Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi all.....

Anybody got any advice on what jabs we might need for Margarita?

Cheers!
We had Typhoid & hep a (i think)
Best thing is to ask your doctor what jabs you need , don`t need to have the yellow fever IF you are not staying overnight on the mainland. visit
http://www.margaritaislandguide .com for a good deal more tips etc. including some superb photo`s of the island.
I'm goin to the Dom Rep next year and I'm very afraid of the malaria tablets.

I've heard lots of people tell me not to bother because there's no risk, but then other people have told me I definitely need them.

I also have a very big fear of nausea and sickness and if I suffer these side effects from malaria tabs, I don't know if I could carry through the whole course.

Please could somebody clarify the facts for me please, it would be a great help!!!

Thank you, Heather :)
Hi Heather

The Dom Rep shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti and the main malaria risk area is close to the Haitian border, however outbreaks do occur from time to time in tourist areas often associated with migrant Haitian workers. So why take a chance ? The side effects of the anti-malarials are minor in comparison to the effects of catching malaria.

The main anti-malarial for Dom Rep is Chloroqine which can be bought over the counter in Pharmacies. There are 2 brand names - Avlochlor and Nivaquine both of which are cheap ( under £5 for a course of tablets ). Avlochlor is widely reported to taste foul but I can testify ( from 8 caribbean trips - 6 to Dom Rep ) that Nivaquine do not taste so I would recommend them to you. It costs slightly more than Avlochlor but in my book is worth the difference.

You take 2 tablets a week before you go and then 2 more at weekly intervals. For a 2 week holiday you will need 7 doses ( 14 tablets per person ) and it is absolutely essential that you take them all. The best time to take them is with or after food rather than on an empty stomach. If you are affected by nausea it is only likely to be in the couple of hours after taking the tablets - if you are prone to nausea maybe an anti- nausea preparation such as Stugeron ( often taken for travel sickness ) might be sensible - talk to your Pharmacist about this option.

For the small minority who can't take Chloroquine there is an alternative called Proguanil, so all is not lost if you find yourself amongst this small minority.

I suggest you look back through the posts on this topic and aslo have a look at http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/namerica.htm and also the other malaria pages on this web-site. This also covers injections on the "Tabs and Jabs" page including child doses etc

It seems that Boots normally sell Avlochlor so try an independant Pharmacy and ask them to order Nivaquine for you if they don't stock it, if that is what you decide to get.

Stay healthy and enjoy

Scubaman
I've just returned from the DR in October and I was vaccinated against polio, tetanus, diptheria, Hepatitis and typhoid before I went. How long do these injections cover me for??

I'm returning in May and was wondering if I need to have any injections before I go again.

sam
Hi Sam

See the table at the bottom of the page on this link for effective periods.

http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/vaccines.htm

For tetanus it depends on if you have had a full course or just a single injection - your practice nurse will be able to advise from your medical records. If you are going to travel regularly then it would make sense to have the course of tetanus injections.

Scubaman
Hi thanks for the reply, I'm going to see the nurse next week and sort it with her.
At least I dont have to have the full set of jabs this time.

samx
:D Should you take Malaria tablets for holidays in the Dom Rep,
we are going to Puerta Plata

*Edit to restore normal font, please don't post in bold. Thanks. Pippy :D *
Hi Tracey

Please see my response to Heather - about 3 posts before your post which should cover your question.

Scubaman
Hi, could anyone help me with some info on vacinations needed for cuba and also how far in advance do you need to have them done, ..we go mid june, also reading mixed info on how to take my money eg..some say sterlin cash some sterling cheque, also american $ even canadian$.. i really dont know !!! also any other usefull info would be really great...roll on june.....Ooop's sorry ment to mention mozzies are they a prob in june, will i need the insect plug in, in the room, oh yes and is the normal 2 pin adaptor used for the mains, thats it now.....I think ????
Hi lovethesun.

You should find alot of your answers to your questions here.
CLICK HERE

Cheers Ken. :)
Hey thanx great, that was quick, i will take a look, x
Vaccinations are recommended for Cuba, you have loads of time to get them have a look at http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/travel/caribbean/cuba.shtml

Take cash the exchange rate for cheques is lower, you can take GBP or Euro we had no problem with either, make sure the notes are in good condition (no rips or marks), don't take USD they have a surcharge of 10%. The exchange rate for convertiable pesos CUC is the same as the USD less 8%, any credit card or cheque linked to a US bank will not be accepted

We were there in May last year the mozzies wasn't a big problem, take a spray containing deet, and plug in for the room to be on the safe side. We took a euro 2 round pin adaptor and a American style 2 flat pin adaptor the hotel we stayed at the sockets took either type. Insulated mugs are a good idea to keep drinks cool on the beach or by the pool
  • Edited by Garin 2006-01-08 17:11:56
thanx for that info,
I know this subject must have been covered somewhere but cannot find it. What is the current advice for Brits travelling to Cuba. I have been told you do not need Malaria tablets for this destination. Thanks
Lorraine
Hi all,

Just booked to go to varadero, Cuba staying at the riu turquesa in 4 weeks time. Tonight read in brochure that typhoid and hepatitis A are reccomended. Dont really fancy having them if not needed. Do many people go without having them.
Should have thought about this before I booked I suppose, I would be grateful to here anyones views on this.

Also any feedback on the hotel would be helpful.

Thanks Karen
Although these vaccinations are not necessary a legal requirement to enter the country, please consider that not taken them might invalidate your travel insurance if you were unfortunate enough to fall ill during your holiday with the illness such vaccination is to protect.

Mark :D
Hi Karen

I've merged your post to the existing topic to keep all the information in one place :wink:

For questions/replies regarding the RIU Turquesa, please use THIS TOPIC.

Many Thanks.

Pippy :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.