:rofl and according to my app, the word for sister can also mean gay !... :que
ye was confused too...couldnt figure out why 11 was different....tweetie
how do I say "my granddaughter" "our granddaughters" ? :que

efkaristo poly
I me ee egoni' XXXXXXnameXXX.... this is my granddaughter [name]

i me ee thikos mas egoni xxx name xxx ... this is our granddaughter [name]
thanks for that....

trying to pick up on things (I THINK) I've already learnt

could I just say "egoni mou" ? like you say someones name "Andreas mou" to mean my Andreas?... or have I overscrambled my head again ?

ps "egoni" does that sound like sigourney weaver with the S missing ?
that's a bit like speaking pidgin English but it would be understood and as you know the attempt is usually appreciate as the Brits are renowned for being lazy and not learning other languages

just remember granddaughter is female so more appropriator would be ee egoni moo and on pronunciation yes its the short i as in sigorni
Ah, 55 - the number stays long with us as someone used to pronounce as "bendy, bendy" (five, five) rather than fifty five. :)

All good stuff!
Have fun with it, it's the best way to learn.
oh boy ....thanks...

I have to ask now you've made me think about it again...

the word for yes.. so far I've heard it as

okay (almost exactly)
okee
oh hay
o hay
o hee
o kh ay

and probably a few others...

same with thankyou

eff a risto
eff karisto
eff khariso
eff a rist O

etc

and

the number 5 as

pen day
bendy
bente
pendi

etc

in fact on my app the woman seems to say a lot of things with a T in it and he repeats with a D.. and she says things with a P and he seems to sound a B....

who do I go for ?...

each app/page/site/mp3/video says the same words differently... (know accents in the UK make words sound different ).. just how far different can things be before its a different word... can I use P or B and still be understood ?.. T and D ?... etc
:banghead:
just thought of another thing they mentioned.. sas parakalo , being the more polite version of please... but If I'm right "sas" is to someone you don't know (like ya-sas) so if you are being polite to someone you consider a friend then would it be sou parakalo ? (like ya-sou) ?

effkaristo poly

Steve
okay (almost exactly)
okee
oh hay
o hay
o hee
o kh ay

and probably a few others...

same with thankyou

eff a risto
eff karisto
eff khariso
eff a rist O

ef haristo

etc

and

the number 5 as

pen day
bendy
bente
pendi

etc

the pronunciation i use is in bold, sorry dont know of the apps you talk of [i have trouble with t-mobile and have not been able to use my samsung on line yet.

i would just use Parakalo

Steve, dont try to complicate matters too much you will make it more difficult for yourself to learn , your not trying to be an interpreter just understood and polite
efharisto Wizzard :cheers

My goal (as unrealisitic as it is) is to become fairly fluent (I've wanted to learn another language since leaving school, but I find languages really hard to pick up) so the more I think, ask, talk about it.. the more chance I have of some of it sinking in... :think

Steve
its happened again... another thought has just popped up... is there any noticible difference between "accents" or actual vocabulary from Pafos end to Protaras end of the Island ? :que

and are there any common used words/phrases that I should learn as they will be said a lot ?

Steve
That i cant help with C100 lives on the island an may know,

I can tell you that there is a noticeable regional difference among Greeks, i think i may have told you in the past although we go all round Greece we have spent most time on Kos but i picked up most of my Greek on Crete and several times been asked " appa poo eesay ya ston Kritty" [where are you from for to Crete{ where in Crete do you come from}]

yasus
Earlier on we did ee me ee euneki moo [this is my wife]

so today i thought one for the girls.. Ee me o' androsmoo [this is my husband]
Thank you is more efcharisto, the ch pronounced as the Scots pronounce loch.
I've noticed in general usage it is abreviated to faristo.

Night is nikta, not nighter as previously suggested.

At work we used to have a snack van call run by a guy from Rhodes.
He always greeted me with "Kalimera. Pos pai?" To which I replied, at his suggestion "Poli kala."

I've used this with fairly good results: http://www.greece.org/gr-lessons/gr-english/

One of my favourite words, useful when driving in Cyprus, is malaka.
I won't ask for a translation of that last word... :lol:
I've just listened to an audible book on greek language and culture.... ..**long pause**.. its well ...**pause** frightening.. ! It started off with the numbers 1 to 10.. :tup got that yup right with you... then I must have passed out or something as it was suddenly on about jugged hare and how the verb tense/sex and something else makes the word change... another faint and it was going on about the 7 vowels (of which 3 all make the same EE sound !) an the 7 double vowel sounds (of which there were more all making the EE sound) and the went on to accents.. and words with accents, ones that should have accents but dont when written but are pronounced with one.. some that follow the rule, some that dont.... I was quite frightened by then and had to go an lie down in a dark room.... woke up to it going on about saying "efharisto para polee"... and how to shape the varying vowel sounds....

the only bit I nearly picked up was "most words that tend to end with A" are female words...

*edit* oh and how some words like "thigh Ethela" I want/I would like are shotened to something like "thethla"??...

:duh
Im sure i did warn you Steve, Greek is the hardest language for Germanic speakers to learn :duh
yeah because we don't have the vocal training for half of the sounds !... say this one from your stomach ... sorry what... run that by me again !... :think
are there some words/phrases you can't change the gender/amount etc of ?

I was thinking "what is your name ?" - "pos sas lene" ... "sas" (like yas sas and yas sou) is someone you don't know isn't it ? but could you ask "pos sou lene" because that would suggest its someone you know, so why ask their name ?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.