Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
HuddersfieldTourist,

Welcome :wave:

TOM818/9 Are Operated By A Boeing 757-200. More Information On This Aircraft Type Can Be Found In Our What Aircraft? Thread (Linked In My Signature)

Thomson Airways Constantly Change The Aircraft Being Used So It Is Difficult To Say Whether It Is ex Thomsonfly Or ex First Choice. The Good News Is That ThereIs No Difference Between The Two Of Them. Seating Is Configured 3-3 And Has Overhead CRT's For The IFE

Gower

Edit: Not Again :duh - I Think I Need A Faster Computer
Thanks to both of you for such immediate information - is it a secret as to where the information of the proposed aircraft to be used is logged ? :think

I appreciate there can be information found from the links you provide on the seating format etc
Hi

Please could you tell me what plane I will be on when I fly to the Dominian Repulic on 24.01.09 with Thomson from Newcastle TOM138 and we have booked premium seats and was wondering if any seats are better than others. Many thanks
Sorry about asking another question when I have not given you the chance to reply to the one I posted late last night at 10.42 pm but am I correct in saying that all or nearly all Thomsonfly seats have beeen allocated by Thomson before you actually arrive at the airport. The reason I say this is that all the people with meals sit together and they do not check in at the same time and nor are you asked when checking in if you are having a meal and we have checked in quite late/almost last and ended up together whereas others who have said they checked in well before us are not sat together or even across the aisle. I must add we have not paid extra to sit together either. If this is so for Thomson do many other UK based charter flights do this ? My guess could be that they may allocate the seats on the date you booked so those that book last get the last choice of seats but I could be wrong about that too ! Thanks :que
froggles,

Your flights are operated by Boeing 767-300/ER. You'll find further aircraft information on our What Aircraft? guide. Seating is personal preference really. All the seats are pretty standard and don't really vary. It's whatever you prefer really, ie window, isle or centre seats.

Darren
HuddersfieldTourist,

Seating is allocated by a computer model the day before the flight on a best fit basis, a bit like a game of Tetris! This speeds things up at check-in and tries to ensure as many people are sat together as possible, taking in to account those that have meals booked (short/mid haul), pre-booked and selected their seats. Those with pre-booked meals are seated towards the front of the aircraft to make logistics of serving meals easier, but of course those that have selected their seats may be sat in other areas of the aircraft. Everyone checks in at the same time. Other operators use a different system, but I must say Thomson Airways system is pretty good. It means you don't need to arrive at the airport early to try and get seats together will already have seats allocated together. However, there is a health warning attached to that. Due to the nature of aircraft seating, it's inevitable some passengers will get split up, either across an isles, one behind the other (actually still classed as seating together) or maybe a row or two. Seating isn't allocated in order of the booking date. It's done purely on logistical criteria. If you want peace of mind of having seats together, that's what pre-booking is for (gives you priority for seating togetheron a tiered basis). I've not bothered with pre-booking for over 5 years and have never had a problem. If you're travelling as a couple, you'll be fine.

Darren
huddersfieldtourist,

Seating is allocated in three stages:-

1 those that have selected a specific seat (e.g. 22A/B)

2 Those that have paid to sit together but not bothered where they sit

3 Anyone remaining based on available seats. The computer doesn't favour booking dates but goes on party size.
The best way its been described as, is a bit like tetris the computer "see's" what seats are left, how many seperate "groups" need seating and puts everyone in a best fit to avoid being split up. Across the aisle is classed as together you are only seperated by 2ft of air and a surprising number of people prefer this as both partners have access to the aisle without bothering either the other or strangers.

It is worth mentioning, people can be split up even with empty seats, if the aircraft load is light and for safety reasons the aircraft needs to be balanced for safe take off, This tends to happen more on the smaller aircraft (737/A320) or extremely light loads on bigger aircraft (80 or less on the 767)
Thank you to both of you for the explanation on the seat allocation - it seems I was just about on the right tracks but not quite right !! :)

I asked this question which I hope is not being rude "is it a secret as to where the information of the proposed aircraft to be used is logged ? " or is it, for want of a better description, public knowledge ?

If it is readily available I would in future be happy to source it myself rather than have to be spoon fed the answer when there are other questions for you all to kindly answer.
HuddersfieldTourist,

Some members of these boards work for holiday companies / airlines so have access to the information, others have access to ACARS / SBS-1 and aircraft tracking information. I have a copy of the aircraft schedule that I can't say where I get it from, but it's not publically available. You can purchase aircraft enthusiast books from airports (eg WH Smiths and Aviation Shop at Manchester Airport) that details flight schedules and proposed aircraft, but that's manily for scheduled carriers.

Darren
Thanks Darren - I will be best asking as and when necessary for aircraft types and if someone can then provide the answer that would be great.

I was surprised they class sitting on the row behind as sitting together - if you are in 21A and your partner in 22A that's not together to me ( but for some it may be quite a suitable distance !! )
Hi There,

Just found the site a couple of days ago it's great well done to everyone involved. I'm flying from Birmingham to Montego Bay 31st Dec for 2 weeks I booked with First Choice the flight numbers are 31st Dec TOM 642 and 14th Jan TOM 643 wondering if it's a Thomson plane we'll be on and what type of aircraft, any help would be great.

Thanks

Irene
Irene67,

Welcome onboard :tup
BHX-MBJ-BHX (TOM642/3) are operated by a Boeing 767-300/ER, most likely a former Thomsonfly aircraft. You'll find further aircraft information on our What Aircraft? guide.

Darren
Thanks for your help Darren, I'll have a look at the guide.

Irene
Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can tell me if flights TOM092 / TOM093 Gatwick to Cancun leaving on the 15th of April 2010 will be operated by ex First Choice or Thomsonfly aircraft. Been on both long haul and prefered the layout of the first choice aircraft with the 2 3 2 seating. Any info most welcome.
Many thanks
Debbie :)
holidaylover10,

Currently Your Flight (TOM092/3) Is Due To Be Operated By The ex First Choice Aircraft

Gower
Hey going to cancun on 17th november TOM 74 and TOM 75 back....Have been looking on flightaware to see if the flight over the last cople of months was running on time.....Tom 75 this week was suppose to leave cancun at 4.20pm yesturday but didnt leave until 4pm today...Have they changed the flights around?? thanks
cymrulad1106,

Flights over the last couple of months have no bearing on punctuality of future flights. Flights prior to November were under the summer schedule. Flights from this week are under the winter schedule.

The flights schedules were/are as follows:

Summer 2009: Dep LGW Tues 09:15, Arr CUN 13:55, Boeing 767-300/ER, Flight No: TOM074
Summer 2009: Dep CUN Tues 15:45, Arr LGW Weds 07:25, Boeing 767-300/ER, Flight No: TOM075

Winter 2009: Dep LGW Tues 09:15, Arr CUN 14:10, Boeing 767-300/ER, Flight No: TOM074
Winter 2009: Dep CUN Tues 16:20, Arr LGW Weds 07:45, Boeing 767-300/ER, Flight No: TOM075

Yesterdays TOM074 was operated by G-PJLO and operated on-time. It looks like there was a technical problem in CUN that's lead to a delay on the TOM075, now estimated in LGW at 0605 in the morning.

Darren
hello again
I am travelling to punta cana from manchester on 11/11 and back on 18/11 TOM 136 & 137. Can anyone tell me where TOM137 will be coming to punta cana from so I can check for delays etc? (not sure if it would be manchester)
Thanks
Deana
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.