Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
ruth24s wrote:
Blimey... I'm hoping not to be taking that much on board... hehe

But, on another note:
1. Can I put shoes in handluggage? Is there a list somewhere of what is ok or not to take on board.
2. I have printed off the boarding passes, but... outbound and inbound are on 1 page of a4. Is this ok? As in outbound on one side and inbound on the other... I could not change the default on the properties under print, it was all greyed out on the pdf. HELP...

You'll need to have them on separate pages or 2 copies of them. You won't be able to use the return part on your inbound as the lower part of the boarding pass is torn off at the gate. Make sure you don't tear it off either, the gate agent has to do it.

Darren
Returned yesterday from our break using Ryanair flights..... I'd read so much about their strict hand luggage regulations that I passed on using my normal squishy Eastpak bag as it could possibly exceed Ryanair's width restriction if full. At both Leeds Bradford and Alicante I saw many hand luggage bags that definitely were wider than 20cm which is only about 7.5", I still wouldn't risk going over mind you!

If you reserve your seat you are automatically given priority boarding.

As there isn't any back of the seat nets you do end up with bits n bobs on your lap, if for instance you get a drink there's nowhere to put your book etc. On our return flight the steward came around with a carrier bag (not a bin bag) for rubbish! But, due to the quick turn around from the inbound flight we entered the plane with their rubbish still on the floor. :(
Our landing was dire due to extremely high winds at LB. I was in the front row and could plainly hear the stewards sat opposite saying 'If he can't make it he'll have to take off again, fingers crossed he makes it' Gulp. Apparently the alternative was to divert to Manchester. We rattled about a bit and bumped quite hard as we landed but well done to the pilot! Passengers with window seats said that we approached sideways....
Glynis HT Admin wrote:
We rattled about a bit and bumped quite hard as we landed but well done to the pilot! Passengers with window seats said that we approached sideways....

Glad you're back in one piece! The strong winds over the past few days have made flying interesting and I suspect a challenge for pilots, although many I know do enjoy that on the quiet. With the winds coming from the south or southwest generally at the moment and the runway at LBA being northwest-southeast, aircraft need to crab on approach so you will come in with the nose in to the wind and the aircraft flying sideways compared to the ground. Oposite rudder and aileron will be applied to straighten the aircraft and line up with the runway before touchdown. This is where pilot skill comes in, they make it look so easy! LBA is a challenge anyway because of it's position and the layout of the runway so any landing you walk away from is a good one as they say!

Darren
The steward did say on landing that if anyone could do it our pilot could as he was 'the best'.

We had to disembark from the rear doors only as it was too windy to leave from the front exit. While we were waiting (we were in the front row) the pilots came out and were talking to the 2 passengers that had been sitting next to me. (their son is starting his training at Oxford in August). The co-pilot who looked about 24 (so young!) had also been to the same training academy.

The flight after ours had to take off again which would have put the fear of god into me so am glad we had our pilot :tup
Looks like your landing made the news http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article3743475.ece

I'm not flyanscare s biggest fan but the article is wrong , apparently there was 300 on board ( not legally possible ) unless MOL has been selling standing only tickets and the picture they used wasn't even a Ruinair plane , looks like a Bmi A320 :think

We had to go around when coming into land at TFS last year because of extreme windy conditions , bit scary at the time ,
That wasn't our flight Andy as we were inbound from Alicante & didn't depart until 9.05pm. Am sure we were late on take off as we were still in the queue at 8.45pm then went down to boarding and saw the plane taxi in. After watching the arrivals disembark we were hurried onto the flight.

