Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
We had a brilliant time Mick thanks. Pity you weren't there or we would have popped up to see you. We went the first night into a couple of bars - the Piccadilly and then to the Rock cafe to watch the band.

Pat my friend will have a good laugh at the journey only being 45 mins. After we left the bar we carried on till we came to a motorway type sign which said Villamoura straight up so off we went. (Think perhaps we should have turned right) I think we ended up going inland somewhere near Vale de Carros :shrug.

I know we ended up eventually after crossing scrubland in a bar called Nelsons Bar - full of football scarves - small village place near a new apartment area. :shrug
Mind you on the Thursday the day we left, we got a taxi into Villamoura and realised we couldn't really have walked it.
BTW forgot to say that we booked the hotel through Active holidays and didn't pay anything until we checked out. :D
Hi everyone, just a word of warning, if you are driving a car in Portugal. Never park outside a Post Office and leave your car there for any length of time as it will be impounded by the GNR (Police). Hubby had the experience today, had breakfast then went to go to his car and it had vanished, he rang me thinkin it may have been stolen. He reported it to the GNR only to find it was in their compound, the reason being it is illegal to park outside the post office even though there wasnt any signs saying he couldnt, he had to pay 90 euros to get it back. The thing that annoys me though is, it is ok to park on a zebra crossing, double park and other silly places which could cause an accident. Cheers Jayjan
Hi everyone,
It's gone a little quiet here again, so thought I'd just say that today is my birthday.........yep, 21 again :lol:
Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me.......... :yipee
You can bet that I'll be having a wee taste of the old tinto very soon!!!!
Pat
:rofl :glynis :rofl
Happy Birthday Pat!
:pele :hyper :pele :hyper :pele :hyper :pele
Kath x
Many happy returns,Pat. :glynis
and theres me i only thought you were 16

happy bithday

wizard
Yeah, right, Wiz, but at least I'm still sweet......... :rofl
Thanks everyone..........just started on the tinto in case anyone's interested!!!!!!
Pat
:glynis
PS looks like Wiz has beat me to the tinto........for my bithday!!!!!! :rofl
Whoops - was my day off yesterday so misssed this thread. Hope you had a great birthday Pat :pele
Hi, thinking of trying the Algarve next year but don't know the resorts. I think Albufeira would suit having read brochures.

Looking for nice hotel with sea view, plenty shops and bars to suit 40 somethings.

Any thoughts at all please??
Hi Joolz,

Albufeira would be a good choice. There are two main centres, the Old Town and the Strip area. As 40 somethings, you might like either. The Old Town is more family orientated but still seems to be just as popular with the youngsters as the Strip!

There are two hotels right on the beach in the Old Town, the Sol e Mar and the Rocamar.

Hope this gives you a start.

Good luck!
Oh thanks for that, I'm away to research those hotels right now!!
I've just got back from the Sol e Mar joolz - my review can be read by Clicking HERE

Here is a view from our room:-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/GlynisHT/Picture068.jpg

And here is a view of the hotels location - the hotel is shown on the left of the picture:-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/GlynisHT/Picture067.jpg
Hi Joolz,
I am a 40 something, and I wouldnt go to Albufeira if you paid me. But its a personal thing, and depends what you want. If you want lots of clubbing, its probably great. I personally love Carvoeiro. There is a club or 2 I understand, and it has some really good restaurants and bars, and good beaches nearby.
I go to Portugal nearly every year, and the last time I visited Albufeira for the day was about 10 years ago, but couldnt wait to get away. But as I say, its a personal thing!
Glynis, you have just made me really jealous with that photo. Wish I were there now.

Aah the memories.

Lummie :cry:
The weather looks great.....and you were wondering whether to pack you wellies before you went !!! :lol:
you rotter Glynis,, i was thinking of our autumn holiday and now i fancy Alberfura old town again [ haven't been for 3 yrs]

wizard
:P :lol:
I've got one of the photo's as my screen saver:-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/GlynisHT/Picture018.jpg
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.