Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
yes- I heard that all Hilton hotels would refund money but there does not appear anything official on their website.
According to some so called "expert" on the BBC, i could be at least a week before our airspace is reopened.
I'm supposed to be flying out the day before Jimmy but with BA into Tunis. As BA fly there every day exceot Tuesdays and Thursdays I'm hopeful that if I don't get away next Saturday I might get a flight a couple of days later. It's a d.i.y. package so I'll be on shaky territory regarding insurance. :roll:
My Hilton hotel booking was a non refundable booking but they have waived this and will put the money back on my card.

I called the Hilton direct to their central reservations (freephone no on saynoto0870) and was obvioully through to the US.

Good luck everyone I do think that there will be exceptions made as this is a one of.

Sue
Not taken long for Airport to talk of laying off staff has it.My son is in Bratislava went for 3days for his company should have flown home today, now looks like he will have a holiday in the sun(really sunny there today) as I dont expect any change for the next 7 days.
Looking at the wind pattern for the next week its Friday before we get a change from northerlies to southerlies so the only hope is that the volcano stops explosive eruptions before then or they decide that they have been over cautious and we can fly. I am due to fly to Malaga on Wednesday may have to delay a week.

Best of luck Ed
Latest information from NATS; UK airspace will remain closed until 0100 Sunday with a further update at 1500 Saturday afternoon. However don't be surprised if this is extended in to next week (the middle of, and possibly towards the weekend) based on current forecasts for the prevailing conditions and the volcano isn't showing any signs of letting up.

Darren
Thanks for that Darren as you say they are looking at it every 6 hours and then moving it forward.
I am looking at 23rd May and wondering whether we might possibly be clear of it by then but who knows.

If I do decide to rebook to the Caribbean the only consolation is that should it still be around I can still rebook or get a refund.

Sue
Just wondering if anyone can help, sorry if I'm on the wrong forum.
My sister and family (5 of them), finished a cruise in Venice this morning and should have flown back to Manchester. They had been told nothing of the crisis. They were transferred to the airport, which was understandably heaving and confusion reigned. Eventually they were transferred to a hotel 10 mls away and booked in for 2 nights. The rep apparently left them with no information. The insurance policy (Axa) was vague. I have been making calls on her behalf and getting nowhere. Is she likely to be covered for meals and transfers? someone else had managed to book a return flight home, I told her that it is the tour operators responsibility, as part of the package , to get them home. She is keeping all receipts.
Any advice?
Last time, they all got caught up in the opening of Terminal 5 and went on a cruise with no luggage - took months of negotiation for a very unsatisfactory outcome.
Told her to stay in this country in future!!!!!!!!
Thanks.
Dibley,

You'll just have to speak to the insurance company and see what they say. Some insurance companies are treating this is a cancellation and covering it, some as an act of god so aren't. They (you) will just have to do your best to get through the insurance company and see what they say. In the mean time, I'd advise they obtain/keep receipts for any expenses they incur as they'll need to submit them if they are able to make a claim. Any expenses are likely to be limited (daily amount) and the policy is likely to have an excess amount that may even make a claim pointless, for example if it's £200. If they are part of a package deal, the tour operator should sort all the main things out.

Darren
We were lucky in one way that our Liverpool - Malaga flight on Wed 14th was before this lot happened but are now seriously worried that we may not get a flight back to the UK next week. Lots of stories on Spanish TV here of people having to move to other hotels and of others camping out at the airports because they have run out of money.

It's the usual story:- if you're on a package holiday, the travel company should look after you, but if you're travelling flight-only with a budget airline, then you're on you're own. It's going to be interesting see how the travel insurance companies behave over this. 'Act of God' springs to mind,
Can see the knock-on affect of this extending into middle of May,if there is no letup Airlines going to the wall,most planes are leased and the Lease has to be payed also staff big big problems even for the top Airlines.
Dibley, I notice the insurance company is AXA and having had a protracted battle with them recently regarding travel insurance I can't stress enough how vital it is to keep all receipts etc. This in particular applies to phone calls, as they will only pay out for calls you can prove were to themselves and you can end up with a very hefty bill. Sorry to be :offtop but this struck a chord with me.
The insurance company may have something on their web site if you can't get through to the although I doubt it.
Listening to experts on Sky news who say there will be a lot of casualties with the knock on effects of this. His comment was will Governments step and support the Airlines in the way they did the banks?
There will be no food coming into the Country and this will have an effect on say countries like Africa who send produce here and produce will lie rotting because it cant be moved. We have so much coming in from Spain Cyprus USA S. America in fact all over the world.
Talking of taxi drivers and shops at Airports etc and Hotels also losing revenue and puttins some out of business. This whole situation has far more serious than just us getting to or from holidays.
No consolation and my heart in particular goes out to those stuck abroad and running out of money.
My Granddaughter has not made the Ferry booked for them as they were still 100 miles away, They don't know now when they will get another slot so who knows when they will arrive home.

Sue
DIY holidaymakers stranded abroad, are really on their own and will need to read up on their travel insurance small print to see if they will be re-imbursed some of their expenses. With some companies, probably not.'Act of God' and all that. Many companies will probably go bust if they have to pay out millions.
Cosmos tour operators, have just offerred to refund my son his money for his cancelled Goa holiday, but he is at least still at home. Gutted to have lost the holiday, but it could be worse.
I would not bet on this volcano calming down for some months, so flights will be very vulnerable.
They are at the mercy of the direction of the wind and that is so unpredictable, thus the 12 hourly updates we are getting now.
NATS Latest

In the latest Statement from NATS:

The restrictions currently in place over UK airspace will remain in place until at lease 07:00 (Sun Morning, UK Time)

There may be some airspace becoming available in Scotland, Northern Ireland and England, (north of Leeds) until 19:00 (UK time)
This may enable some domestic flights to operate under individual coordination with ATC.

A further update will be given at 21:00 (uk time)

Gower
The BA flight 0209 Heathrow to Miami is now showing cancelled on the BA web site. I have not heard from the Cruise line or the Airline

Sue
Anyone with bookings via AlphaRooms may get some comfort here:
http://www.alpharooms.com/webpages/cobrand/0/contactus.aspx?r=N999&ph=EM02&_$ja=tsid:3106|prd:EM999
It seems they will cancel any components of the holiday booked through them free of charge and refund money paid or change bookings if necessary, though customers will be responsible for the cost of new flights/hotels. As my hotel is booked through them this is a relief as I very much doubt my insurance company will play ball.
Just found out on Delta airlines web site that our flight to Atlanta has been cancelled so it looks like no cruise for us either. We were due to fly via Atlanta to Charleston to cruise on Celebrity Mercury. Like Sue (keela1eva2) we have heard nothing from TA, airline or Celebrity. I know it must be a nightmare for them but how hard is it to send an e-mail? Not impressed as if they told us everything was cancelled we would be able to look for something else.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.