Friends seem to think that the outbound flight was touch and go due to the high winds as apparently flights had been cancelled :que .
sounds like out ryanair flight last year,coming home from lanzarote.the plane was quite a way off the terminal,so had to be bussed to it,we had priority boarding so were some of the first on.anyone who has been to lanzarote will know how windy it can be,and boy it was blowing this day.as we were waiting for everyone to board you could feel the wind on the aircraft.
never before have i felt that we wouldnt make take off as i did this day,we were flung left and right,but high five to the pilots,up we went,i was nearly in tears,from fright and relief ;)
i am not a lover of flying,but love my holidays so needs must :tup
glynis i didnt know that if you reserve your seating you automatically get priority boarding,we always purchase priority,might be worth reserving our seats.
myboyblu wrote:
glynis i didnt know that if you reserve your seating you automatically get priority boarding,we always purchase priority,might be worth reserving our seats.

I paid 20.00 GBP Passenger Fee: Reserved Seating, that was return extra leg room seats with priority boarding so worth it I reckon. :tup
thanks glynis,defo going to have a look at that....although am not sure if i can book extra legroom seats with us having a 14 yrs old daughter....are these seats usually by exits,so have to be occupied by adults (in case of emergency).it just rings a bell after reading through previous 'rules and regs' when flying with ryanair. ;)
I don't think you need to buy extra leg room seats myboyblu, here's an extract:-

RESERVED SEATING

The option to reserve certain seats is available on all Ryanair flights

A reserved seat in row 2, 5, 15, 32, 33 and (emergency exit) rows 1, 16 & 17 can be purchased in advance online or at a call centre/airport*. The priority boarding service is included in the above Reserved Seat fee.

To sit in an emergency exit seat (row 1, 16 or 17) you must be:

16 years or older
Willing and able to help in the event of an emergency
Not traveling with an infant
Not using a seat belt extender (which could get tangled in an emergency)

http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions#regulations-priorityboarding
Hi Darren. Any idea when Ryanairs Bristol-Faro winter 2014 flights will be released. Have inquired elsewhere .Was informed beginning of April.Then it was mid April.Then it was imminent.Seems no one knows..TAI
pipefitter,

It's normally 9-12 months before the departure date. Just keep checking on their website.

Darren
Hello,
Just returned from Faro, first time flying with Ryanair and it was not that bad. Is this airline the same as easyjet in that the cheapest seats go first? I was looking at booking for October 2013 but flights for half term seam high, just wondering if I missed them. If anybody could advise on what happens re flight release I would appreciate it. The 3 hour flight was good for our family. :-) From Manchester!
ruth24s,

Pricing is similar to Easyjet, you need to get in there first to get the cheap seats then pricing varies subject to demand. Flights are generally released 9-12 months prior to the departure date, but keep checking.

Darren
We use ryanair for our flights to Faro every July for the bike rally, we have managed to get some very cheap seats if you are prepared to watch the flights from going on sale on a daily basis. Started watching flights in oct & booked last wed as prices had fallen to a very reasonable price, ( this is from LBA).
vonny41 wrote:
We use ryanair for our flights to Faro every July for the bike rally, we have managed to get some very cheap seats if you are prepared to watch the flights from going on sale on a daily basis. Started watching flights in oct & booked last wed as prices had fallen to a very reasonable price, ( this is from LBA).

I didn't realise that they would sometimes drop nearer the time also, I've been looking for some flights for somewhere in September and obviously have missed the boat with the just released 'just out' prices. Would I be better hanging on for while? We aren't sure where to go yet :think
Glynis,

It's a risk hanging on really. If flight get full, availability may be a problem and if there's not many seats left, prices can stay high. It's all dependant on supply / demand so you take your chances really. If you aren't fussed where you go, you might be able to get a bargain flight last minute, but your choice may be restricted.

Darren
Cheers Darren will keep mooching. Was truly miffed the other day, was on Jet2's website and saw flight out £5 return £17, went to do a dummy run as hadn't spoken to friend, and first price came up at £44, when I went back to search they'd all jumped up in price - Grrr
I recently booked a flight and was pleased to see that it then went up after I had booked it but not so delighted when looking the next day and it had gone down to below what I had paid for it ! ?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.