Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
OMG !!! I could not imagine sitting in a seat with 31" seat pitch for 10 hours. I found the 33" pitch on Thomas Cook uncomfortable as you cannot do anything but sit straight and then when the seat in front reclines they just about have their head on your lap :yikes

I must say I will be happy with the ex FCA 767 if push comes to shove as they are still more comfortable than the TC Longhaul Airbus.........at the end of the day as long as I get to Mexico I am not too worried as I am sure Thomsons will do their utmost to make passengers as comfortable as they possibly can given the circumstances
Most scheduled airlines are 31" pitch in economy.

And it really is a truly ghastly way to start a holiday. No matter what size one is.

I’m a skinny little 5foot8 runt – and I have done longhaul 31 inches several times, and it is HORRIBLE!
BA – horrible. Monarch - even worse. Thomas Cook 767 longhaul just as bad.

First Choice broke the mould with their 767 offering way back 6 years ago which was great and still is the best way to do long haul charter economy. The only thing to come close to matching it is to fly scheduled economy on something like Qatar or Emirates.

FCA 767 is BETTER than the much advertised Dreamliner 787, since available width per passenger on the Dreamliner 787 has been REDUCED by over an inch to get the 9 rows in across the plane.
They do not tell you that in the ads!
Let's just wait and see what happens as there's nothing concrete at the moment and anything could happen in the next 2 weeks.

I've been across the Atlantic many times on aircraft with 31" seat pitch, and less and its not as bad as it sounds and was the charter standard (30") until First Choice raised the bar in 2006. Many of the scheduled airlines still offer 31" seat pitch but some have fitted slim line seats that gives more room for the same seat pitch, but I'd still take the ex-FCA's over many carriers. Roll on 4 weeks on Monday!

Darren
ukbill wrote:

And it really is a truly ghastly way to start a holiday. No matter what size one is.

I’m a skinny little 5foot8 runt – and I have done longhaul 31 inches several times, and it is HORRIBLE!
BA – horrible. Monarch - even worse. Thomas Cook 767 longhaul just as bad.

First Choice broke the mould with their 767 offering way back 6 years ago which was great and still is the best way to do long haul charter economy. The only thing to come close to matching it is to fly scheduled economy on something like Qatar or Emirates.

FCA 767 is BETTER than the much advertised Dreamliner 787, since available width per passenger on the Dreamliner 787 has been REDUCED by over an inch to get the 9 rows in across the plane.
They do not tell you that in the ads!

Being as I've never been on a Dreamliner, I wouldn't know whether the ex FCA 767s are better. Thousands of people everyday fly longhaul with 31" pitch. If it was so horrible you'd not see so many Florida holidaymakers choosing to fly Virgin and BA instead of Thomsons or Thomas Cook.
dinner-lady wrote:
Where are you off to Darren ?

Negril, Jamaica although my favourite seat on the ex-FCA 763 has already been taken :cry

Darren
763? Is that a 767 version? Hope you have a great time - 4 weeks sat to DR happy no fuss holiday I hope.
deana wrote:
763? Is that a 767 version? Hope you have a great time - 4 weeks sat to DR happy no fuss holiday I hope.

763 is the shorthand term for Boeing 767-300/ER. I always have a great time! I hope you get to where you're going and have a great holiday too.

Darren
Cheers Darren. I'm sure it will all sort itself out in the wash :). Loved the irony by the way.
Dazbo HT Mod wrote:
dinner-lady wrote:

Negril, Jamaica although my favourite seat on the ex-FCA 763 has already been taken :cry

Darren

I think that one may be reserved for the pilot :D Have a great holiday you deserve it.
dinner-lady wrote:
I think that one may be reserved for the pilot :D Have a great holiday you deserve it.

If Darren was in either 0A or 0B I'd be the first to get off :rofl

Have a great time mate. Still sorting out some stuff so can't even book anything until that's all completed - the day it is I'll be looking for late deals leaving the next day! :D
baz657,

You obviously saw my last attempt at a landing Baz!! You'll be glad you didn't book Cancun for 4th May now with all the issues at the moment. Hope you're all well.

Darren
Dazbo HT Mod wrote:
dinner-lady wrote:

Darren

Have a great holiday Darren. The beach in Negril is fantastic!

Gav
Dazbo HT Mod wrote:
dinner-lady wrote:

Darren

I love 7 mile beach. It's awesome. Lucky you!
An interesting development and to be taken with a pinch of salt and read in to it what you will at this stage, but I'm being told Thomson Airways pilots being retrained on the 757/767 for the summer due to those stepping up and trained on the 787-8, are now not looking like they are doing so until winter at the earliest. The introduction of Thailand from Gatwick will likely tech stop (for fuel) in Scandinavia onroute if the 787-8 doesn't arrive by September.

Again, i'll emphasis this is latest information coming out of Thomson Airways and doesn't mean too much at this stage, but this is looking like part of the contigency being put together to be announced in March if the 787-8's aren't going to be in service on time with 767's covering until they do arrive.

Darren
Hello

Just wondering if anyone can confirm out of the 10 767's in Thomson's fleet currently which ones are in the long haul configuration and which in the short haul?

I take it all the ex-FCA are in Long Haul config but what are the ex-TOM (YD,YF,YH,YG) currently in?

Also, which 767's were "due" to leave the fleet in replace of the dreamliners?

Thanks
Z.J.C
Dazbo HT Mod wrote:
z.j.c,

I assume you mean TOM144/5? It's an ex-FCA according to the schedule.

Darren

Hello

Sorry only just seen this reply I totally forgot I posted!! Yes thats the flight numbers thank you for confirming.

Thanks

Z.J.C
z.j.c wrote:
Hello

Just wondering if anyone can confirm out of the 10 767's in Thomson's fleet currently which ones are in the long haul configuration and which in the short haul?

I take it all the ex-FCA are in Long Haul config but what are the ex-TOM (YD,YF,YH,YG) currently in?

Also, which 767's were "due" to leave the fleet in replace of the dreamliners?

Thanks
Z.J.C

All 6 ex-FCA are long haul, the ex-TOM are short haul at present. The 3x ex-FCA 763's due to leave and be replaced by 787-8's were G-OOAN, G-PJLO and G-DBLA. Even if the ex-FCA's leases are extended to cover the summer season, its not that simple as there are capacity issues. View my post here.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.