Can you give me an idea as to how large/ swimmable the pools are on the cruise boats. Its just that if they are only knee high hubby and our big kids wont be able to have a good swim and the brochures dont really give much info on depth of pool. Can you recommend any boats with large enough pools. Iam not expecting a cruise ship size. If not we are considering Luxor as a base to explore in the morning and relax at the hotel pool in the afternoon, and I wondered is it easy to do DIY trips to aswan and abu simbel and how long would it take to get there and back. I myself like sightseeing coupled with a relaxing place to stay. I imagine Luxor is hectic and noisy are the hotels situated in quieter areas or not?
Thanks again
Sj
Hi SJ,

This was our first Nile Cruise but we also did a day trip to Dendera a few years ago. And - when the ships are all moored up together, it is possible to have a look at them as you go through to your own.

From my experience, I doubt that you will get much more than 3 or 4 strokes to swim the length of a pool on board ship. They are really there for you to relax and cool down in so more of a splash pool than an actual swimming pool. Ours was up to about rib height (I am 5'7").

If you want to do a full swim then I would suggest maybe you book an individual itinerary so that you can combine a hotel based holiday with a 3 or 4 night cruise instead of trying to do just the cruise.

You can easily pick up flights from UK to Luxor and the resort is at maximum 20 minutes from the airport.

I can recommend a couple of places to find accommodation, transfers and to prebook a cruise, if that's what you decide to do.

You can easily get to Aswan from Luxor either by road or by train but either way, it will take time out of your holiday and you away from your hotel so it's probably best to book flights (you can still get charter flights from the likes of Thomson, First Choice & Airtours etc) for less than £200pp. You may also want to check on Egyptair's own website to see if they have some offers for UK flights.

I would suggest you find a flight, then spend either 1 or 2 nights in Luxor to start with, take a 3 or 4 night cruise to Aswan then return either by train or road to Luxor. Take the time out to relax for another 2 or 3 nights in Luxor to chill out before flying back home.

Regards
Cyprus100
Hi Cyprus,
Thanks thats great info, the later sounds a really good idea. We only have 7-10 nights so that sounds quite possible. Are the hotels ok with being booked only for a few nights either side of a cruise or do you have to book in for the whole time? If you can give me any names/recommendations I would appreciate it. We are looking to go out on a Weds either 7th July or 1st Aug. I know the 7nt cruises go on mondays and weds but not sure if they leave on other days for different durations.
Thanks for your help
Sj
Hi again SJ

If you arrange your itinerary, you can do whatever you want :)

We just did flights from Cyprus to Aswan via Cairo. 4 nights in Isis Cornishe, Aswan (which incidentally, I cannot find listed on this forum to write a review). Then we took a 3 night cruise down to Luxor, disembarking on Monday 21 May with 2 nights in Sonesta St George, Luxor. We checked out on Wed 23 May (paid extra to keep the room till 8pm) and then travelled by Abela sleeper train Cairo, arriving 08.30 next morning where we checked into a hotel to leave our luggage, shower & change for our last few hours in Cairo.

We paid $25 per person per night for the Aswan hotel and $35 per person per night for the Sonesta St George (highly recommended).

We used an agent in Cairo, who pre-booked our train compartment (difficult to book in advance without being there as you get charged extra to send out tickets) and our hotels. We paid 25% deposit in advance then paid the balance after we arrived in Aswan.

If you need me to send you the agent details, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I also use HotelClub.net for accommodation only reservation and used that same part of their website to arrange our transfer to the Aswan hotel (cost was Eur 18 for a minibus transfer) as our arrival into Aswan was at 00.25hrs and we didn't really fancy haggling taxi prices at that time of night :)

Enjoy!

Regards
Cyprus100
Hi agan Cyprus,
Have been checking out flights and hotel. Looking at Sonesta St George as this seems to have a lot of recommendations. Is it very noisy though being right in the centre- can you hear a lot of traffic going past? Trying to find 3 night cruise- but only found presidential and need to email for price. Do you know of any others? We are now thinking of doing 3nts cruise and 4nights in Luxor or 3nt cruise, 2nts Luxor and then 4 nights Red Sea. Not so daunted by heat now, could do with some at the moment, but will need pool to cool off in and time to relax. many thanks
Sj
Hi SJ

We paid $60 pp per night for the Presidential Nile cruise (price includes all meals and excursions - only extra to pay is for drinks) and I booked it through a gentleman called Mr Sherif at http://www.memphistours.com

A very helpful guy, great website and they also have a live chat button so you can ask questions and get the reply directly.

He also arranged the Sonesta St George for us at $35 pp per night.

We paid 25% deposit by credit card and the balance on arrival at our hotel.

We experienced no noise at the Sonesta, even though it is on the main street - none of the rooms overlook the road and when lying out by the pool during the day, there is no external noise to be heard. We would definitely stay there again.

