Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
health
451 Posts
Hi, if you go in to your local pharmacy they will be able to tell you exactly what you need, i am a Pharmacist and i can assure you we have the most up to date recomended advice!
I cant remember off the top of my head what is needed for mexico, im going to have to check tomorrow though as i've just booked a holiday to cancun myself!
Off to the Dominican Republic on Monday - so excited. Was going to pay £64 pp for Mallarone however our doctor recommended we use mAvloclor 250mg, chloroquine phosphateallarone and for 2 people it was less than £6 a lot different from £128!!!
Last year we had Typhoid and Hep A jabs for the Dominican Republic. we have since had a booster. My sister went for jabs yesterday and had to have Hep B as well. Has anyone else been recommended to have Hep B too?
We've just booked an 8 day tour in Venezuela and a week on Margarita. Been checking out which vaccinations and anti-malaria tabs we should be taking. Seems we're ok with Avochlor and Paludrine (have taken both many times and had little side effects.) We're also up to date with all our innoculations except Yellow fever (which is recommended.) Any one have any feedback on this jab? Any adverse reactions experienced? Also regarding insect repellent. I buy citronella oil and put a few drops into my sun creams & body lotion. The mossies don't like it at all. I use DEET products too and have managed to escape being bitten on our last couple of holidays.
Gail
HI,

my wife and i had the yellow fever jabs prior to going to india a few years ago, and we didnt suffer with any side effects.

Eifion
Hi EIFION,
Thanks, that's good to know. We'll be getting the jab anyway but I hoped it wouldn't cause us any problems. Didn't know Yellow fever was recommended for India. We go there quite often and never had to have it.
Regards
Gail
Hi Gail,

yes after i posted the reply i realised what i had said, we were on a world trip at the time and the jabs were for other stops , african safari or even the maldives maybe.

regards,

Eifion. :D
Btw, the Yellow fever vaccine contains egg so may not be suitable for anyone with an active egg allergy. I had an egg allergy in childhood but had no probs after my yellow fever jab, apart from the bill!
Wife went to Boots yesterday to buy malaria Tablets for our trip to Cuba in 4 weeks. The lady there said in her book it said you didn't need to take Malaria Tablets for Cuba. Could anyone confirm this as i thought that this was a requirement for all of the caribbean...???
Hi donny7170 you don`t need malaria tablets for cuba but make sure your injections are up to date when and where are you going.
Going to Varadero 4 weeks today. We haven't had any injections as weren;t going to bother with them. Would you reccomend to have them and which ones are required..??
Hi you will need typhoid,hep a, tetanus, diphtheria and polio you really need to get them this week if you go in 4 weeks so they are in your system i would ring your gp tomorrow to arrange this, they are normally all free and given by the practise nurse Don`t go without them it is to much of a risk, as this is a third world country and there hygeine standards are nowhere near like ours.
For info on Jabs etc http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/travel/caribbean/cuba.shtml
as ali said malaria is not a problem in Cuba and the effects of the tablets are not to good
hiya, the chemist in boots recommended mozzy products containing DEET too, apparently it works! she said to just check the label and make sure it contains it.
Hi, am off to Mexico in July. Had Hepatitus A and Typhoid yesterday. Doc recommended taking malaria too, but is not essential!!! :lol:
took my first lot of malaria tablets last night. Was very scared I'd have side effects but I'm fine. We had to take Avlaclor so the chemist said but we're both feeling ok!! yey!
Hi Everyone

Off to Dominican republic next month, I went to the doctors today and saw the nurse, has advise that we will need to take Typhoid and Hep A, as well as Malaria tables, even the children. Can anyone advise if Malaria tables are really needed.

Thanks

Mishie
Hi again Mishie!!

I had my TWO lots of jabs last week, (sore arm now! :cry: ), so did the children.. bless them... ready for the D.R next month..

My husband is a rufty tufty soldier and even he's taking the malaria tablets on the advice of the Army doctor.. so i guess if anyone should know whether they were nedded, he would!

Just go to Boots and get the Avloclor, which are the cheapest version you can get i think, but just as effective. (hardly any side affects either) Compared to the symptoms of Malaria, taking one tablet a week for four weeks isnt such a hardship. Its always better to be safe than sorry..

Good lord - i sound just like my mother!!!! :shock:

hope this helps

tallulahJ
Thanks Tallulah J

Will get myself off to the chemist today then, not taking my injection for another 3 weeks yet, have you given malaria tablets to the children as well.

Mishie
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.