Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Just returned and no baggage excess applied to my flight with Onur Air we were 8kgs overwight and did expect to pay the £5 per kg overweight charge with Onur Air, I did notice on a Thomson and a First choice flight that people were being charged £6 per kg excess, Be carefull those of you travelling you have been warned once again.
I`ve got me self a spring balance/fishing scale to take with me,was only £3 on ebay
Isn't it sad that we have to start resorting to these measures? :(

I don't know what it is re Dalaman and other airports. You go on holiday to Turkey and whichever resort you are going to you are met with such kindness, friendship and people who genuinely want you to have a great holiday yet ALL the staff employed at airports can't crack a smile and are out to rip you off the first opportunity they get. Weird.
SandC, Perhaps the reason why the staff are as you sugest non smilers, Is that they are not payed enough money for the Job, Remember also that most of these people in Turkey dont get good wages work around 12 hours a day 7 days a week and only get the opportunity to work for 6 months then owners downsize the workforce, Also consider the unfavourable remarks from customers purchasing food etc, I for one would never ever wish to work in that conditions.
Mmmmm. I'm not so sure about that, If I was given the senario where I could crame all my work into six months and then have six months off, I think I might quite like it, even if it meant doing 12 hour days.

Whilst accepting that the wages in Turkey don't match out own, the cost of living is probably a quarter, if that, of ours, (dont expect they have to pay 250K for a small semi). I would imagine in the pecking order of jobs out there an airport one probably isn't that bad. Presumably it is a 'government job' so relatively secure.

Everybody the world over knows working with the general public is a nightmare, loads of people do it in many countrys, but you know what you are getting into when you apply. :que
There are 3 of us (self hubby and son) going at the end of mAY We each have a baggage allowance but I usually just take 2 cases so its easier to retrieve at the other end Do we still get allowed 3X£20kgs or will they only allow 2X20kgs because it is in 2 cases? Just wondering
yes i agree with you chris, my mother lives in turkey, her equivalent to our council tax is about £10 a year not around £150-£200 a mth, all the bills in the house are loads cheaper than ours too.

fingers crossed we within the 20 kgs we are leaving in a few hours going to get hubby to weight cases before we leave so i know how much i can buy approx for return lol
fionay, This depends if you have paid for your sons Airline ticket, Iwould think your total allowance would be 60kg for all three providing you have paid for your sons seat, Email the company concerned for verifacation on this, Or look on your Invoice as it clearly states on that what your allowance per person is.
he has a baggage allowance same as us as he is 9 years and I paid the same for his ticket as I did ours Its just I have heard of people being told that an individual bag/case can't be over the allowance(ie one case 30kg one case 10kg) which would mean I would need to take 3 cases to be sure of gettting 3x allowance
fionay,

It depends on the regulations of the airline you are travelling with. Refer to the specific airline threads.

Darrren
fionay ,just be carefull ,if you are allowed 60 and you split that between two cases ,you still have to make sure each case is within the weght limit to be handled ,or the baggage handlers can refuse to lift them ,best to check with your airline .You will see some cases being tagged with an orange sticker this is to let the handlers know that it is heavier so they know to lift it with more care.

BHluepeterno1 :wave:
I agree with darren check very carefully, some airlines are being specific, if 3 people are allowed 15k each, ie 45k in total some airlines are no longer allowing you to 'pool' allowances, so one of 20k and one of 25k would not be acceptable.

Seems daft to me as for years I have had 4 allowances, but only bothered to take three lightly larger cases. But things have changed for some reason. :que
i think the maximum weight per case is now 32 kgs under the regulations i think dazza will varifiy this
It's not so much about the maximum weight per case, as what specific tour operators are now saying. ie thomas cook giving allowances of 15k per person and no pooling of allowances.

If they say no pooling I don't see have you can have a case of 32K anyway ?
We came back through Bodrum yesterday. My wife's case was 2 and a bit kg over but we were not charged for it. Mine was 1 and a bit under and I'm not sure if they allow "pooling" there or not.

A can of Fanta was 1 euro on the transfer bus and 4 or 5 euro at the airport. A few weeks of no customers at all would soon sort that problem out but there will always be a few people daft enough to pay those outrageous prices.
help, not sure if this is the right thread, but i think so.....

someone poted a link for argos, and some luggage weights they do...£5.99 i think they were.....and now i cant find it, and i cant find them on the argos site or book.....

can anyone remeber where the post is please?

karen xx
hi ola!!!!

yeah, gunny got some from e bay, but the argos ones didnt have a sharp hook, meaning i could have them in my hand luggage at dalaman, and then if they say i am too heavy, i can show them on my scales......i wont pay rip off excess prices if i am not over weight.. :)

i cant find the link anywhwere, and i remeber clicking on it, i wrote the number down, then lost the numbers..... :rofl
I'm going to get mine from Argos as well. I will not be ripped off by these thieves at the airport if I can possibly do something about it.

I think its important for us to remember that when the queues are going slow there may be someone at the front fighting not to be unfairly overcharged & by them doing that they are making it better for all of us. :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.