Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
we go with thompson on the 25 th june.
i booked one extra 5 kg weight allowance between us .
i will be intrested to see if this works as i have never done it before.
should be ok in manchester,but looks like it will have a different interperation in dalaman.??
i am going to get the weights in manchester logged, we dont intend to buy in turkey ,unless well under weight.
allways have in the past but not worth the hassle now coming home .
another nail in the coffin for turkey.AND WE LOVE IT on our 12 th trip in 4 years,so not negative,just cheesed off with the explotation over there.
we have just returned also.we were over an hour and a half at check in,as there were loads of people complaining about being charged.the old foot under the scales trick wo'nt work either, as they are now built into the belt.
Simple solution is not to pack too much and go over your permitted allowance?
Correct T/M.

Bluepeterno1
last year when flying out I was well under the allowance. We had 3 cases the heaviest of which was 16kg
On return, bearing in mind we no longer had the 8 bottles of suncream, 6 bottles of toiletries, 12 books, 3 pairs of heavyish beach shoes and only added in 4 T shirts and trinkets for pressies (key rings and the like) they tried to charge me for 5kg excess. No way! I made a fuss and it was waived but if I hadn,t have known I could easily have given in and paid. There are some scams around - the year before i was told I had only given £20 for 3 visas. I knew I had put 30 on the counter but it was my first time and paid up
The airport won't put me off turkey tho! :D
Simple solution is not to pack too much and go over your permitted allowance?

Many people leave the UK on or under the allowance, use toiletries & suncreams, get to the airport in Turkey AND GET CHARGED/SCAMMED FOR EXCESS BAGGAGE.

See the post above from Lally, EXACTLY the same thing happened to my sister & her husband. Fine leaving Gatwick, used her toiletries & suncreams, bought one item A FRIDGE MAGNET! & was charged £35 in Dalaman, After they had had £50 of me & my husband.
Surely the scales at Dalaman show the weight of the luggage? If there was any fiddling with them then I suspect everyone would show up as over. Maybe I'm fortunate in never having been charged but then I've never exceeded the allowance. Coincidence??
they wont get a penny of me . we never go over weight . i also take very good digital fishing scales . i will argue big time if they try to con me .
Very serious accusations to say we are being scammed.If you are not over the weight it is easy to prove . There is no one will get £35/50 from me just on there sayso.

Bluepetrno1
I am not for one moment suggesting there is a scam. Surely if there is a dispute then a request to have the luggage weighed on another machine would prove or disprove the initial reading. However if the machine says 23kg and is proved to be accurate then fair cop!
Iwas agreeing with you taxman it wasent you who said we were being scammed.

Bluepeterno1
I did have my luggage reweighed in the presence of a rep and someone from the airport and was told i was under the weight allowance which is why I didn't pay
Also filled out a form with the rep at the time
Never followed it up because of a bereavement soon after my return
I would have paid up without fuss if I thought we were even close to being over the limit outward
Lallygirl was it easy to get a rep? Just worried as my daughter travelling alone next week and has next to nothing in her luggage, not planning on buying anything either. Hasn't happened before about being over allowance but just want her to be prepared.
Very serious accusations to say we are being scammed.If you are not over the weight it is easy to prove . There is no one will get £35/50 from me just on there sayso.

The reps don't go in with you to Dalaman airport.
What happened to my sister is a FACT, at gatwick she was OK (she was only going for a week, I went for two). We came back on the same flight.

But hey if you say we're not being scammed for excess then all these people must be wrong.
I wonder what happened in Lallys case, hmmmm

Its like the "hassle", it doesn't exist, its all in our minds.
There are plenty of reps as far as check in - at least that has been my experince , they walk up and down the queues checking tickets etc, so I just grabbed the nearest one - we were with thomsons. They can't go further than check in , tho I have never seen any in depatures whereever i have flown from . Then again never needed one before. She was great by the way, last I saw she was in a heated discussion with the airport guy.I didn't get an apology just a "its ok - go". As I travel alone with my children believe me I would not make a fuss unless I felt very strongly. I just want a good holiday
Maybe i was unlucky but I know I never get anywhere near our allowance - makes me wonder what I should be taking but don't :roll:
Hi Lynne :D

Phew! I never get near my allowance either. I am always too embarrassed to tell people incase they think we don't change our clothes enough. :oops: We normally have 4 cases and they are between 12kgs and 16 kgs each. Although I know a lot of TO's are going down to 15 kgs as standard anyway. Grr.

I'm glad you queried it, even if it just makes them think once or twice about trying to rip off some other poor soul it's worth it. Dont know if I would be that brave though if I was on my own with two girls?

Well Done. :D
Cheers Chris
I was just so angry - I was shaking with rage . Thats not me , I hate fuss and of course the girls hate it more! 8)
I've booked to go to Olu D next year. Didn't think I would go back to Turkey so soon (Egypt, Algarve & Spain this year), but there is just something about the place.

So I will have to brave the bag scammers next summer. :( I would have been shaking with rage. What is really low is picking on a women who is on her own with two kids. :evil: Although my Hubby sooooooooo doesn't like a fuss he would probably pay up. I'll have to keep my eye on the reps make sure they are near. Just in case. (If you'll pardon the pun! LOL).
:rofl
Are you back to the BB?
Just to say we also take enough to change our clothes!
last year at check in the guy on the desk , after weighing our cases ,said he couldn't believe we were so far under and would I speak to his wife!
I have had fab holidays in Turkey and looking forward to the next one (64 wake ups!}and nothing in the Airport would put me off. Nothing else in Turkey has occured which made me feel vulnerable, so chalk it up but keep your wits about you
Al your daughter will be fine and Peter have a good one
Lally :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.