Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I would like to bring this to your attention. I know I can't post a link to it but it is on the Herald on line ((google it) but I am going to quote what has been said by the so called caring people of Goa - The Directate of Women and Children have declared that Mango House -
"Considering all facts, the department felt that CWT is not fit institution to be registered as Children Home under the GCA, and therefore, rejected its application.

Can any of you believe that poiplshadow and Mango House come into this description. I know that lots of you visit and take things up there. These Goan mp's ( I would rather call ar^^^^^les) say that the people who work there are on tourist visas and not working ones but they are not getting paid - they are doing for the love of it as is p shadow. I have never met poipleshadow but do hold his work in high esteem.
I would have posted it but did not think it was allowed

Who can believe this eh :( :(
I hope you will be able to get this decision reversed Rob, everybody knows that you do excellent work with and for the children and their families. You are doing the work the Goan government neglect to do, do they not care about their own people :(
just can't believe this devastating news for Rob and the children :( we visited there in february and took loads of clothes and toothpaste and toiletries, and were shown all around Mango House and they took such lovely photos on our camera for us, and met Rob - he works tirelessly - we were there about 2 hours and had a lovely time, the children are soooo very happy.

we are also taking lots of stuff out when we go in december/january for them as well and have already started to collect it together, Rob if you need support we are there for you - still can't believe this terrible news
Hopefully CWT can comply with the order of getting clearance from the RBI and continue operations. The part about working on tourist visas would be fair enough if they got paid,which I'm sure is not the case!
Youre right Martin, theyre all volunteers and dont get paid :(
It would be so terrible for all the children if they had nowhere to go during the day.
Rob and the volunteers look after them so well and the kids all love the Mango House.
Hi All...

Sorry for the delay... this all decided to 'kick off' while I was in the UK, we got a letter from the director of women and child that our licence RENEWAL had not been accepted. And then it was reported in the paper yesterday while I was on my way to the airport (back to India).

Our previous licence finished 16 months ago and we have been chasing the director of women and child for the last 15 months for our new licence. At the time the last one had finished we were inspected by the DIT (District Inspection Team) who recommended we be given our renewal straight away, in their words from the report

"In view of above the DIT recommends herewith the extension of term at the said children's home"

Unfortunately nothing happened so I spent months chasing the department and in the end they requested that a new application be done, which we completed. (even though there is no requirement under the act for this) Since our last licence completed we have had at least two inspections all of which have positive.

Two weeks ago we received notice that our licence had not been granted, as such we are appealing against this decision. I do expect to receive a positive outcome as we continue to work with women and child.

Until then we have unfortunately stopped the children attending the house (as we have always complied with the Goa Children's Act), unfortunately people seem to have more of an agenda than just the welfare of the children at mind.

Currently we are back to working in the slum and have recently helped 180 children with their school needs. We continue to feed the children, giving packed lunches and have requested a NOC to allow them to continue at the house until our appeal is finalised - we are waiting for a reply.

Thank you to everyone on here who have shouted out in our support. We have always and will continue to work with the best interests of the children at heart.
bureaucratic fools,
Shouting support is the very least we can do, :(
Thanks for the update Rob. Please keep us posted. Best wishes to you and all the children.
Hi, thank you to everyone for their kind comments, we're currently going down to the slums, giving out food and teaching in the slums during the monsoon, not ideal, but at least the children ar getting some good food, we're currently feeding about 60 to 70 per day, the pack lunch goes down in little plastic tiffins which they wash and return the next day, it's funny seeing the volunteers fill them all around mid day, I have to say they're doing a stunning job, the monsoon is also causing more skin problems especially now as the children don't get chance to become dry and no nice hot showers, one family is particullarly bad as they sleep in the doorway to a shop and wade through to their 'kitchen' which is just a piece are blue plastic sheeting... :s
Hi All..

I am currently updating a few photos on the website. It has been quite a while due to the new school year and everything, but I had a spare Sunday free so thought I'd get something done....

Please see the link below if you're interested, it includes photos of the garden (tree house and things) before the monsoon, some musicians and entertainers and the madness of getting all the school things ready for the children. So many uniforms, bags, books etc... (glad it's only once a year!)

http://www.ChildrenWalkingTall.com/Pictures.htm
They are a credit to you :tup those school photo,s bring tear,s to my eyes,they all look so happy
all dressed for school :) see you in november coming out on the 15th.
Ann&John
Hi, glad you liked the school photos, (there was a bit of a problem with the header which is fixed now... (oops) - This year we have helped about 180 children with their school needs, including uniforms, bags, books, we even got CWT pencil cases printed up (they look cool!). The amazing Savita managed to stitch 68 of the girls school uniforms...