Good luck & enjoy your stay!

We went to Hurghada from Luxor by road on one of the first holidays we had in Luxor. We booked the trip locally and paid about £25 each for an overnight in hotel and a snorkelling trip out to Gifton Island.

Red Sea is fabulous but I cannot class it as being the "real" Egypt (then, I am biased - I love Luxor & Aswan). It's nice to combine the two resorts though, to see the contrast between ancient and modern :)

Regards
Cyprus100
Thanks for all your help.
Will check it out and let you know later what happens!!!!
Regards
Sj
Me again!

Just to let you know Cyprus we have finally decided to book 1 week staying at the Sonesta in Luxor! Will no doubt do nile cruise another time. We have to book transfers - any recommendations- do we go through hotel or just pick up a taxi at airport? Also visas- do we just get them in arrivals? Really looking forward to going now on 4th July. Oh and Egyptian pounds - Should we get them before going or is exchange rate better there? where is it easiest to change them into smaller currency- is hotel ok for this? Hope its alright to ask in this forum! Thanks sj
Hi SJ

I think there are other places to ask this type of question..... but I'm sure the post will get moved if necessary.

You could get some LE Egyptian pounds before you arrive and you will need to buy your visa on arrival at the airport. We paid in LE (90 - when we arrived, which is a bit cheaper than paying in Gbp I think). But you can readily change currencies in the hotels.

As for a transfer - you can probably pick up a taxi at the airport. But there is a lady called Iberis on this forum who may be able to give you the correct price to pay. Or, you can book a private transfer with HotelClub.net for 20 Euro (for 2 people) in advance. That's around £13 Gbp just now. Just go to the home page then look across the top in the red bit for Transfers. This is who we used in Aswan and they were waiting in the airport for us.

Have a great time!

Cheers
Cyprus100
hi, i am going on a nile cruise in two weeks i was wondering what kind of plug sockets are fitted in the cabins so i know which adapters to buy, any help would be appreciated if all boats have the same sockets?
hi, i was just wondering what kind of plug sockets are onboard in the cabins, and also when the nile cruise boats are docked for the night, do you have to stay on board the ship or can you wonder in to the nearby town?
thanks for any reply

sarah :P
hi i cannot remember i think the sockets are standard 2 pin ???

yess when the boat is docked you are free to come and go as you please but most boats usually travel at night around 8ish...
Hi everyone. Booked to go on a Nile Cruise for a week and then out to Makadi on the Red Sea for a week. Has anyone been with this companies Cruise in the past. Going with the Mrs in mid September and we are really starting to look forward to it now but would like some more 'hands on' info on the cruise side of things about the boat, trips etc.
:D
Do you know the name of the actual boat or cruise company :?:
I have had a further look and this link will give you a bit more info -

http://www.budgettravel.ie/bt/egypt/nile_cruises/the_nile/21/

As Budget Travel is a TUI company you may well be on one of the same boats as other Thomsons (TUI) customers.
Presidential Nile Cruises are the company used by TUI so you may get more info on their website -

http://www.pnccruises.com/

Hope this helps a bit
Graham
Hi Sarah,

Yes, the boats use the same plug sockets as you will find in an Egyptian hotel. Its a two pin and the adaptors are available from lots of places. Boots do a set of worldwide adaptors and one of them works.

Of course you are allowed off the boat to explore when it is moored up. Quite often there is an overnight stop when you have a temple visit early the next morning. On various cruises we have had overnighters in Aswan, Luxor and Esna with plenty of time to explore. Just beware of the guy who approaches you when you leave the boat and says he works in the kitchen on your boat and will be happy to show you all the good shops! Most of them will be owned by his relatives or conspirators! :lol:
Hi Williamstephen :)

We travelled to Egypt with Budget Travel Ireland last July for a Nile cruise and stay in the Red Sea and would highly recommend it to anyone! in fact i wish i was going back again!!
I must say we were a little dubious about going with Budget cos they were so cheap, £640 for 4 night FB cruise, 7 nights 4*AI in Makadi Marine in the Red sea and then 3 nights 5*B&B in Luxor. We needent have worried, the whole holiday was total luxury and 100% enjoyable.

We stayed on The Crown Prince but I think they use other travcotels boats, they have info on all the boats on the website
http://www.travcotels.com/

I have posted a review for the cruise in the nile cruise reviews
section and also reviews for the Sol Y Mar Makadi Marine and Le Meridien Luxor. They will give you an idea of what a fantastic holiday we had with Budget.
Anything else you want to know just ask and I will try to help

Hope this helps and hope you enjoy your hols
Leanna
Hi Graham & Leanna
Thanks for your help. We are doing exactly what you did last year Leanna and will be staying in the Makadi Marine after what appears to be a very busy time on the cruise. We are hoping that we will have a fairly relaxing time in Makadi.
All the Best

Stephen
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.