General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
A very funny book, very well written and almost believable is McCarthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy. The number of times I laughed out loud.
I meant to check whether he wrote any more books, I will have to check.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/McCarthys-Bar-Journey-Discovery-Ireland/dp/0340766050

Robby :wink:
Robby, Pete McCarthy wrote another book - 'The Road To McCarthy'

Sadly, he didn't write any more. :(
Thanks M_M, I looked at that on the Amazon link. I will have to get that one, hope it's as good as the last one.
I enjoy his sense of humour, a bit like my own!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robby :wink:
Bought my holiday books yesterday - The Secret Life of a Slummy Mummy by Fiona Neill and My Booky Wook by Russell Brand. Two for £7 from Tesco :wink: Had a sneaky peek at Slummy Mummy last night before bed and it seems good, but I can't wait to get started on Russell Brand's book :love2 I need to put it away so I don't read it all before we go!
I've just read 'The Forgotten Garden' by Kate Morton, couldn't put it down and enjoyed it much more than her first book 'The House at Riverton' which, although I quite enjoyed it, it wasn't one of my favourites.
I did work out who was who well before the end but also there was some doubt whether I was right so that kept it interesting and all the loose end were explained nicely by the end of the book. :)
I haven't bought mine yet - still got 6weeks to go.

I wouldn't be able to resist reading them if I got them too early.
dont know if anyone knows what book i am talking about so here goes......(i was told about it on hols but forgot the name of it ) :whoops :whoops
its a story about an american woman who gives birth to twins they are delivered by her doctor husband one of the twins has downs syndrome and the husband tells his wife that the baby dies but she was infact adopted by one of the nurses and i think she turns up years later or the other twin finds out the truth
:think :think :think
think you mean the memory keepers daughter by kim edwards. its a really good book :)
Oooh that does sound good. I'll make a note of that one, thanks. :)
thanks mandy
gonna look on play.com now see if i can find it
just got it for £4.99
got some fab bargains on there
all p&p free
and buy via quidco and get some money back aswell
sex and the city book for me when im away

looove it
Will not have chance to read a book or even a magazine on my holiday Sept 25th as taking my grandchildren.There is always next year when we are going on our own :D

Diane :wave:
My favourite ever books are:

The Memory Keeper's Daughter
The Lovely Bones
The Time Travellers's Wife
The Five People You Meet in Heaven
The Island
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night
My Sister's Keeper
Diary of an Ordinary Woman
Memoirs of a Geisha

All absolutely fantastic books.

For easy comedy reads I also like anything by:

Mil Millington
Mike Gayle
Marion Keyes (a bit of a guilty pleasure this one)

For mystery/suspense/whodunnits I like:

Kathy Reichs
Patricia Cornwall
Peter James
Dan Brown (another guilty pleasure)
Karin Slaughter
I was recommended a book on this site a couple of years ago called More Ketchup Than Salsa by Joe Cawley. Think Joe himself even contributed to this site on the odd occasion. Basically about a couple from Bolton who gave up there life in the UK to run a bar in Tenerife. It was a great read and I'm sure at the time there was talk of a follow up but I've not been able to find anything more about this.

Does anyone know if a follow up was ever written or if this is in the pipeline. Alternatively any books of a similar nature.

Many thanks
The Leaving of Liverpool by Maureen Lee..excellent

anything by Jeffrey Archer....sounds well conry i know but his books always have me gripped.
I am reading a book called I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb. It has 900 pages but I've stopped at pg 500 cos I want to save it for my hols in a few weeks time. It's a brilliant book, about twins, one is a paranoid schizophrenic. It's very easy to read and draws you in right from the start, one of the best books I've ever read.
I'm another Reichs, Gerritson (sp??) and Slaughter fan and bought some Linda Farstein books (same vein) from The Works at silly prices too. It is a bit worrying enjoying all these death and medical type reads...................................

Have recently been using the local library more as I have spent a lot of time off work sick recently and couldn't afford to keep pace with my reading habit . Consequently I've been enjoying trawling thorough some "new" (well, to me anyway) authors - especially Elinor Lipman ("the pursuit of Alice Thrift" , I think from memory) and Carol Sheilds (Stone Diaries, the Happenstance, Duet etc). "The Potters House" by Rosie Thomas is also a great read and worth looking out for.

Kate Mosse's Labyrinth and Sepulchre would also make great holiday books (for the length of them if nothing else) though I definitely preferred the latter of the two.

However I have got totally hooked on my 13 year old daughter's Cornelia Funke books - Inkheart/Inkspell. The 3rd in the trilogy (Inkdeath) was due out in early Aug but has been delayed and I'm nearly desperate enough to buy an american proof copy from ebay at some ridiculous price..... there is a film to come too. Don't dis it til you've tried it ...........................................!!!!!!! :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.