Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi Mishie and Tulluhah,
Thought I'd let you know that Avloclor are £3.99 for a pack of 20 in Boots but only £2.15 in Superdrug (Pharmacy). As an adult you will only need 14 each for the whole course, children aged 1-4,3.5 tablets, children aged 5-8, 7 tablets and aged 9-14, 10.5 tablets for the whole course.
Lorraine
Hi lorraine

Thanks for that! i'll get our tabs from superdrug now.

Do you know whether the tabs can be crushed for the children, as i know mine wont swallow tabs. Otherwise i'll just give them the syrup.
cheers

tallulah J x
Don't know if they can be crushed and mixed with chocolate or something. But I do know they taste horrible if you get one stuck in your throat.
Thanks Lorraine

I have just come from Boots, and they advised me to take Avloclor, as you only need to take one a week, never got, as you start taking a week before you go. Will be going to superdrug to get now.

Thanks again

Mishie
thats strange, the chemist in the boots I went to said you needed two a week of avlaclor, and thats what it says on the packet too. :?
Yes, for adults two tablets, but only once a week!!
yes two a week and no way would i advise crushing them and putting in food. they taste vile and leave a horrid taste in your mouth even when swallowing whole. i dread the day comes to continue my course.

Monday here i come :(
Might be a good idea to get the dosage clarified by a pharmacist/GP if anyone's at all unsure.
Also, some drugs shouldn't be crushed as it may affect the way they work, so do please seek professional medical advice :wink:

Pippy :D
Our children are 7 and 9 and they had the tablets. The eldest was a complete star and quickly mastered the art of swallowing them down. It was trial and error witht the youngest, but in the end we found the best way, was to disguise her tablet in a spoon of icecream,and then she just had a drink afterwards to make sure it had completely gone. We were never told there was a syrup when we went into Boots and the pharmacist there said he thought it would be OK to crush them, but as others have said they do taste vile and from that point alone i wouldn't suggest it :!:

Pam
Hi,

I bought the tablets from Boots last week and I was told that you have to take 2 per day once per week. My son who is 11 has to take 1.5 tablets once per week. Boots were doing a special offer of buy 2 and get the 3rd pack free. Worked out at £8.00 so superdrug is still cheaper.
I realise I am on the wrong topic but can anyone tell me where I can buy an mosquito plug which will work in the Dominican Republic. Can I use a european one but plug it into a travel adaptor or will that make it less effective?

Thanks
Keanda,
Don't know which hotel you are staying at but the Rius in Bahia Maimon have plug sockets which accept either flat pin or round pin two prong plugs.
Lorraine
Hi

When is the best time to have jabs etc for the caribbean, we do not go until Jan 07. We have had several jabs in the past for Turkey but what injections are needed for the Dom Rep.

Many thanks

kazee
Hi Kazee

We've just had our jabs for D.R. Its reccommended that you get them about 6 weeks before your holiday.

At the moment the current ones are Typhoid and Hepatitis A (either the 1st jab or the booster, depending on what you are already covered for).

I saw my Practice Nurse just yesterday, and she said the risk of malaria in D.R is low. so its up to the individual whether they take the anti-malarial tablets or not.. but then as she said "it only takes one bite!"

As a family we're still going to take them, especially as we've got young children. Hope this info helps!

regards
tallulah J x
I assume it would be very similar to those we needed for Mexico: Tetantus, Polio and Diptheria boosters, plus Hep A and Typhoid. You need to have them at least 4 weeks in advance of your visit, so check with your surgery as to how they run their vaccination appointments. We didn't realise that our surgery only did them on dedicated clinics once every three or four weeks and very nearly left it too late as the form we filled in said have them done 2 weeks before!! Better to do it sooner than later especially with it being just after Christmas

Pam
Thank you Talluhahjemima amd keepupwith .... huge help.

thanks again

kazee
im going to barbados in 10 wks annd was wondering when i should get my holiday vacinations.
I suggest that you contact your GP who is best to advise on medical questions such as you have asked.

Mark :D
Hi Can any 1 advise me on what injections you have to have for the DR, just got back from Cuba and had to have 3-4 for there didnt no what 1's it would be for DR!

Many Thanks

Lovethesun
I had diptheria, tetanus, polio, hep a and typhoid injections done for the dominican republic and I also took the malaria tablets.

sam
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.