Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Re: lykia world
1440 Posts
I definately think when it comes to rooms at Lykia there is more good information on this thread than in all the travel agents in the country. Mainly thanks to Bridd and Karen. :tup

I just hope I get what I think I have booked. It's the usual story on the phone I was told you definately have a balcony, but on my invoice nothing, so fully expect to be put in a garden room.

Doe :que
chris how many are you and what does it say i can have a look im my lykia brochure if that will help
Hi Karen

We are 2 adults, two teens which I have been charged child prices for as they are 15 and 13, so I am hoping for what I think is called a cat 2 or cat
3 the one with the double bed for adults and the L shaped arrangement of two sofa beds for the two kids.

But I guess 2 adults and 2 kids also fit in the Garden rooms.

Chris
Hi, yes unfortunately we have had the same hassle with what room type we booked, it took me ages (numerous phone calls, emails etc) to finally get the tour op to send out an invoice that states we have an 'interconnecting family room' but still no mention of a balcony which i was assured we would have but then told later by the tour op that they can only request this at Lykia, so I am hoping that we get a decent room as there are 5 o us (2adults, 3 kids).

It has been interesting reading about not calling the kids club kids club as one of our boys always takes alot of persuading to go to these :cheers So are the kids quite safe to come and go to these clubs as and when they feel like it? Our boys will be 9, 11 and 12 so they should be able to leave without us having to collect them, is that correct? Do the clubs have timetables available of what is on and when, for example the banana boats do the kids have to meet at the beach or the kids club and the staff take them to the beach? just really interested to know how this all works, we are hoping for a nice chill out time where we can let the kids go off but without getting lost and of course being safe to do so :think
Hi Twinkletoes
I should say that I haven't been to Lykia World for well over a year now, and that my kids are just about grown up. We have been about 8 times though and my boys attended all the clubs from the mini club right up to the teenage club.
Hopefully someone who has been more recently will advise you but until then here is my tuppence worth.
The schedule for all the clubs (they have around 6 different age groups) is posted on the notice boards every week. It's easy to see at a glance what each group will be doing.
The groups normally meet at 10am on the Village dancefloor where there is a bit of singing and silliness then they go off in groups to do their thing.
Unless things have changed there's no signing in and out. The same staff stick with their age group so the kids get to know them. Not all the staff speak English but there's always some that do.
The teenage group meet a bit later and there's no singing! They just get together in one of the cafes and take it from there.
As far as I can remember, kids can join in by finding out where the club has gone and just joining them.
I only ever went with my kids on the first ever day of our first time at LW. After that they went off by themselves. They would eat lunch with their group but they also knew where we were likely to be most of the day so they never had trouble finding us. Although its a big place I don't think we ever lost anyone - we would always have a lounger with a beach bag containing our room keys so as long as everyone knew where that was they could come and go to our rooms.
The clubs meet again later in the day and they can be involved in stuff right up till around 9pm so you can have a leisurely dinner if you want.
The show rehearsals are also advertised. They used to begin on a Tuesday morning in the auditorium. Performing in these on a Friday night was a highlight for my kids. They get professional costumes, make up etc. You couldn't move for camcorders in the audience on a Friday.
There were a few posters who went to LW last summer. I really wish they'd come back and give you some up to date info.
Thank you very much for that bridd. What I'm also worried about is our boys are very fair skinned and if they are left all day at the clubs I don't want them burning but I guess i will just have to arrange a meeting point to plaster more sun screen on them, I can imagine though that this will be inconvenient having to find out where they are etc (don't want to drag them away at a crucial point if you know what I mean!) or does each activity last only last a couple of hours? I appreciate that you haven't used the kids clubs for some time but I still value your opinion! Thanks :wave:
Unless they are going away on a trip (in which case they'll have their backpacks and a bottle of sunscreen) you can meet them at lunch or check the timetable and go and find them to reapply it. Mine have been away all day white water rafting and other trips and the staff were good at getting them to use sunscreen and wear hats.
White water rafting? That's amazing, do they do that for the younger kids as well? (hubby says can he join in lol!) seriously though how old do they have to be and is there a little extra charge as part of the kids club for this? I don't think 2 weeks at Lykia is going to be long enough somehow.... :(
They do lots of excursions. There's a desk you book them at. We've been white water rafting (obviously) jeep safaris, paragliding, gulet (boat) trips, quad biking and horse riding. Sometimes the kids clubs lay these on just for the kids and obviously you pay extra. It's not cheap though.
You can also book all of these in Olu Deniz where the cost is a lot less. We always book from the hotel as you get picked up and dropped back off there without having to hang about waiting for other people from other hotels.
The white water rafting is a long way off. I'm not sure I would go again as it's around two and a half hours in the bus. It was good though.
The boat trip is easy as it goes from the hotel's own pier.
chris im sure you will get the room with the balcony like you said cat 2-3, i think only some of the TO use these dreaded garden rooms, not sure which ones though. i think its about time the travel agents and TO knew more about lykias rooms, i just hope you enjoy it as much as we did and i see one of your kids age 15 was the same age as my son and he had a ball
Hi Twinkletoes

