Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Suzie,
dont know about laundry, although never saw anywhere, we just took some handwash liquid and hung on balcony. Didnt need to wash that much,

casual dress code was fine for dinner.......no swimwear or swim shorts at lunch time in restaurant.

4 of us shared a room, 2c 2a, booked 2 rooms, niether had seperate bedroom, dont think the large room for 6 has one either.

Have a good time
:wink:
leaving on the 28th june for two weeks, cant wait
No there is no laundry, can't remember seeing one in town either, but we washed things through in the sink and they dried quickly. No they don't have two bedrooms in the larger rooms, my son and his family had one, we were in a room for 4/5, but the childrens bed was a round a corner, so a bit more private.
We had a great holiday there and would go back tomorrow if we could, hope you have a good time.
2 weeks tomorrow and counting. The kids are starting to get excited and asking every day "how many more sleeps".
Will anyone else be there between 5th july - 12th july?

nice to know the great reviews (with 1 exception) are still coming in for this hotel.

prydie
hi prydie, will be leaving for the petra mare this Friday :!: Cant wait, most of the reviews sound fantastic. Looking forward to seeing you sunshine susie too..... :)
Hi all flying out 12th july from glasgow looking pool friends for the kids girl 10 and boy 8 both love the water i prefer to bake in the sun. also can are there restrictions on the water slides i heard they were only open for a couple of hours per day.
Thanks for all the reviews , Flying out on 5th July from Birmingham.
Me the missus & two kids ( boy 9 & little girl 18months ). Any other familys going to be there at the same time ??
Is the place going to be over-run with Germans or is it mainly English now?
Have read that there is a sea breeze, Would this breeze be enough to fly a kite on the beach in the evening ? Not talking little kids kites but big Power-Kites.
Quick replys if possible as I am going on 5th July.
cheers
Aid
Aid, there was a warm breeze most of the time, and soom days you had to weigh things down, a couple of evenings chairs and cups were blowing away, very strong wind but always warm........mind you, we did go in october.
Hi all, we (me, my better half (32, 29), kids (girl 8, boy 4) are going to Petra Mare on 8th July for 2 weeks - and we can't wait!!!!!!!

We have had mixed views on this hotel and to be honest don't really know what to expect!

From reading this site it sounds as though there are going to be a load of us out there at the same time - how we will recognise each other, I have no idea. I will make sure all my family are wearing a red carnation at all times! :D

I am sure the weather will be great, and no matter I hope we will all have a fantastic time.

Have fun, save us a sunbed and see you all when we get there.

xx
Hi Vanessar, hope you have a fabulous holiday, I'm sure we all will if we just go with an open mind to enjoying ourselves :D Everyone seems to be going a couple of weeks before me or going out just as I get back :cry:

Shell 8)
Came back from 2weeks at the Petra Mare on 18th, after brillaint holiday. Couldn't fault hotel. Food, cleanliness, friendliness all A1.
Adult entertainment could be a bit "cheesy", but entertainment staff really friendly and excellent with the kids. Definately recommend it. Hope you all enjoy it as much as we did, and there were 15 of us! (8 adults, 7 children) I do apologise as we were some of those awful people who put our towels on the sunbeds, but there were plenty to go round! Came back with great suntan and several pounds heavier. To answer question about ATM - there are plenty in the town a short walk away.
Only just read the reviews. Not sure what people go abroad for if they're not prepared to sample local cuisine! Can't please everyone. Do recognise these people from comments they have made, some people are born to complain!
Fernali-thanks for your comments,was starting to get a bit panicky,its would be nice if the people who post the negative reviews joined the topic threads so that we could ask them individual questions to ascertain exactly what they didnot like.
We got back this morning after one week in Petra Mare. It was our first hoilday abroad so we have nothing to compare it to, but here goes: 3.5 hour flight from brimingham after a one hour delay, followed by a 1.5 hour drive to hotel - not too bad we thought.
first impressions when we arrived during the middle of night were good, nice lobby, clean room, beds okay! breakfast 7-10am, lots of choice but my 10 year old who usually eats anything stuggled to fins anything she actually liked. Me and my hubby were okay though. Hotel appeared clean and friendly, lots and lots of kids around. Icecream served twice a day for one hour, snack bar food not fantastic and lots of flies around, we tried to avoid that ourselves but loads of people were eating from there and enjoying it. The drinks werent to my taste, whiskey was awful and so was the wine, my hubby drank lots of beer and my daugther lots of pop. The pool was brilliant for kids, slides opened twice a day for an hour or so - the area round the pool was very slippy so be careful. Lunch in restaurant was 12.30-2.30, not so good for kids but great for adults who aretn scared to try stuff. Beach was poor, very stoney, almost gritty and it is difficult to paddle inthe sea as the sand/grit is so soft - however the pools more than make up for this. We usually sat on the beach as there were never any sun loungers left by the pool - some people must set their alarm to get up and put the towels out :)
Dinner in restaurant was good for adults but again not too much choice for kids. Kids club was great, our daughter really enjoyed it. Kids entertainment was great for younger kids but too babyish for 8+. Adults entertainment was very cheesy, but funny, typical holiday camp entertainment. One night we had some greek dancers come in, but usually it is the reps putting their own shows together.
it is very windy at Petra mare, we needed jackets in the evening as it was so cold! Apparently it is very cold for the time of year at the moment - it was really hot during the day though.
We went on an excursion which was totally unsuitable for us, but the reps didnt seem too bothered that they had sold it us despite us asking for reassurance that it was suitable for us, it was a waste of 112 euros.
On the beach there are water sports which are fun and the guys operatingit are very friendly. There is not much else to do arounf the hotel so it is mainly good for people who worship the sun.

To sum up we thought the hotel was fine, but loads of people were moaning about it not being clean and about the food being awful and about the all inclusive not being good enough. The poeple we travelled back to airport with were fed up and couldnt wait to get home as were alot of people who were waiting to be picked up by the next coach. We would probably go back so it cant have been that bad!

We all like different hings and we all see things differently, but for first timers it was okay for us.
Dizzy
Hi Dizzy, glad you had a good holiday and it's reasurring to know that you would go back. As I always say with holidays one man's meat is another man's poison.

Just wanted to ask, are the sunloungers on the beach and if so were there plenty to go round?

Shell :D
There were plenty of sunloungers around the pool and some on the beach - the ones round the pool get reserved very early, and the ones on the beach were gone by 10am. i dont know if the hotel was full while we were there, but I though that they could do with a few more sunloungers.
dizzy
Thanks for that Dizzy :D
Thanks Dizzy for your holiday update, it made great reading.... I think! Al I want is for it to be hot, so I get a good tan, and enough to keep the kids occupied. I am sure it will be fine.

glad you had a great time. Me and my family go 8th July - anyone else going around that time?

I will update on here when I get back.

Thanks again.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.