Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Very nice indeed.

Flew from Gatwick to Bangkok via Abu Dhabi.

The flight from Gatwick to Abu Dhabi was excellent - because it was a scheduled flight, the plane was only half full so my wife and I ended up with a row of seats each so we could lay down :D
6.5 hours to Abu Dhabi. The airport there is small but quite a few shops to look around, we only had to wait one hour anyway.
The flight on to Bangkok was packed - a full flight. This took about 6.45 hours. Service is good, food is average, as all airline food tends to be at best!!
In flight entertainment is excellent. 10" personal TV's in every seat (largest of any airline I believe) with on demand films and TV (a good choice) and around 200 albums of music also available so no MP3 player needed! :D
Coming home, the flight from Bangkok to Abu Dhabi was full but from Abu Dhabi back to Gatwick it was virtually empty!! I have never seen a plane so empty, so we were able to lay down and I actually slept for the first time ever on a flight!! :D
All this and the return flight to Bangkok cost £380 - a bargain!!

I will definitely fly again with Etihad, apart from being a pleasant trip, you just cannot beat the price.
Be aware that from the 26th March they will not fly from Gatwick anymore, they are changing to Heathrow.

TC
When we flew the Gatwick Abu Dhabi legs back in 2006 there was hardly anyone on the planes then. So maybe its no suprise they are stopping the route...pity though as the flight timings were excellent.

I thought the food was some of the best airline food I've had on a flight. Prices seem to have gone up though...we paid £305 :) Still an excellent price though and they have to pay for the new planes I suppose.

I gather the WiFi has gone as Boeing are no longer supporting it.
Sunbear,
It's only the airport changing isn't it? I thought they were still flying London to Bangkok but just from Heathrow rather than Gatwick?

TC
TeeCee,

Yes they are still flying but only from Heathrow and Manchester now. Its just I found the scheduling from Gatwick fitted in well...arrival early in to Bangkok outbound and 20.55 back from Bangkok suited me much better than waiting till one or two in the morning when many other flights back to London leave. I see I can still do the 20:55 back so not all is lost.
i flew etihad business in 2006 and it was brilliant.

i have booked for this xmas and they are messing the schedules about something terrible, today i have been informed that my flight back will now have a 9 hour stopover in abu dhabi so people travelling from bangkok may want to check their schedule again very soon.
I understand that the service from Heathrow will be in a 3 class system rather than the 2 class system that was offered from Gatwick - therefore giving passengers a better choice of service on the 777.

Nivsy
Etihad to start Beijing service

Etihad Airways is launching flights from Abu Dhabi to Beijing on March 30, connecting with services from London Heathrow and Manchester.

The four flights a week service will be Etihad's first in China. In the Asia Pacific region, it already flies to Brisbane, Sydney, Manila, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Bangkok.

Etihad will operate a two class Airbus A330-200 configured to carry 262 passengers with 22 in business class and 240 in economy class between Abu Dhabi and Beijing.

Flights will operate every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday with EY888 departing from Abu Dhabi at 11.45pm and arriving in Beijing at 11.30am the next day.

Return flight EY889 departs from Beijing every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at 7.10pm arriving in Abu Dhabi at 00.20am the next day.

The flight times connect conveniently with the airline's morning, afternoon and evening services from Heathrow and a daily service from Manchester.

Chief executive James Hogan said: "Beijing has established itself as one of the world's fastest growing and most popular destinations and we anticipate tremendous demand for this new Etihad service from customers across our global network.

"There is a huge appetite from business and leisure travellers for flights to Beijing, especially ahead of the 2008 Olympic Games"

With permission from Travelmole
we hope to go back to goa in jan for three months,we have got what seams to be a good price for the flights,£962 for two people return to mumbia, has anyone out there used this airline?

edit
moved to existing topic which should help for info
Fiona ht mod
morjim phil,

Etihad are one of the better airlines. For reviews, refer to Airline Quality or Car Survey - Flights.

Darren
Etihad signs Malaysia Airlines partnership

Closer ties between Etihad Airways and Malaysia Airlines are planned.

The two airlines plan to add destinations to their international networks and offer frequent flyer benefits offered to their respective passengers.

A memorandum of understanding has been signed to pave the way for closer co-operation on joint initiatives which are likely to include a future code-share agreement as well as collaboration on frequent flyer programmes, ground handling, customer support, cargo and airport lounge access.

Abu Dhabi-based Etihad currently runs six weekly Boeing 777 flights to the Malaysian capital.

Kuala Lumpur is one of seven destinations served by Etihad in the Asia-Pacific region. The airline also flies to Bangkok, Jakarta, Manila, Singapore, Brisbane and Sydney.

Etihad chief executive James Hogan said: "Asia is one of our strongest markets and there is huge appetite amongst our customers to travel beyond the Malaysian capital.

"This partnership will hopefully give us an ideal opportunity to expand the number of Asian destinations we offer our customers and we anticipate that it will result in increased traffic and more revenue opportunities for both our airlines."

Etihad has eight other codeshare agreements with Yemen Airways, Saudi Arabia Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Sri Lankan Airlines, Royal Air Maroc, Philippine Airlines, Middle East Airlines and bmi.

With permission from Travelmole
US traveller here. We are considering Etihad from New York to Madras, India mainly because it allows us to get to Madras at a decent time rather than the usual red eye flights.

Review here seem positive. But, concern is a 1 hr connection time in Abu Dhabi and an 8 hour lay over on the way back.

Has anyone used them to fly to India and/or any advice?
I would'nt worry about the short transit time as they will hold the connecting flight if the times are'nt too far out, but the long transit time on the way back could be a problem, its a small airport and very very busy, last year we spent about five hours there and it seemed a long long time. Unless things have improved i would'nt fancy the length of transit you'vr got. Alan
Hi there, we are going to Koh Samui via Abu Dhabi and Bangkok in November, and have read sooooo many reviews regarding Etihad airways, and have to say that many are very positive, but it would be great to find out if anyone out there has flown from Manchester to Thailand with them and let me know about the experience....

Much appreciated :cheers
Jazzyb,

I flew London to Bangkok - see my report above. They are excellent and I wouldn't hesitate in flying with them again. Bangkok airways down to Koh Samui are also excellent.

Cheers,

TC
Having just flown Ab Dhabi Joburg return with them I dont rate their Business class not a patch on Qatar Airlines.
some people are saying that you can take 30kg even in Coral class yet the Etihad web site states only 20kg.
who is right here.
chester,

Coral (economy) class luggage allowance is 20kg.

Darren
Dazbo5 yeh i found out this morning when a finally got a reply from them.
But there is a way of getting an extra 10kgs free of charge if you are in Coral.
I went on the Eithad website last night and joined there Guest Scheme which takes about 5 mins to fill in a few forms.
When the info is processed you are sent a card via email with a number onit which you take to check in.
This allows you 10kgs extra luggage free, I double checked with their manchester office this morning and they said yes you have 30kg for you and 30kg for your wife.
sorted :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.