We got most of the kids to come in one afternoon after we had filled all their bags and everything, it was crazy but quite well organised. considering...

Since then we've actually had a few more start because we are giving them packed lunches too... :)
Fabulous pictures again Rob. The children all look stunning in their new school uniforms. Hope you are keeping well too.
Glad you like the pictures, yes the children looked great, it was lovely to see them all in their uniforms. The ones attending govt school should receive a set free as well, although the news today says they're still waiting for them... (They've been going to school for the last two months!) Good job we give them free! :)
I'm keeping well, but busy... As well as the photos I've added a few volunteer experiences on the website too... Some of the volunteers have had very kind words... Still trying to do the newsletter...

http://www.childrenwalkingtall.com/Volunteer-Experiences.htm
Hi, just thought I'd update everyone.. I've been a busy bee just recently - I've managed to finish the latest newsletter (always quite a chore), but it's done

May / June Newsletter http://www.childrenwalkingtall.com/Newsletter/2009-05.htm

New School Term
http://childrenwalkingtall.com/Newsletter/Pictures/09-05/Street-Children-Education.jpg
School, Education SponsorshipApril, May and June at "The Mango House" has been a hive of activity as we rushed around buying the new school materials, making the school uniforms, buying and filling the school bags and visiting the schools for new admissions. Aloysius, Trupti and Savita have done most of the work, Aloysius being in charge of talking to parents and schools, Trupti our teacher has sorted all the school resources and made sure every child received the correct items depending on their standard, and finally Savita who was in charge of measuring and stitching of all the non standard school uniforms.

This year we have helped around 180 children, which is more than the previous two years added together. It's a great accomplishment for us and I would like to thank everyone who helped by donating items for their school bags and those who funded the educational programme. A special thank you goes out to Chantel (Xandev) and the Herrod Foundation for donating towards the children's educational needs.

One of the main reasons for children not attending school is the financial one. The government does actually provide items for the children but this is often months late. This year we provided the children with 2 sets of uniforms, raincoat, school bag, text books and a specially printed Children Walking Tall pencil case full of pencils, pens, ruler, pencil sharpener, rubber, pencil crayons and felts.

Providing the resources is not the end either, we continue to track their attendance and achievements and work closely with all the schools. To encourage the children to attend we also provide extra rice quota's for the children. For children who don't miss a days school in 2 weeks we provide the family with a kilo of rice, for those who have between 1 and 3 days absence in 2 weeks the receive 1/2 a kilo. We have also started providing all the school going children in the two local slums with a cooked lunch. The food is cooked at the house and is packaged up and taken down to the slum 5 days a weeks. The menu is exactly the same menu as we provide at the house, and is another encouragement for the children and the families in the slum.

AND..........................

I've also created a test site for our new menu and hoped a few of you could do me the pleasure of testing it (cheeky grin!)

http://www.childrenwalkingtall.org.uk/

Basically we now have pop down menus so you can easily go to any page (do try it), my main worry is that it doesn't work in all browsers, took a while to get it to center.. Would really appreciate any feedback, likes / dislikes... works / fails miserably (if that's the case let me know your browser etc please!)

Also we now have a brand new sparkly blog... Basically I use it as a pre newsletter site (as my news letters take so long), so people can be kept up to date

http://childrenwalkingtall.blogspot.com/

And last but not least we're on Facebook too!

http://apps.facebook.com/causes/323420?m=1c0c4bea

Many Thanks
Hi Rob,

Just to let you know that we will be coming to Goa in Nov, really looking forward to seeing you and the children again as we haven't been out or a couple of years. Loads of stuff in the attic for you but weight is a bit restricted this time so will you let me know what you really are in need of. We will be bringing about 10kgs of soft toys ready for Christmas but can find room for about another 10kgs as we have learnt to travel light!!

Take care
HFH
HFH,

Hi, it will be great to see you again... who are you traveling with? I've just had word from Thompson and all their charity Luggage for November is booked....

What we're in need of.... I have to say as you're coming before Christmas then anything that can be used as Christmas presents would be ideal. Basically small toys, cars, balls, skipping ropes, soap bubbles (or at least pots and blowers that we can fill up here), small dolls, hair bobbles/clips/bangles (nice ones), 'punch balloons' etc are ideal. At the beginning of December we start wrapping and try to equal everything out so each present is roughly the same... last year we did 1000, so would be nice if we could manage the same this year.. Although we don't have much in stock so might only manage 500.. (plus 'mango house' children).

Other items we really need are children's vitamins (sweet type) as we use about 500 a week (when we have enough), otherwise we cut down to just two days a week (200) a week so get through loads

Look forward to seeing you!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.