Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I read the following quote (from a flying expert) elsewhere:

"It is far better to be on the ground, wishing you were in the air-- than to be in the air, wishing you were on the ground".
It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular but like I said, people on here who haven't gone on holiday yet, r better off not being stranded.
This is an Act of God wherever you like it or not, and there must be reasons as to why we as a country are not using our airspace to its full capacity.
The advice given to the UK government appears to be flawed. Then remember the scare over swine flu , mad cow etc.As I said in my earlier post there are a lot of aircraft over Europe right now. Very few over the UK.
The advice given to the UK came in part from the Met. Office. How often have their weather forecasts been right given all the technology at Met. office disposal.
:) hamrag, very good point!

huge abba fan, yes that is probably true.

I am still hoping someone can explain why the rest of Europe is flying and we are not.
I know we all have our own opinions but if I can get out to Tunis on Saturday, or even early next week, I'll certainly go and worry about the return flight later, as otherwise I won't be able to get away until September. It is obviously a different situation for those with young children. I have an added problem in that my computer is playing up at present - half an hour on then crashing again so it isn't easy to keep up with the situation. :roll:
There had been talk a few days ago about the wind changing direction this week....anyone know if this is still expected?
I am still hoping someone can explain why the rest of Europe is flying and we are not.

Because the ash from the latest eruptions has now reached UK airspace but hasn't yet been blown over the rest of Europe? This is a very dynamic situation and I suspect that as the cloud moves south and eastwards, that they will start closing their airspace as we are able to re-open ours after the clouds passes by overhaed. This ash won't just disappear in an instant - at the higher altitudes it will keep circulating for some time in the air currents before eventually falling to ground.

As for me, I would prefer that the appropriate authorities err on the side of caution - with reference to earlier comments, the reason why loads of people in the UK didn't in the end die from AIDS, Mad Cow disease or swine flu is precisely because the Government and health authorities took a very cautious, preventative approach and put so much effort into trying to ensure that infection rates were minimised. I regard the fact that relatively few people died as proof that the strategies worked, not that they over reacted. Who knows what the consequences might have been if the measures put in place to ensure the safety of British beef hadn't been put in place? Or died of AIDS because they continued to have unportected sex? People in Africa and South America are still dying in large numbers from AIDS precisely because the education and harm prevention campaigns that ook place here didn't take place there.

Until there's proof that there is NO risk I would prefer them to base their decisions on worst case scenarios. I cannot imagine what it must be like to one of the people with the responsibility of having to take the decisions as to whether to allow flights or not. Personally I think that I would find the pressure intotlerable - imagine the consequences if they get it wrong and planes did drop out of the slies as a result?

SM
Thursday night / Friday the wind will change to SW.

I have just been out for a walk in sunny Scarborough and taking a good look up at the sky its as clear as a bell, the only danger I could detect was from seagull poo which should not be a problem to a jet. And before you say you cant see the ash I would say its so thinly dispersed in the atmosphere I agree with you. Anyone remember the story of the Kings cloths are we all being taken for a ride, or rather not a ride depending on if you are due to fly.

Ed
tpebop wrote:
The advice given to the UK government appears to be flawed. Then remember the scare over swine flu , mad cow etc.As I said in my earlier post there are a lot of aircraft over Europe right now. Very few over the UK.
The advice given to the UK came in part from the Met. Office. How often have their weather forecasts been right given all the technology at Met. office disposal.

Yup, I have been saying the same on here. Many experts are now questioning the European organisations and the Met (Those who provided figures for global warming and global freezing a decade ago!) on their decisions. Other countries airlines are now flying over UK airspace...crazy :banghead:
Yes Edwin...The Emperors new clothes!
:) thanks for the reply SMa. That would make sense though from what I have read and seen the cloud covering us and them is the same one. I am all for caution as long as its reasonable and not over the top.
Hi everyone, sorry to hear about all the disruption to holidays. At London Luton Airport (who I work with) we're advising everyone with trips planned to keep in contact with the airlines and the respective websites where possible for further information. At the moment the flight restrictions are still in place but of course the situation is in constant review so hopefully we will have better news later this afternoon. Like LisaMJ and Edwin mentioned, lets all hope for a change in wind direction!

Claire
half an hour on then crashing again

Sounds like its over heating. Check fans are working and grill is not blocked.
Thing every bodies reaction to delays and cancellations varies
3 members of my family have been effected by the no fly zone including myself

I was due to fly to the maldives on sunday I was stressed and upset on friday and saturday as the the likehod of flying decrease and spent hours on phone trying to get through to travel company We rebooked for 3 weeks to different island but at no extra charges .Glad we did this on saturday because the holiday and dates we rebooked for has now increased by 880 pounds thats for a couple(first choice trying rake a bit of money back here holiday went up 200 pounds later the same day we booked it)

My daughter is with a wedding group stranded maurtias All inclusive Stranded in paridise AI no extra costa and is loving every day of the delay

My niece is stranded in turkey did a fly only with thonpson and booked own hotel the first 2 days were terrible At airport amd she pregnant But as thompson has now provided hotel and meals so things have improved But is anxious to get home for work and other conmiments
I'll certainly go and worry about the return flight

Me too, fly on Sunday. meeting Aslemma out there. :yikes
Looks like Holland has special Ash check KLM web site see the flights leaving and Arriving,lets just hope they are making the correct call?????
A couple of Thomas Cook flights leaving Glasgow :que
Apparently 12 BA long hauls flights are inbound - won't say where they are going to land though....

John
niajones,
niajones wrote:
A couple of Thomas Cook flights leaving Glasgow :que

Not according to their website unless you are talking about the two flights that took off this morning empty flying out to Cancun to get in position to bring passengers home that have been stuck out there. A spokesman reported this on BBC news this morning.

Angie
See you Jimmy. Don't stand me up. :rofl Will give you a ring Friday.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.