Went to Lykia last year for the first time, our kids were 13/14 and used the teenage club

They really enjoyed it and had good fun, there was an itinary. Some activities had an extra charge, but it was well worth it. They did banana boat for I think about 4/5 euros, also jetski for same price and parasailing for 10 euros. They also played volleyball,football, wallclimbing, tennis , pool games, tenpin bowling etc.........they never got bored. They could spend all day with the club if they wanted and they just came and went as they pleased. The club leader was really laid back and got on well with the kids it was great.

There was also a boat trip with the club but we had already booked to go jeep safari that day so they missed that one. Jeep safari was one of our favourite days, we booked the trip in ouli deniz with "gorgeous George" 13 euros a head, fantastic value which included a lovely meal at a fish farm, and a visit to a gorge and mud baths it really was a fab day out.

Have booked to go again this year, cant wait, never usually go back to same place twice but we all had such a great time decided to try it again, you wont be disappointed
I am afraid booking trips through LW does not mean you will have no other pickups and drop-offs. We booked jeep safari and quad bikes through Lykia and on both we made a couple of other pickups. All it guarantees is that you will be collected from the village reception, whereas if you book in Olu Deniz, they will not let them in and you have to be picked up from the main entrance. It's probably luck, whether there are enough people booked from Lykia to fill a jeep or not. There were only the 4 of us, even though it was August.
Hopefully you won't get one of these. We used one last July as a late checkout room. We actually seem staff (chefs etc) coming in and out of these, so maybe they don't put to many people in these now.
Thanks for your reply Karen

I am booked through Airtours who I dont normally travel with, and as we all know they are subject to the merger (take-over :roll: ) by Thomas Cook. I am just hoping that this doesn't have an adverse effect on the holiday. Particularly as it was booked at a bargain price. I am begining to get a bit paranoid and wondering if because we are ex-airtours people we will be shoved in the rubbish rooms. The way I am looking at it though is even if we are in them, it's only to sleep.
The 9 yrs + don't have to be signed in but the younger groups do. I packed their sun cream and then would discreetly turn up every now and again and made sure the kids had applied it. I found that the kids reps made sure they were always in the shade wherever possible.

Activities my then 7 and 10 yr old took part in were the climbing wall, banana boat, jetskiing, pool games, judo lessons, archery, football, the 2 shows to name a few. Some of the activities are chargeable but it's only nominal and costs far less than if you organise it yourself. They'd often lunch with their clubs and we'd meet up with them when they finished their activities and they fancied some time with us. The kids will also have great fun riding around in the free buses, my 10 year old loved that and felt really grown up. They can meet at the activity, i.e. the beach, as and when they feel like it and stay for as long as they want and around 3.30 they all have fruit and a snack so we'd find them back at the clubhouse then.

You'll have a fabulous time I'm sure. We're not going back this year, and have chosen Aqua Fantasy instead but fully intend to return in 2009.
chris thats exactly what i thought , i think they are just a bit dark and im sure if you do get 1 of the garden rooms you might be able to change ,but the chances of getting 1 i think is fairly slim. when are you going, we are going to the aegean dreams for may bank hol but dont think it will be a patch on lykia, which has spoilt us for any other hotels now lol
Going for the last two weeks in July. I like the look of Aegean Dream but at the time I was booking it was expensive and the reviews were more mixed than Lykia's, so plumped for that. I know it will be busy but hoping it won't be as bad as August. Think it's the same two weeks as we went to Belcekic Beach and we managed to get sunbeds there without getting up at stupid o'clock, but by the end of July it was frantic.
Thanks for the info pamplemousse, I'm so excited already :cheers When the kids are in the kids club are we (their parents) allowed to go off site?? I doubt we are and don't suppose I'd really feel comfortable doing that anyway, just my boys hate shopping and it would've been nice for myself and hubby to go off for a couple of hours gander around the shops in Olu maybe?? but I guess if we ARE allowed to go off site and the kids are well looked after....it might be a thought, do you think it would be safe to do that if we are allowed to leave them? :think
Hi
nobody would know if you leave the hotel. It's really just down to you. I personally never did it when my kids were young. I could have left them easily the last couple of visits as they were older, but never felt the need.
If we were having a morning at the market they would have wanted to come. We also found enough to keep us amused on site.
I wonder if you would be able to relax and enjoy yourself if you were out without them.
You could always leave them a mobile and take one with you in case they needed you.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.