Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Since tinned tuna isn't particularly expensive it wouldn't be a disaster if it was confiscated so I would be inclined to risk it. I know I had an unopened jar of cherry jam, bought in a Danish supermarket, confiscated in Billund a couple of years ago though. :roll:
I think it's fair to say that jam could be described as a " gel " and if its over 100ml / g then it would be confiscated , I know these items in isolation seem innocent but they have to follow rules that are very black and white . I really think that tuna in a tin would be allowed , if it is confiscated then politely ask why as it would have to be defined as either a liquid , gel paste or cream , and I'm struggling to think of it being any of them . To be fair to security staff throughout all airports they do have to confiscate a lot of stuff and can easily fill a wheelie bin in a day , some people struggle with the 100ml limit while others cannot even comprehend that water is a liquid when their bottle of Evian is flung towards the full to the brim wheelie bin by exasperated staff .
It's a bit worrying that people don't realise water is a liquid!! I'm a fairly new flyer, and even I figured that out.
Hello,
We are flying to Faro on Wednesday and wondered how Ryanair works... as in, I have only flown with easyjet, so do you get a seat number? How does hand luggage work? Is hand luggage weighed? I have 15k on checked in luggage, so that will be ok.

AND if I do online check in, when do I need to be at the airport (Manchester)

Sorry if my questions are dim, but I don't know.
Ruth24s,

Ryanair don't allocate seats. Its like a bus, you just get on and find a seat. Some seats are restricted as they cost extra, but these are marked as you board. Just find a seat and its your. Once you've checked in online, baggage can be dropped off at the baggage drop off desk at the airport. Hand luggage is strictly monitored so don't be tempted to exceed stated limits as you'll be charged. Its checked at the boarding gate. You are permitted a carrier bag for duty free items when departing Manchester. Bear in mind this offer is not the norm and only available at Manchester and a handful of others. The recommended time to be at the airport is 2 hours before departure like any other flight. If you wish to arrive later, that's fine but make sure you leave plenty of time to get through security and get to the gate. You've no option but to use online checkin, its the only way with Ryanair, there's no airport checkin. Make sure you checkin for you return flight before you go and keep your boarding card safe unless you plan to do it once you get where you're going.

Darren
Oh, thank you so much for that, I had not realised. Phew, good job I posted. Your a total star... Are there size/weight limits for hand luggage?

I'm going to look now and check in before we go.
ruth24s,

The limit is 10kg with a maximum bag size of 55cm X 40cm X 20cm. Details are on Ryanairs website.

Darren
It might be a good idea to print two copies of both outbound and inbound boarding passes. If you do not present a pre-printed boarding pass, the charge at the airport was £40 / €40 each way per person last time I checked.

As Darren has said, they are extremely strict on both hold and hand baggage limits, both weight as size. If they think your hand baggage looks as if it may exceed the limits they will have you put it in the gauge just before you board the plane.
luci HT Mod wrote:
It might be a good idea to print two copies of both outbound and inbound boarding passes. If you do not present a pre-printed boarding pass, the charge at the airport was £40 / 40 each way per person last time I checked.

As Darren has said, they are extremely strict on both hold and hand baggage limits, both weight as size. If they think your hand baggage looks as if it may exceed the limits they will have you put it in the gauge just before you board the plane.

It's gone up a bit since then Lucy. It's £70/€70 per boarding pass per flight now.
Thanks for the info. I thought it had gone up and that is why I said last time I checked as I didn't have time to check the current fees last night.

The cost of baggage has also gone up. We don't mind paying the supplement for baggage and just factor it into the true cost of the flight, but the Ryanair prices are ridiculous.
they have also added a change to hold luggage charges.

Previously if you made a booking and then at a later stage went back into the booking to add hold luggage you paid the same amount as if you added it at the time of the booking.

Now there is a 2 tier payment level for baggage and (as you would expect) an extra premium to pay if you add hold baggage at a later stage rather than at the time of the booking.
I have done the online check in now. Yes I noticed that the luggage had gone up if you book after the initial booking. We are just taking 1 15k case for out week in Portugal, will put some in the hand luggage and make do. 10k is a good amount really, just need to find a case now!
Ok, what do you think? I have got a bag to take on board and the dimentions are 51x34x19... What's your opinion's about the 51 (1cm over) but the other dimentions are less!

Grr... I did not want to lay out 30 quid for a bag really!
ruth24s,

As long as you can squash it in to the measuring basked if request, it'll be fine. They don't get a tape measure out and measure the dimensions, it's just done with the baskets.

Darren
hehe... I'm sorry, but I just did not know if they were that pedantic over things. So, hand luggage... check :-) Thanks for that guy's.
if you have a problem with it fitting into the the cardboard box insist you try the metal 'cages' to see if your hand luggage fits them - you may need a lot of pushing and grunting to get it in and importantly getting it out !!!
Blimey... I'm hoping not to be taking that much on board... hehe

But, on another note:
1. Can I put shoes in handluggage? Is there a list somewhere of what is ok or not to take on board.
2. I have printed off the boarding passes, but... outbound and inbound are on 1 page of a4. Is this ok? As in outbound on one side and inbound on the other... I could not change the default on the properties under print, it was all greyed out on the pdf. HELP...
Hi Ruth , you can put shoes in hand luggage , for a list of what is allowed / not allowed in hand luggage it is in the thread on here Hand luggage regulations , also the airline and airport websites will have lists and information too, as regards your boarding passes , why just not print another copy and put them safely away for when you fly back

TFS1 wrote:
they have also added a change to hold luggage charges.

Now there is a 2 tier payment level for baggage and (as you would expect) an extra premium to pay if you add hold baggage at a later stage rather than at the time of the booking.

No surprise there ;) ( as you would expect ) very funny Chris !!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.